Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Shimmy is back

Old 03-10-2016, 01:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shimmy is back

Posted a few weeks ago that I had a intermittent front end steering wheel shimmy. I pumped up the tires a bit and it went away... but like I said, it's intermittent. It's been the same shimmy at 75-80 mph.
I balanced the tires today and asked to stand next to the machine, they were all off by a little bit, but anyway the tech zero'd it out with new weights. I pay my bill and get on the freeway... 75 mph there's the shake again.
The car is 2014 with 25,000 miles on it... I am really bummed I don't know what it is. The rims are perfect and no I haven't hit anything or went over any huge pot holes.
Going back to 2008, I had an A5... same problem. I had to sell it because even after replacing the tires 3 times within 3 months and then replacing control arms the shimmy never went away. I thought I would give Audi a try again as I love the Q7 and it has been very practical for me. This type of problem drives me nuts as 85% of my driving is to work on the freeway at these speeds but, unfortunately, it will be up for sale.
Old 03-10-2016, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What does the dealer say? Change PS fluid? Are you sure it's not the road?
Old 03-10-2016, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Swap the wheels front to back on the same side.
That sounds like a faulty tyre to me.
I notice a slight lumpiness to the ride after the car has been parked for few days un-used but it soon goes and I have never had any real problem with wheels being out of balance, even at 135k now.
Old 03-10-2016, 02:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by lentiman
What does the dealer say? Change PS fluid? Are you sure it's not the road?
Positive it's not the road, have driven in different cities / highways. No difference. Dealer blames tires if this didn't fix it, the tires have 1,000 miles on them and if I want to try 2 new tires the cost is over 700 dollars + tax. (Like I said I played this game once with the A5)
Old 03-10-2016, 02:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Edd W
Swap the wheels front to back on the same side.
That sounds like a faulty tyre to me.
I notice a slight lumpiness to the ride after the car has been parked for few days un-used but it soon goes and I have never had any real problem with wheels being out of balance, even at 135k now.
Will do this tomorrow and report back. I really love the Q7 and don't want to sell it but I will have to if this doesn't work.
Old 03-10-2016, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

did you download my new TSB on tire shimmy? Post it last night. There is a new way to balance are tires.
Old 03-10-2016, 05:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I read it and it states that no solution is available, and that all tires need to be balanced at 36 PSI? Recommended for front on my tires is 44 and 49 in the rear.

Repositioning the tire on the rim might also help as per the TSB. I'll look into this. However, still disappointed as any other 'regular' car, you go in , balance the tire and go home.
Old 03-10-2016, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

did they change the way the tire is balance on the machine? Like having to used the new 5 bolt hole line up instead of the common cone balance lock?

Now my book said 35 front and back unload, and loaded 44F & 49R. Does your say this?
Old 03-10-2016, 08:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had the same exact problem. I had my dealer perform a road force balance at 35/36 psi and it came out perfect. This was done after 3 regular balances which didnt resolve the issue.
I highly recommend you get the dealer to do a road force balance.
Old 03-11-2016, 04:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by hawk570
I had the same exact problem. I had my dealer perform a road force balance at 35/36 psi and it came out perfect. This was done after 3 regular balances which didnt resolve the issue.
I highly recommend you get the dealer to do a road force balance.
I did road force balance but not at that PSI, I'll try.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shimmy is back