Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Q7 Bull bar / Nudge Bar

Old 02-13-2021, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q7 Bull bar / Nudge Bar

Here in Australia it is common to fit a Bull bar to suv's for country driving and spot lights, does anyone have experience with Q7 prior to 2015. i have checked with Aussie makers no demand as most are sold in the city.
Old 02-13-2021, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

I have never seen one on any Audi, And that includes the Q7. You might need to get it custom made or custom fitted. I see them on police cars here. I'd say 60% of the police cars have them. They are great for mounting their sirens and lights. https://www.google.ca/search?q=bull+...zdzCEwNEwCbNrM
Old 02-13-2021, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Edzzed
I have never seen one on any Audi, And that includes the Q7. You might need to get it custom made or custom fitted. I see them on police cars here. I'd say 60% of the police cars have them. They are great for mounting their sirens and lights. https://www.google.ca/search?q=bull+...zdzCEwNEwCbNrM
Thanks talked to one custom maker $4000 not particularity to repeat the process.
Old 02-13-2021, 10:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 699 Likes on 580 Posts

I'm also looking for a solid bull bar, but couldn't find anything locally, or shopping the 'traditional' channels. I have seen two Q7s that had the full frontal coverage 'brush guard/grille guard' style that wraps around the headlights made out of tubular stock, but no idea where they sourced from. They looked really well integrated and very well protected. Normally, in the city I would not consider having this accessory, but I'm often out in remote areas now where large wildlife are known to impale themselves on passing cars. These roads are also mostly without lighting, so the ability to mount an LED light bar or a few high power driving spotlights really interests me.
The following users liked this post:
White Lightning (02-14-2021)
Old 02-14-2021, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 565 Likes on 447 Posts

these are one of those things that only get made if you've got the ability to make it yourself.. once you have to pay someone else fo the labor involved in a one-off bespoke design it no longer makes any financial sense.

Q7 front bumper support is mostly aluminum for weight or something, to start off you'd probably want the support bar from a Touareg that's solid steel and then work out from there welding onto that structure.. or use Eurowise's Winch mount as a starting point since its built like a brick **** house.

Most of the time bull bars are worthless at best and at worst will totally screw with crumple/crash ratings.. but down under as a Roo bar they are a bit more justified since those dumb fat things make our deer look smart and being able to limp home after an impact is a bit more life and death in many palces.

Last edited by dreadlocks; 02-14-2021 at 12:57 PM.
White Lightning (02-21-2021)
Old 02-14-2021, 09:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 699 Likes on 580 Posts
Default Bully Bar 4U

Originally Posted by dreadlocks
these are one of those things that only get made if you've got the ability to make it yourself.. once you have to pay someone else fo the labor involved in a one-off bespoke design it no longer makes any financial sense.

Q7 front bumper support is mostly aluminum for weight or something, to start off you'd probably want the support bar from a Touareg that's solid steel and then work out from there welding onto that structure.. or use Eurowise's Winch mount as a starting point since its built like a brick **** house.

Most of the time bull bars are worthless at best and at worst will totally screw with crumple/crash ratings.. but down under as a Roo bar they are a bit more justified since those dumb fat things make our deer look smart and being able to limp home after an impact is a bit more life and death in many palces.
So maybe you haven't seen how large mule deer, elk, and many other species are up close and personal like. The places I frequent even have wild horses running all asunder; you never know where they might pop up or decide to cross the roads on a whim in front of you. As for aluminum, it's stronger and much lighter than steel, so that's not necessarily a detriment as there really don't seem to be any non-beefy aluminum parts that I've seen on this car. Aluminum is a premium structural material used on high-end vehicles typically, and steel parts make up the rest of the lower cost lineup as they are cheaper to source.

If you just google search Q7 Bully bar you will find these are not so rare after all, and come in many different configurations, so as to please those who just want 'the look', as well as those who genuinely are looking for something a bit more industrial/protective/useful, even to the extent of the wraparound type of tubular construction. I'm sure there aren't very many out there that are actually worth paying for, but if you don't seek, well...you won't find. I'm not a welder, so I will seek until I find what I'm looking for to make my rig work best for me.

Enjoy the ride!
Old 02-15-2021, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 565 Likes on 447 Posts

I know how big those animals are, I hit a mule deer last year with my Q7.. Elk/Horses/Moose yeh might as well just kiss your *** goodbye because no bar on the front is gonna save **** when they fly over your hood and come through your windshield... Roos will go under a vehicle, smaller critters too.. larger ones go over a vehicle and into your lap when you sweep their legs out..

Again North America is not like the Aussie Outback, there are very few places in NA you can impact an animal and be unable to get roadside/police/tow trucks and all that to come to your aid.. in the outback having a disabled vehicle has a much greater chance of ending in your demise than North America so even as a big heavy expensive piece of insurance you hopefully never need it does pass basic logic tests.. We don't have any large animals in any considerable numbers out in the middle of New Mexico, Arizona, Utah and Nevada, ever hear of anyone hitting a Mule in Death Valley and dying from exposure eh? Thats the kinda crap Aussies gotta deal with, deadly terrain and dumb critters make for an interesting combo.

Aluminum is certainly strong and light but it has this problem where you cant weld steel to aluminum so you gonna have an aluminum bull bar made too? or weld a bunch of aluminum mounts strong enough to support steel? I can weld steel, a grinder makes me the welder I ain't, but having any aluminum in a custom fab project makes things suddenly much more expensive. Any bars that Ive ever seen are purely cosmetic and would not stop anything that was gonna do any damage in the first place, I suspect many will cause more damage.

Then if you have Adaptive Cruise, and parking sensors, and front cameras you may hate a Bull Bar when all that starts acting up or just outright becomes useless.

Last edited by dreadlocks; 02-15-2021 at 09:50 AM.
drjonez (02-15-2021)
Old 02-21-2021, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bull Bars etc

Originally Posted by Edzzed
https://www.misutonida.com/en/1061-audi-q7-2006-2015
Old 02-21-2021, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the tips, we don't own a vehicle with out one, a roo bar with some nifty driving generally avoids being stranded in the middle of the night.
7 one question for you thou is was there any changes to the 3.0 l diesel in the Q 7 after its introduction ,read somewhere that they replaced some wearing parts in later ones.
Old 02-21-2021, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by White Lightning
Thanks for the tips, we don't own a vehicle with out one, a roo bar with some nifty driving generally avoids being stranded in the middle of the night.
7 one question for you thou is was there any changes to the 3.0 l diesel in the Q 7 after its introduction ,read somewhere that they replaced some wearing parts in later ones.
2013 and up Q7’s have the second gen 3.0 TDI, more power better efficiency over the older version.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Q7 Bull bar / Nudge Bar