Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Sline - rotors/pads question

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sline - rotors/pads question

My wife's Q7 Sline Prestige when in for some warranty work today and we were told the front and rear brakes needed to be replaced, I want to do it myself as they quoted us $1700 parts/labor which seems really high to me.

I went to some common websites to research parts like Tirerack...but when searcing for the Sline trim, the only ones that come are the "big brake" kits that cost like $4k and not just pads or rotors...

Am I missing something about our brakes, aren't individual rotors and pads available from companies like Stoptech, Centric, Hawk, etc? Ive searched on the forum and see people using non-oem brands/parts...how do know what part numbers to buy if the searches on the store websites don't show any?
Old 03-11-2016, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Your Q7 likely has brembo brakes. Pads will run you around $300 for front and back and rotors about $300-400 for all 4 wheels. I believe that there are other brake threads floating around. You can get brembo or bosh pads easily enough and other manufacturers also. There are also a wide variety of rotors floating around. Zimmerman is often Audi OEM but I'm not sure if they are for the Q7.
Old 03-11-2016, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by lentiman
Your Q7 likely has brembo brakes. Pads will run you around $300 for front and back and rotors about $300-400 for all 4 wheels. I believe that there are other brake threads floating around. You can get brembo or bosh pads easily enough and other manufacturers also. There are also a wide variety of rotors floating around. Zimmerman is often Audi OEM but I'm not sure if they are for the Q7.
Thanks Lentiman - any suggestions where would I find the Brembo parts other than the dealer?
Old 03-11-2016, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Default 1700 for brakes is way too high unless...

the rotors are damaged. I always have my dealer check my pads at every service and recently had the front pads replaced as they were down, not enough th activate the sensors but down. If you catch these things before they are needed it a lot cheaper! at my 80k service I am going to have the rears done as they said they were "getting there"!
Yes I have Brembo 6 piston calipers.
Old 03-11-2016, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by flynavy
the rotors are damaged. I always have my dealer check my pads at every service and recently had the front pads replaced as they were down, not enough th activate the sensors but down. If you catch these things before they are needed it a lot cheaper! at my 80k service I am going to have the rears done as they said they were "getting there"!
Yes I have Brembo 6 piston calipers.
Good point on the rotors. Once the finish with the other items we had it in for, I will check the rotors to see how much of a lip they have, maybe we don't need to replace the rotors, especially on the rear. I changed the brakes on my 2007 Touareg, I don't think the 2013 Q7 will be that different. I still have my triple square socket even but if not changing the rotors won't even need it.
Old 03-11-2016, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

What size in mm of rotors does an Sline take? I've found some options for rotors and it looks like the info days the fronts 350mm but for the FedEx there seems to be conflicting information...some sites day 330 mm rears and some say 358mm rears....
Old 03-12-2016, 04:10 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Here:
https://www.drt-sport.com/catalog/4760

Call up and ask for Woody. They have the best pricing on Zimmerman rotors around and you get cryo-treated as well if you want to spend the extra bucks. you can do front and rear rotors and pads with sensors for less than what it would cost to do front alone at dealer.
Old 03-12-2016, 04:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks Iconoclast. I think what I am confused on is if all Q7s come with the same brakes or if the "Brembo" brakes are different or something like that .I don't want to order rotors and pads and find that they don't fit my calipers or something.
Old 03-12-2016, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

if you are in the US then all the brakes are the same for front and all the rears are the same. in ROW/EU there are different brake sizes.
Old 03-12-2016, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Got it, thanks!!!

Quick Reply: Sline - rotors/pads question