Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Sim Card & Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sim Card & Navigation

We have just purchased a pre-owned 2015 Audi Q7 Prestige S-Line. No sim card came with the car.
I have 2 questions.

1. How do we update the maps? Is it just through a dealer or cd/dvd or sd card?

2. What sim card do we obtain? I have checked the Manual and it appears that only a T-Mobile sim is to be used. At $25 per month it seems a bit excessive. Are there other better options available to be used.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-19-2018, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Moi2
We have just purchased a pre-owned 2015 Audi Q7 Prestige S-Line. No sim card came with the car.
I have 2 questions.

1. How do we update the maps? Is it just through a dealer or cd/dvd or sd card?

2. What sim card do we obtain? I have checked the Manual and it appears that only a T-Mobile sim is to be used. At $25 per month it seems a bit excessive. Are there other better options available to be used.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
I too have a 2015 and researched both of these topics thoroughly.
SIM:
Some say that they have set up different sims successfully, but I found them all to be around the same amount in the end.
So I called Connect, they sent me a T-Mobile sim free!
I did sign up for service to try it, but I had many issues, because I did not have it set up right. Once the Charleston dealer dude set it up right, zero issues!
Best part was wifi for our devices!
But for the extra data on our mobile plan, this would have been a waste for that.
Google search is Kool though! I used it many times.
NAV:
You can get CD/DVD or SD update, but it is pricey!
There are some that say they have an update available, but I have found it to be trying to get a hold of a copy from them.
Either way, it needs updating! Mine is missing many things!
If money is not an issue, go to the dealer and have them do it!
Apparently the update needs a special code to activate?

I have done a lot of things to mine, if you need any advice.
Old 11-19-2018, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

I got my 2015 S5 to work with an AT&T sim from an old iPad. Everything works. Google maps, Google Online destination search, sending destinations from my iPad to the car, weather etc. it’s cool and costs $10 on my shared data AT&T plan. For whatever reason ( contracts, lawyers, technical issues?) I can’t get the 2015 Q7 to work that way. Audi Connect told me that it was eligible to switch it to AT&T that I could ask my dealer to do it. Dealer kept it for a day and said it was not possible that I would have to go with the T Mobile sim and plan at $25? per month. Not worth that to me. I just use my phone and Apple Maps search for destinations and Google maps for travel and road trips. Google Maps allows downloading area where one is traveling so as not to be dependent on cellular . That’s pretty handy in National Parks and other remote areas.
Old 11-20-2018, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thankyou both for the help.

Audi is sending me a free T-Mobile sim. I will make a decision after it arrives. Audi also advised me that the maps can only be updated at a dealer,
I find this disappointing that we are not able to update it ourselves either via cd/dvd or sd card. I am assuming this is the same for the newer models too.

My next battle is to program the garage opener. Another headache about to start. And there I was thinking technology makes things easier.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thankyou both for the help.

Audi is sending me a free T-Mobile sim. I will make a decision after it arrives. Audi also advised me that the maps can only be updated at a dealer,
I find this disappointing that we are not able to update it ourselves either via cd/dvd or sd card. I am assuming this is the same for the newer models too.

My next battle is to program the garage opener. Another headache about to start. And there I was thinking technology makes things easier.
Awesome! If you sign the yearly, it equates to about $20/mo. That is what I did, as you can cancel at any time.
You actually can update your maps yourself, if you know what your doing. Meaning, they have to code something at the end of the proceedure. Some guys have written code (search this site for the thread) and some have offered updates. But I have never gotten follow through and then there is the trust thing!
I am with you, it is crap we cannot just do it easily.
According to Audi, who claimed my maps would update with connect service, and I assure you, it did not, but the newer vehicle do! I would like to update the entire MMI, NAV included. Some say not to touch MMI unless there is an issue and Audi says that also.

Check this: Ebay NAR NAV
I have reached out to the seller to see if this is all I need or would need to visit the dealership.

The garage door should not be hard. I had a 99 A6 which was a breeze to connect. This should be a whiz, but like you say, Technology! Good Luck.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts

Pick up a Freedompop sim card and get 200mb for $.01, every month. Its enough to use daily for map Google maps, unless you're driving between states daily (obviously more data refreshing). I've been using it for a year already, flawlessly.

See this thread on how to set it up and all the other Audi users doing the same thing.
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...2883993/page9/
Old 11-20-2018, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Map update

You do NOT need to visit the dealer to upgrade your maps. I have done it several times, you need to be computer savy but it is pretty easy. You can contact John at vagnavinfo@gmail.com to purchase the map update and installation instructions...
Old 11-20-2018, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

Freedompop is forever dead to vehicles containing 3G cellular radios as they've switched their service to LTE only. see https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a7-...hange-2960798/
Try the US Mobile option. Not free but still under $5/month.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jbgilbank
Awesome! If you sign the yearly, it equates to about $20/mo. That is what I did, as you can cancel at any time.
You actually can update your maps yourself, if you know what your doing. Meaning, they have to code something at the end of the proceedure. Some guys have written code (search this site for the thread) and some have offered updates. But I have never gotten follow through and then there is the trust thing!
I am with you, it is crap we cannot just do it easily.
According to Audi, who claimed my maps would update with connect service, and I assure you, it did not, but the newer vehicle do! I would like to update the entire MMI, NAV included. Some say not to touch MMI unless there is an issue and Audi says that also.

Check this: Ebay NAR NAV
I have reached out to the seller to see if this is all I need or would need to visit the dealership.

The garage door should not be hard. I had a 99 A6 which was a breeze to connect. This should be a whiz, but like you say, Technology! Good Luck.
Please let me know what the Ebay seller responds with.

Thanks
Old 11-20-2018, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Please let me know what the Ebay seller responds with.

Thanks
So, here is his answer!=start[h1=left]New message from: vag-technik [/h1][h3=left][/h3]
Hi
All you will receive
You don't need Audi dealer visiting.
All you will do at home.

But
Please confirm your car details, year
And attach the actual picture of the MMI VERSION INFORMATION screen..

Quick Reply: Sim Card & Navigation