Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Smell of gas

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 06:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smell of gas

My Q has developed a gas odor after turning off the motor. It is only apparent in the garage or in an enclosed area. It cannot be smelled outside. It does dissipate after about an hour. There is no fuel leakage or warning lights and the dealer, of course, can't duplicate. Does anyone have an answer?
Old 01-24-2009, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Smell of gas

Yep, had the same problem. They had my car for several days and couldn't duplicate it. I think the problem is that their garage/workshop area is too wide open. I bet you its happening to more people but its just not being noticed. If you don't happen to go back into your garage after the car has sat for a couple of minutes, but within an hour or so, you would never notice.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:51 AM

Default Re: Smell of gas

Exactly. Have you had any problems with the car as a result of this? I'm a little worried as I'm about ready to take a rather extensive trip in the Q. My garage is not heated and it all started when we had some really cold weather. I don't know if there is a connection or not. What really gets me is that the general manager took the car home and said he couldn't smell anything. Go figure.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default There was a post on the A6 forum that is similar....

<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/c6a6/msgs/54487.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/c6a6/msgs/54487.phtml</a></li></ul>
Old 01-24-2009, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default No problems at all...

I think it is not just related to the cold. I first smelled this a few months ago, but didn't connect it to the Q7. After all, you can only smell it during that narrow band of time after you park it. Car has run fine and we haven't had any problems, so I think you are good. My dealer said they checked the fuel lines and there was no leak. The smell seems to be the strongest in the driver's side rear wheel well.
The following users liked this post:
Nickdc955i (07-29-2019)
Old 01-25-2009, 01:25 PM

Default Re: No problems at all...

Good. Glad to hear there have been no problems. It sure is weird.
Yesterday, the odor went away, but today it's back. Same outside temp both days so I'll have to agree that it's probably not temp related. I can't determine where it's coming from as the whole garage smells. Hard to believe no one else has ever posted with this problem.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Q7 GAS SMELL

We are experiencing the same smell in our 2008 Q7 4.2 and have been for sometime, but we have our mower in our garage too, so I always blamed it on the mower. I pinpointed it tonight. It's it VERY strong on the rear driver's side wheel well. I notice it mostly right after pulling into my carport. But sometimes even smell gas hours after turning car off. This could be very dangerous!!! The smell is so strong, One spark could probably ignite the fumes.
Old 06-18-2014, 12:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamesmccready
We are experiencing the same smell in our 2008 Q7 4.2 and have been for sometime, but we have our mower in our garage too, so I always blamed it on the mower. I pinpointed it tonight. It's it VERY strong on the rear driver's side wheel well. I notice it mostly right after pulling into my carport. But sometimes even smell gas hours after turning car off. This could be very dangerous!!! The smell is so strong, One spark could probably ignite the fumes.
Check the underside of fuel tank from under rear of car to see if you can see some fuel running lines. We had similar problem for about 2 weeks last year. It will drip when fuel tank full. The flange of fuel pump cracked cause fuel leaking. You can remove the carpet behind 2nd row seats to change it if you are handyman. Hope this helps.
Old 04-13-2015, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Other Suggestions

Hey All! New (used 07) Q7 owner and I'm noticing the same smell. I want to narrow down the issue before taking to dealership. Only 1 in my area and they were SUPER rude when I went in for an inspection.

TIA
Old 04-13-2015, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

It's probably the gas cap rubber seal. Mine was cracked and was allowing black mold like stains to grow all around the gas filler area and backside of the fuel filler door. No doubt due to gasoline fumes slowly leaking out!

Quick Reply: Smell of gas