Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Swapping head/tail lights from 2010 Q7 with 2007 Q7

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 03:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to drag a old thread from the dead, but i have a 2007 Q7 and wanted to fit LED facelift tail lights.

I had them fitted with an adapter all OK. But recently it started malfunctioning. So i guessed the adapter was faulty. I have the correct LED comfort module on its way to me, but does anyone know for sure this is the ONLY PART needed to finish this job?. No other wiring/control module modifications necessary?.

Also would i be right in saying, before i fit the new module i should copy the coding from the old module? then fit the new module and copy the coding into it?. Or would it need to be coded from scratch?.

Finally, i heard when fitting a used module that you need to remove component protection. I have VCDS (i dont think that removes it) and ODIS (no idea how to use this but i heard you can remove it with this). LONG shot but can anyone tell me how?.

Last edited by j4g3d; 02-01-2017 at 03:17 AM.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes swapping a new module to your Q7 will need a component protection removal (at Audi) unless you know a guy who can. You don't need to transfer the coding from the old to the new, the new coding is available on the web.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by B490MTL
Yes swapping a new module to your Q7 will need a component protection removal (at Audi) unless you know a guy who can. You don't need to transfer the coding from the old to the new, the new coding is available on the web.
Thanks for that. Audi refused to help me unfortunately. They said ''Removing component protection can unlock a can of worms". Strange i thought.

With regards to the coding, couldn't i just copy the coding from the old module though? and paste it into the new one using VCDS? (i have). Like this:

https://i.imgur.com/q5VP1yL.jpg

It'll make my life easier if you really can do it that way. If not, what do you mean by getting the coding off the web?.

Thanks
Old 02-06-2017, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just to let everyone know. Hope it can be some help for members on here.

But installing a comfort module [46] from a facelift Q7 to a prefacelift Q7 is pretty straight forward. Once you fit it the lights and everything work just fine. The only thing that doesn't work, for me anyway, is the electronic tailgate and the interior lights. Apparently this is a common feature of component protection which stops the module operating fully.

What i did before swapping modules is, i noted down the old coding string using VCDS. Then once the new module is fitted i just pasted the coding string into the new module.

So all is left now is to get CP removed. Audi dealers are trying to charge me 60 GBP + VAT. Other members have been known to get the job done for 20 or 30 GBP from audi.

Indies seem to range from 70 GBP to 150 GBP and they keep telling me the keys need to be synced. THEY DO NOT ON A Q7!!!.

I have ODIS and VAS 5054A cable. So im hoping i can find someone to remote in my pc and help me out as it needs a connection online to the audi database to remove CP.

Oh and finally, if you do buy the module, make sure its not from a stolen vehicle!. Buy it from a reputable seller, otherwise connecting to audi database with it when its come from a stolen vehicle will alert interpole, and THEY WILL come for you.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by j4g3d

But installing a comfort module [46] from a facelift Q7 to a prefacelift Q7 is pretty straight forward. Once you fit it the lights and everything work just fine. The only thing that doesn't work, for me anyway, is the electronic tailgate and the interior lights. Apparently this is a common feature of component protection which stops the module operating fully.

What i did before swapping modules is, i noted down the old coding string using VCDS. Then once the new module is fitted i just pasted the coding string into the new module.

So all is left now is to get CP removed. Audi dealers are trying to charge me 60 GBP + VAT. Other members have been known to get the job done for 20 or 30 GBP from audi.

Indies seem to range from 70 GBP to 150 GBP and they keep telling me the keys need to be synced. THEY DO NOT ON A Q7!!!.

I have ODIS and VAS 5054A cable. So im hoping i can find someone to remote in my pc and help me out as it needs a connection online to the audi database to remove CP.

Oh and finally, if you do buy the module, make sure its not from a stolen vehicle!. Buy it from a reputable seller, otherwise connecting to audi database with it when its come from a stolen vehicle will alert interpole, and THEY WILL come for you.
Now that you have changed to the facelift, do your rear LEDs flicker every 30 seconds due to cold diagnostics testing (bulb out detection)? When I installed leds and resistors in my prefacelift tails they did that.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by D3Audi
Now that you have changed to the facelift, do your rear LEDs flicker every 30 seconds due to cold diagnostics testing (bulb out detection)? When I installed leds and resistors in my prefacelift tails they did that.
They did that when i was using the LED DRIVER adapters.

Now that i have the original comfort module the flickering doesn't exist anymore.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Ok, interesting. I found this kit on eBay that I am considering buying : https://www.ebay.com/itm/400882734444

But it appears to have an adapter so it will flicker?

So all you had to do was buy the taillights, and the new comfort module? This is all so confusing to me. Lol
Old 02-10-2017, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by D3Audi
Ok, interesting. I found this kit on eBay that I am considering buying : https://www.ebay.com/itm/400882734444

But it appears to have an adapter so it will flicker?

So all you had to do was buy the taillights, and the new comfort module? This is all so confusing to me. Lol
You have 2 options to get the lights to work...

#1 Buy the LED driver adapter, which is plug and play. But in most cases you get a very quick flicker which is hard to notice.

or

#2 Buy the correct facelift comfort module. Once you fit it in, the lights should work fully. But it will have component protection built in it (if its a used module). This is to prevent the circulation of stolen parts. Anyway, to remove this you need someone with ODIS 5054A and a ONLINE account to spend 10 mins in removing the CP.

The comfort module part numbers that will work with prefacelift Q7 are:
4L0 907 289H
or
4L0 910 289H

Where are you based?.
Old 02-11-2017, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You have 2 options to get the lights to work...

#1 Buy the LED driver adapter, which is plug and play. But in most cases you get a very quick flicker which is hard to notice.

or

#2 Buy the correct facelift comfort module. Once you fit it in, the lights should work fully. But it will have component protection built in it (if its a used module). This is to prevent the circulation of stolen parts. Anyway, to remove this you need someone with ODIS 5054A and a ONLINE account to spend 10 mins in removing the CP.

The comfort module part numbers that will work with prefacelift Q7 are:
4L0 907 289H
or
4L0 910 289H

Where are you based?.
I'm located in the US with a US spec Q7. It's probably hard to find someone with an "ODIS 5054A"? I don't even know what that is lol
Old 02-20-2017, 09:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Sorry if I'm obnoxious, but I have a few questions. The LED Driver adapter seems junk because the lights will still flicker. It seems swapping the control unit is the only way to do this correctly

1.) So if I understand correctly, for the meantime all is working correctly (tail lights) even though component protection is still there?

2.) I don't have VCDS so this is probably a mod I can't do? All I thought you had to do was swap control units, and get Component protection removed from the Audi dealer?

Quick Reply: Swapping head/tail lights from 2010 Q7 with 2007 Q7