Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

which tires wear faster, front or rear?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which tires wear faster, front or rear?

Hi There,

I just bought a used 2014 Q7 TDI with 45,000 miles. It has Pirelli Zero Asymetrico tires and there is twice as much tread on the rear tires as on the front. I'd like to rotate them to balance that out but don't know if they've been rotated already. Which tires wear faster on yours?

thanks in advance,
Trent
Old 10-04-2018, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Fronts wear faster. I average 25k on a set of properly rotated tires.
Old 10-04-2018, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by chingwodapigu
Fronts wear faster. I average 25k on a set of properly rotated tires.
Do you just swap fronts with rears, or do the tires have to be changed by corner?
Old 10-04-2018, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Depends on your tire. If they're not directional tires (rotate in a specific direction), it is possible to cross rotate them, and if they have symmetrical tread, it is also possible to dismount and remount, since (in my experience) the outside front wears the fastest...even with proper alignment.

My tires are asymmetric and directional, so I just rotate front to back. I also have a set of winter wheels/tires, so the tire rotation is done when the tires are reinstalled.

Q7 really does eat tires, so unless you cruise on a LOT of long highway trips, don't expect them to last more than 25-30k miles. I only got 19k from my OEM tire set.
Old 10-04-2018, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the info!

I just cross rotated the tires and the outside edge of the front driver's side tire was the most worn as chingwodapigu said.
Old 10-04-2018, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Default I rotate every 10k

...and do the same for my tires! The wear factor is high on Q7's so I like to keep them pretty equal, also I run the conti DWS UHP tires and its easy to keep the traction levels more equal on all four corners.
Old 10-04-2018, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the tire recommendation as mine don't have too long left (maybe 4k miles).

Anyone with experience not the
SCORPION VERDE ALL SEASON PLUS?

I'd prefer longer wear over stickiest dry traction as we only use the Q7 to haul cargo, drive to the snow and occasionally tow a boat.

My daily driver is the exact opposite vehicle, an electric Fiat 500e with the Abarth suspension and sticky summer - a silly go-cart blast.
Old 10-04-2018, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 566 Likes on 448 Posts

This is my front drivers @ 25k miles, at Abe's eyes..

Truck tires last alot longer.. these are starting to get a bit loud on some road surfaces, but nothing my radio cant take care of.. I'll probably replace these within the next 10k just because I wanna go up a size once I get my roof rack and can carry a full size spare

Last edited by dreadlocks; 10-04-2018 at 07:25 PM.
Old 10-05-2018, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tpoltron
Thanks for the tire recommendation as mine don't have too long left (maybe 4k miles).

Anyone with experience not the
SCORPION VERDE ALL SEASON PLUS?

I'd prefer longer wear over stickiest dry traction as we only use the Q7 to haul cargo, drive to the snow and occasionally tow a boat.

My daily driver is the exact opposite vehicle, an electric Fiat 500e with the Abarth suspension and sticky summer - a silly go-cart blast.
I'm using the Verde Plus right now. Best tire I've had out of the 5 sets on my Q7 in the past 11 years. They definitely are wearing better than the Continentals and Yokohamas I've tried in the past. Kind of difficult for me to give exact mileage now, since I swap them in the winter with studded Nokians, but I'm definitely happy with the Verde Plus, which are a LOT better than the Pirelli Asymetricos.
Old 10-05-2018, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dreadlocks
This is my front drivers @ 25k miles, at Abe's eyes..

Truck tires last alot longer.. these are starting to get a bit loud on some road surfaces, but nothing my radio cant take care of.. I'll probably replace these within the next 10k just because I wanna go up a size once I get my roof rack and can carry a full size spare
Sorry OP for going a bit off topic here...

So you think you'll get 35k out of your set of KO2s? I'm installing a set on my wife's LX470. Any idea how much of a difference in mileage/noise compared to the BFG Rugged Terrains I'm replacing on her truck?

Quick Reply: which tires wear faster, front or rear?