Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Stationary Heater and HVAC

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Stationary Heater and HVAC

So research tells me that the aux heater is a gas driven heater separate from the vehicle motor that one could turn on to warm the cabin of the Q? Only available in ROW.

My question is, can I set up the HVAC (ventilation) to come on and cool the cabin of my Q? Or is this option only available in ROW? Or is it all tied together somehow?

I have played a little with VCDS and will try another approach tomorrow, to see if I can get it working.

Thanks for any ideas in advance!
Old 03-18-2018, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 566 Likes on 448 Posts

If you want to cool the cabin of your Q then recode it with VCDS so you can roll the windows down with the Fob.. You wont get cooling unless the AC compressor is running, that requires engine to be on.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by dreadlocks
If you want to cool the cabin of your Q then recode it with VCDS so you can roll the windows down with the Fob.. You wont get cooling unless the AC compressor is running, that requires engine to be on.
Yeah, I have done all that, even both sun roofs open and close. I thought there was a way to run the ventilation, but probably not, as they deleted a lot of things from the Q7 that the others get.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 566 Likes on 448 Posts

There is a special extra remote used for the Aux heater system to activate HVAC remotely, without it the best you could do is turn it on in MMI when your inside the vehicle.. then whats the point? If you set a timer to run vent while you went shopping, it'd just vent out the cold air in the car quicker and replace it with hot parking lot temperature air.. might as well just leave the windows cracked.. Some people do enable the timer and use it in winter because there is enough residual heat in the engine to keep it warm for a short while, but in the summer it'd be near worthless.

looks like this:

Last edited by dreadlocks; 03-18-2018 at 11:33 AM.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

We had a Touareg with a solar sunroof that would power the HVAc blower on low speed when the car was parked. It would only operate at above about a preset temperature but it did keep the main dash area from getting too hot. The effect was that the car would cool much quicker once the engine was running than without it.

I dare say you could get the solar panel from another car and install it under your sunroof and then add the necessary wiring to make it all work.

VWVortex.com - How to adjust the glass sunroof panel to achieve a flush fit with the roof
Old 03-19-2018, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Edd W
We had a Touareg with a solar sunroof that would power the HVAc blower on low speed when the car was parked. It would only operate at above about a preset temperature but it did keep the main dash area from getting too hot. The effect was that the car would cool much quicker once the engine was running than without it.

I dare say you could get the solar panel from another car and install it under your sunroof and then add the necessary wiring to make it all work.

VWVortex.com - How to adjust the glass sunroof panel to achieve a flush fit with the roof
Funny Stuff! I guess I know very little even after all the research I have done.
I was under the impression that the warm weather package had these installed in the Q. I guess not. But it would be awesome to have!