Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Sim Card & Navigation

Old 11-27-2018, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by jbgilbank
FREEDOMPOP:

We offer a variety of devices that will allow you to connect nationwide, to fast LTE and 3G networks.
Our phones are 4G LTE with the option of falling back to 3G (if there is no 4G signal in your area).

For hotspots, many of them are also 4G LTE with the option of 3G fallback, but only 4G service is included in our free plan.
We're talking about SIM cards.
Guys, buddies, pals... I'm telling you I'm using a FreedomPop chip and getting free data; I'm NOT hypothetically, articulating a service that may or may-not exist.

https://www.freedompop.com/coverage
De-select 4g, and zoom in to see your coverage area.

https://forums.freedompop.com/us/dis...-a-3g-sim-card
"@LightningProd - the 4G LTE SIMs will also provide 3G service,"
Old 11-27-2018, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thankyou all for the Sim Card information.

At this stage I am awaiting the US Mobile sim...…. I will see where that leads me. I will keep you posted once the sim arrives and I look at activating it.
I just checked if Freedompop works in our location..... neither 3g or 4g LTE is covered by them in our area. So that rules them out. I now hope that the US Mobile will work.

I am still thinking about the Navigation maps.... Expect to make a decision after the visit to the Audi Dealer tomorrow.

We need to work a few things out with Audi on other aspects of the car, which I believe should be part of the original buy of the car .

Last edited by Moi2; 11-27-2018 at 11:25 AM.
Old 11-27-2018, 12:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Two questions (probably stupid questions, I guess ... )
1. When connects to Internet (GoogleMap logo lights up,) does the Navigation uses GoogleMap to navigate or it still uses original map (the map inside MMI) to Navigate?
2. My FreedomPop SIM should be arriving someday next week. If it is not working, will Audi upgrade GSM Modem (or Firmware) for free? Mine is a 2nd hand 2013 Q7 but I never tried to get use a SIM card before.
thanks
Old 11-27-2018, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by TimothyC
1. When connects to Internet (GoogleMap logo lights up,) does the Navigation uses GoogleMap to navigate or it still uses original map (the map inside MMI) to Navigate?
2. My FreedomPop SIM should be arriving someday next week. If it is not working, will Audi upgrade GSM Modem (or Firmware) for free? Mine is a 2nd hand 2013 Q7 but I never tried to get use a SIM card before.
thanks
1. Takes the original map as a base and overlays Google's Satellite map interface.
2. Read this thread on how to get it to function: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...2883993/page9/
Old 11-27-2018, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by TimothyC
thanks
Audi, Free? Not for this!
They will not run a simple NAV update, which should have been included for the price of these cars!
Old 11-28-2018, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Still confused. I just need help understanding how to use navigation in any format. No SIM but do have Audi Connect which I'm trying for 6 months. Totally sucks and gives me very outdated gas prices.
Willing to pay big bucks for anyone who can walk me through how to use navigation. The MMI touch pad is just plain stupid and the "voice de-recognition" commands are worthless. I've been spoiled by using an easy touch screen method in my previous car. What was Audi thinking? And the one state only search is really frustrating.

Thanks.

Charlie
Old 11-28-2018, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

UPDATE: Well.......what a farst! 100MB flew out the window like a sneeze in the wind!
I asked for ONLINE DESTINATIONS 3 times, received no answers and that blew that data out!
Actually, just driving the car I lost 12MB in 3 days!
I see why they sell unlimited data now!

Old 11-28-2018, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Yes. Based on my usage in my S5 you’ll easily use 1 to 2 gb (1000-2000+mb) per month just getting directions and playing around with it. My sim runs off my AT&T shared data acct so it isn’t a big deal. Don’t leave Google Maps ( satellite view) on all the time though. THAT can use a bunch of data as you move around from one area to another. I’ve got that sim in our Q7 right now as we are traveling in Houston. It really is handy for looking up destinations when traveling in unfamiliar areas.

Last edited by J. Patterson; 11-28-2018 at 05:40 PM.
Old 11-29-2018, 03:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by J. Patterson
Yes. Based on my usage in my S5 you’ll easily use 1 to 2 gb (1000-2000+mb) per month just getting directions and playing around with it. My sim runs off my AT&T shared data acct so it isn’t a big deal. Don’t leave Google Maps ( satellite view) on all the time though. THAT can use a bunch of data as you move around from one area to another. I’ve got that sim in our Q7 right now as we are traveling in Houston. It really is handy for looking up destinations when traveling in unfamiliar areas.
My point, if I have to pay $20 for a month of data, I may as well use the original sim for unlimited data rather than 3GB with USMobile!
If it is short trips and deem it a luxury, I could get a Gig for $10 when I want it.
Old 11-29-2018, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Ouch that is pretty ugly price.

I haven't activated my US Mobile yet but am about to. I believe their site said a 3 month free trial. I will recheck that.

We had the Audi at the dealer yesterday.. New tires put on. And yes there was an oil leak. Apparently the dealer we bought the Audi from didn't put the
bottom plug on properly. When they did an oil change. Ne now have a new plug and new oil. The car is all good now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sim Card & Navigation