Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

TDI EPA Fix Completed

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Donald Goldman
Audi Plano told me “we are not allowed to resell the Q7 TDI even after they are fixed. Because of this we can only offer a really bad trade in. Your much better off to sell it to someone else.” Bottom line if your looking to trade your TDI don’t look to your Audi dealer.
I expect that is an Audi Plano management decision. ( AUDI dealers ARE selling the fixed ones they already have) Perhaps not a bad one on their part financially if the demand is very low for these vehicles. On the other hand it is a decision that could drive loyal AUDI buyers away to another brand.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So sounds like we need to figure out if it is an Audi directive or simply a decision by that dealer. Part of me thinks it may be more than just that one dealer based on my experiences with two Toyota dealers.........

Prior to having my fix done I stopped to check out Tundras and mentioned trading in my Q7 after the fix; the day I was having my fix done I stopped at a different Toyota dealer and drove a Tundra. What is interesting here is that both salespeople have my contact info and both knew I was going to trade the Q7 but neither has followed up with me. Car salespeople are aggressive, why did these two not follow up? Makes me wonder if their dealerships don't want to touch a Q7..... I am in the Spokane/Coeur D Alene area so only one Audi dealer in the area so if they will not give a buy bid on the trade then it will be difficult to trade in my Q7.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AMGM5S8
About 100 miles in 2 days. Really could not notice any difference. Power seems the same.

I'm surprised because I thought I'd write back with noticeable differences.

I did find a burning smell from exhaust.
Originally Posted by DoubleBayou
I have a few miles and just under a week on mine now so here is another update.
I LOVE IT
1. It absolutely warms up to temp faster
2. RPM's are higher on the lower gears but the same when at 6,7,8
3. Transition of gears is like butter going up, sometimes going down (reducing speed) its a little 'odd'; example say coasting to a stoplight and it then turns green so you start to accelerate. Trans is already in a much lower gear than you would have expected so when you accel. that of course makes RPM's shoot up to 3500 because it's in 2nd and you expected 4th
4. I never noticed before now that is seems to have a 'lock up torque converter' it holds RPM's even when coasting in lower gears. Maybe Dreadlocks can explain this better???
5. Fuel mileage seems even better to me!!! Certainly doesn't appear to have lost any MPG's
6. I simply think it is 'smoother' 'quicker' 'fresher' like its almost brand new. transition up to speeds is just smoother

Took about 3 days to burn off the smell of new exhaust system components
So my assessment is so far so good!
Originally Posted by EvergreenQ7
Had the work done on my 2015 Q7 yesterday and so far I notice little change in driving. Drive home last night was normal and so was this morning when I drove it, only thing I noticed was a slightly higher RPM when first starting out this morning. Part of me was hoping the drive would stink then it would be an easy decision to unload the car and buy a Tundra (need a good tow vehicleand my S7 just doesn't cut it), now I am leaning toward keeping it.
Originally Posted by yosie16
my fix came out fine... if I wasn't told, I probably wouldn't recognize the difference really... should I have gotten the second half of my Bosch payment by now?
Originally Posted by JHagerty
Got the fix done almost 2 weeks ago now and haven't noticed anything different really. Slightly higher shift points when I first got it back but now that I've driven it, those have gone away. Mileage seems the same. Took a 6 hour road trip last week and got the same mpg I always get on that round trip. I would say the miles to empty was over-compensating if anything, showing 590 miles to empty after I'd already put 95 miles down.
Originally Posted by Donald Goldman
Well finally one of my 2 TDIS is “fixed” and gone. First the Q7 is not the same. Different driving characteristics. The software modification seems to have changed the shifting sequence particularly when coming to a stop. Probably trying to manage rpms to manage emissions.
Next since I’ve had it with Audi I sold the Q7. Interesting fact emerged. Audi will not allow its dealers to sell TDIS even after they have received the fix. Talk about running away. Doesn’t give you much faith in fix or long term value. Bottom line Audi just wants to get away from this so badly they have accepted that loyal customers are expendable.
Looks like there are a wide range of experiences in terms of the feel of the car after the "fix". Please keep the comments coming as I'm still somewhat hesitant to have this done now. Will probably wait until January.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by EvergreenQ7
So sounds like we need to figure out if it is an Audi directive or simply a decision by that dealer. Part of me thinks it may be more than just that one dealer based on my experiences with two Toyota dealers.........
I have two different local Audi dealers and the original dealer that sold me the car inquire over the past 3 weeks whether they could trade in my TDI for a new Q7. I have no interest in the new Q7 so I did not follow up.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 566 Likes on 448 Posts

Recoding the transmission to match that of a Cayenne might help, anyone have a VAG-COM/VCDS and the fix wanna give this a go? Cayenne Transmission Map in T3 Touareg V6TDI - Page 2 - Club Touareg Forums
Old 12-15-2017, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by OldS4Fart
I have two different local Audi dealers and the original dealer that sold me the car inquire over the past 3 weeks whether they could trade in my TDI for a new Q7. I have no interest in the new Q7 so I did not follow up.
ditto for me as OldS4Fart in that dealers were glad to take them in trade. I too, have no interest in the new Q7, but I did trade two for an A8L. All the dealers I have talked to are taking them in on trade and selling whatever they can, both with miles and stop sell cars. One ingenious dealer I spoke to had quite a few miles on their stop sell Q7's. When I asked how that happened, he said their manager decided back when the sale hold was put into place to use them as courtesy and loaner vehicles, as well as staff cars. Pretty smart I have to say as Audi did not prohibit that. So in addition to exercising the cars regularly, they suffered less depreciation and wear and tear on their other loaner cars. To add icing on the cake, they were asking the same for these with miles on them as the other dealers were with the zero miles stop sell cars they were trying to sell. I didn't check back to see if, or how many they sold, but I was pretty impressed with the general manager to mitigate the loss on the cars by not just letting them sit around. I mean that is true ingenuity, I think.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:55 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 283 Likes on 203 Posts

I just checked my dealer new inventory and noticed 2015 Q7 TDI are listed!
Old 12-15-2017, 10:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts

I just saw that yesterday and today I was poking VCDS and found we have that setting. Only thing is, I'm not sure if I'm ballsy enough to try it? Maybe next week I'll give it a go. I'll be road tripping to Orlando from up here in Destin, FL, so that'll give me some time to see how it goes while driving around for hundreds of miles.
Old 12-27-2017, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Post modification 'issue'...
31 degrees out today, about a 4 mile drive up the road and after shutting off the engine and locking up my fan is still on!
5 minutes in store and fan is off. about 4 miles farther to another store and no fan.
Return trip about 8 miles and fan stayed on again!!

This has never happened before in 2+ years at any outdoor temperature

Anyone else observed this??
Old 12-27-2017, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by DoubleBayou
Post modification 'issue'...
31 degrees out today, about a 4 mile drive up the road and after shutting off the engine and locking up my fan is still on!
5 minutes in store and fan is off. about 4 miles farther to another store and no fan.
Return trip about 8 miles and fan stayed on again!!

This has never happened before in 2+ years at any outdoor temperature

Anyone else observed this??
I'll bet it's the burnout for the DPF. I get it sometimes when I've been doing a lot of slow low rpm driving; and I have not had the "fix" done to mine.

Quick Reply: TDI EPA Fix Completed