Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

TDI EPA Fix Completed

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

After 300 HWY miles, I am convinced that I am down about 2 mpg in consumption.
Old 02-12-2018, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fix applied, now smoking profusely

I had the emissions fix applied on Thursday of last week, picking up my 2014 A6 TDI on Friday afternoon. 48 hours later, my family noticed a pronounced petroleum smell. The next day--today--I noticed a trail of smoke in my rear view mirror. Then I noticed smoke entering the cabin from the heating and a/c vents. When I stopped, smoke was visible coming out from under the hood. I popped the hood, and there is obviously fuel leakage occurring, but no fire and nothing significant dripping yet.

By day's end, the glow plug error light was flashing and the car was in its limp mode.

Back to the dealership tomorrow. Even if this was a simple error in tightening something in a fuel path, I cannot imagine that the mess of dripping, burning, leaking fuel will be quickly cleaned. And I'm not sure how I will get the cabin to stop smelling like a petroleum fire.

My wife demanded I change clothes as soon as I walked in the door.

And I'm not loving the idea of my newly "fixed" clean diesel pumping carcinogen-laden air into the cabin as I drive.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts
Default 2011 TDI vs 2015 fixed TDI Back to back comparisons

We still have our 2011 while we work through some document issues with the claims settlement reviewers ( another story). So I get a chance to drive both and compare, I have only logged 100 miles or so in the 2015 so far but here are a few things I notice.
A bit noisier- yes at low speeds and idle but no big deal.
power —————————is fine. No noticeable loss.
fuel mileage, —————— hard to tell. I’ll need more time. When we drove them both home from the dealership where we bought the 2015, their mileage was very similar over about 100 miles.
drivability. ————————It shifts differently and throttle response is different. The best explanation I can give is that it seems to wait to apply more fuel until rpms come up . Like driving a manual and starting in low gear with very light throttle then pressing the throttle further once rpm gets to 2500 rpm or so. It feels kind of weird and it sometimes hunts or fluctuates a bit when in low gear pulling away gently. It’s like the ECU won’t give you full throttle if rpms are below a certain point. Once it’s warmed up this is far less noticeable.

None of this is hugely objectionable. I still prefer it to a gasoline engine but, It’s not as sweet as our 2011. I’ll be glad when that one is gone so I forget

Last edited by J. Patterson; 02-16-2018 at 06:17 AM.
Old 02-16-2018, 03:18 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I bought my 15 about 3 weeks ago and it already had the fix completed. I have noticed the higher rev prior to shifting when cold and was concerned it was something wrong. It is still under the 50/4yr warranty so I was not too concerned. However the comments in here that validate this is the same on theirs makes me much happier. For the record, I paid 45,900 for my ‘15 S-Line Prestige with only 23k on it. Has anyone tuned theirs since the emissions have been updated? Did you get any better fuel economy out of it?
Old 02-16-2018, 09:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

We had ours fixed about 3 months ago. One of the first our dealer did the update to.

They mentioned they needed the car all day because the work involved replacing much of the exhaust system, and the components take 4-6 hours to cool down (they mentioned they put a small fan on them it to cool quicker).

My experience is similar to most; before it's fully warmed up the shift points are higher-- 3rd holds to 2500 RPM and 4th to 2100 RPM. I usually tip-tronic it up 'cause it irritates me a little. Cold driving mileage dropped somewhat too; i could usually get 22-25 MPG on short 5 mile trips, but now i only see 20-22.

Longer distance trips, it seems the mileage actually increased a little. I saw just under 30 MPG crossing a mountain pass where I normally see 28-29.

No perceived loss in power. I often tow 5000+ lbs loads (our RV and occasional cargo trailer full of firewood) and it yanks them just as compliantly as before, even when crossing said mountain passes. Something to be said about passing cars handily with a full load in tow on a 6% grade....my old Tundra could never dream of it.

Anyway, I'm satisfied with the emissions update. I may get a Malone later on when the lease is up, but the 120K mile warranty for most of the drive train (except transmission) and free refills of Ad-blue makes the purchase decision easier. I'm not worried about the transmission anyway; It's a Japanese built Toyota/Aisin unit (possibly the same 8-speed that is now used in the 2017+ Land Cruisers) which are known for long-term durability.
Old 02-21-2018, 05:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just got our 2014 back yesterday from Audi of Denver. This is my wife’s car, but I drive it often enough to have a decent feel of how behaves. Honestly, on city streets, I didn’t notice much difference that couldn’t be attributable to the computers being reset and having to relearn our driving style. Will have to report back on consumption after a decent trip. Overall, very pleased given the 10k I got back for having this done. I’m ok with a slight drop in mpg if it means cleaner air.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

After a few hundred miles ours Is much more like our 2011 that we still have that has not been fixed. I also think some of the part throttle oddities that I noticed at first were simply due to the ECU having been reset and needing time to adapt. We’re very happy with the way the 2015 performs and drives now.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have waited until the fix get approved to finished the registering process. I have received the compensation payment from VWoA about 3 days after I get the car modified. So far I have no knowledge when and how the Bosch compensation payment will be received.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 566 Likes on 448 Posts

When: Whenever they decide to send it to you (1-6mo)
How: USPS Mail w/a time sensitive Check

Your already registered, just keep an eye out for that check.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Wow, that is a long wait.
Thanks,

Quick Reply: TDI EPA Fix Completed