Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

08 Audi Q7 Spare Tire Leaking at Rim

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 04:02 AM
08' Audi Q7 4.2 FSI Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 08 Audi Q7 Spare Tire Leaking at Rim

Here’s another fun one...

Today I decided to clean out my spare tire storage area. Fully removed all the tools, foam blocks, sub, tire, etc etc, and wiped it all out with a little soapy water. Just wanted to check the area for signs of moisture leaking into that area and it was pretty dirty down in there so since it was a nice sunny day I decided to give it a clean.

Having never used my collapsible spare tire before I decided to fill it up just to make sure it was good, and I’d planned on putting a little conditioner on the tire just to keep the rubber in good shape. However to my avail, the tire would not inflate. I hooked up my air compressor to the valve and air just sprayed out between the inside tire wall and the rim. It almost looks like in a few spots that the tire bead is not straight around the rim so it’s just leaking air past where it’s not seated properly.
I bought this vehicle used, so I have no idea when this spare had been used previously but I can say for certain that it was at one point. There are some noticeable scratches on the spare tire rim and the inside of the rim had a fine coating of brake dust on it. Looks like someone used it, deflated it, and put it back in the vehicle. My question here is: Has anyone ever had the spare tire itself come unseated from the rim and if so is that something a standard tire shop can fix? I know these are kind of odd tires being that they are collapsible and not constantly inflated like typical spare tires. It looks like the point where the tire bead meets the rim is actually inset quite a bit more than the way a standard tire would be mounted. Having never come across one of these tires before I’m just not sure how easily they can be remounted to the rim? I’d like to have the use of my spare tire just in case I do have a roadside flat and right now it’s entirely useless.

Just looking for feedback on this one. Thanks.