AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q7 MK 1 Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mk-1-discussion-112/)
-   -   Swapping head/tail lights from 2010 Q7 with 2007 Q7 (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mk-1-discussion-112/swapping-head-tail-lights-2010-q7-2007-q7-2761485/)

mojohio 08-29-2009 05:48 AM

Swapping head/tail lights from 2010 Q7 with 2007 Q7

I've seen some posts inquiring about having the LED lights installed in previous Q7 models. The only way I've seen this acheived is by purchasing some LED strips and securing them on to the the lower side front ducts. Does anyone know if the entire headlight and/or taillight units would exactly fit in older models, or if that retrofit is impossible to achieve? Thanks in advance.

joseaudi 09-01-2009 01:11 PM

same sized and shape so it will fit into the holes, but the wiring might not work smoothly. Who knows?

Railflyer 09-01-2009 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by joseaudi (Post 23846253)
same sized and shape so it will fit into the holes, but the wiring might not work smoothly. Who knows?

Well, who's going first?

mojohio 09-01-2009 02:02 PM

I wasn't quite sure if they were the same size & shape, but I thought they could be. The wiring would definitely be the tell-tale measure. I too would like to see someone post they have made a successful conversion replacing the 2007 Q7 front and/or rear lights with the 2010 LED lights. That would be good news, and I would be ordering me a set of front & back if they both fit immediately.

K2audi 09-01-2009 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Railflyer (Post 23846289)
Well, who's going first?

I am going to look into it tomorrow with the parts dept. at the dealer as I also want to do this update. I am a little concerned with the proper voltage being run to the newer LED lights to get them to work.

I am also going to look into updating some of the switchgear inside the cabin as well. It will depend on cost, but maybe the new mirror and headlight switch with the chrome accent and also the 12V covers look like they have the chrome bezel look like our MMI knob.

berns_man 09-04-2009 09:42 AM

New lights

So, has anyone confirmed if the conversion to the new lights could be done. I am not in the USA and my dealer does not have a clue.

TonyRome777 09-12-2009 05:21 PM

Very interested in upgrading my 07 Q7 lights to the LED version....unfortunately I havent been able to confirm if its possible....has anyone tried it yet???

Thanks, Tony

bozack 09-13-2009 08:09 AM

not sure if I want to do the headlights and tail lights as I am sure those will cost a fortune but the front turn signal LED's would be nice

TonyRome777 09-14-2009 03:42 AM

Thanks Bozack! Have you heard of anyone coming up with an upgrade kit? I really would like to do the eyeliner strip as well as the turn signal. Thanks!

bozack 09-14-2009 12:43 PM

Haven't heard anything yet on Audi's unless someone else could comment.

I imagine any of the retro fits would have to include some compensation on power draw in relation to the on board computer. (OBC)

Not sure about Audi's since I just got my Q, but with the BMW's and Merc's whenever people first started upgrading to Xenon/HID lights, angel eyes etc they would throw codes to the computers since their new lighting options drew less current than the OEM gear. The computers kept thinking a light was out and would throw a fault because of the lesser draw. Can only imagine the Audi's would have the same issue unless Audi does their software differently.

Otherwise it would be up to an aftermarket vendor to design some capacitors etc in the wiring. It's possible since those issues around BMW's and Merc's have been solved now in the aftermarket.