Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Replace HID bulb with LED?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 09:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Replace HID bulb with LED?

Has anyone tried this on the Q? My HIDs are starting to go pink and I thought that LEDs would be brighter, ignite instantly and maybe would last longer.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Would be interesting to see if this is plug and play. I installed LED bulbs with power converters on my friend's GLI, which had halogens. The look was amazing and so was their pure white color. Didn't throw any bulb error codes either.

My guess is it should work, just need to make sure you get the D1S/D2S fitment and make sure they come with a small ballast that eliminated the bulb out error message
Old 03-14-2018, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by jetsfan101
Would be interesting to see if this is plug and play. I installed LED bulbs with power converters on my friend's GLI, which had halogens. The look was amazing and so was their pure white color. Didn't throw any bulb error codes either.

My guess is it should work, just need to make sure you get the D1S/D2S fitment and make sure they come with a small ballast that eliminated the bulb out error message
The units I see online seem to have voltage transformers, so I'm guessing the 'car' wouldn't know it was something different. But I do suspect that the transformers probably get pretty hot.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I would not replace HID's with LED that is going backwards...
LED's presently can not be brighter than HID, also the LED's for headlights get quite hot so they have fans on the back of them which makes it impossible to now enclose the headlight assembly as the FAN assembly hanging off the back sticks out too much AND it needs air flow, so even if you could get the rubber backing to close it cant cool itself.
HID's are cheap, just check amazon. I replaced mine with 8000k's I think under 20$ each.
I did replace my Daily driving lights with LED bulbs though, their resistors for can bus always fail the first check so I get annoying lights out warning till it checks again.
Oh well, i'll live.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by bspurloc
I would not replace HID's with LED that is going backwards...
LED's presently can not be brighter than HID, also the LED's for headlights get quite hot so they have fans on the back of them which makes it impossible to now enclose the headlight assembly as the FAN assembly hanging off the back sticks out too much AND it needs air flow, so even if you could get the rubber backing to close it cant cool itself.
HID's are cheap, just check amazon. I replaced mine with 8000k's I think under 20$ each.
I did replace my Daily driving lights with LED bulbs though, their resistors for can bus always fail the first check so I get annoying lights out warning till it checks again.
Oh well, i'll live.
THANK YOU, I did not know about the cooling needs for LED headlights. I had them in my Ducati and they did not even have heatsinks - so I assumed...

Thanks again.
Old 03-26-2018, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

for what it's worth, there is no issue of overheating on my friend's GLI. Bulbs have the fans built in and headlight housing has a cap.