Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Trailer wiring (again)

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer wiring (again)

Can someone please help me. I have read and searched ALL of the post and all it has done is confuse me even more. I just installed a hitch and need to know exactly what I need to buy to wire everythng up to pull my trailers. One is a 4 prong trailer and the other ia a7 prong. I will be using a brake controler for the 7 prong. This is what I have found in my "tow package equipt" Audi thus far. Last pic is from under the dash driver side. The others are on the right side (passenger side) of the rear

please. If anyone knows exactly what part numbers I need please post them. Also links to what I need would be great too. I would also like the brake controller to wireless if possible.
thanks for any advice. Sorry again. I know this topic has been covered a million times and I have tried to figure it out. Just dont want to buy anything that I don't need or that won't work. Dealer wanted $1000 just in parts and then said they would also charge for labor and programming the Q to be able to tow. Not looking to spend 1500+ on a vehicle that says it has a factory tow package.

Old 02-02-2018, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Anyone???.

Originally Posted by Tommy1995
Can someone please help me. I have read and searched ALL of the post and all it has done is confuse me even more. I just installed a hitch and need to know exactly what I need to buy to wire everythng up to pull my trailers. One is a 4 prong trailer and the other ia a7 prong. I will be using a brake controler for the 7 prong. This is what I have found in my "tow package equipt" Audi thus far. Last pic is from under the dash driver side. The others are on the right side (passenger side) of the rear

please. If anyone knows exactly what part numbers I need please post them. Also links to what I need would be great too. I would also like the brake controller to wireless if possible.
thanks for any advice. Sorry again. I know this topic has been covered a million times and I have tried to figure it out. Just dont want to buy anything that I don't need or that won't work. Dealer wanted $1000 just in parts and then said they would also charge for labor and programming the Q to be able to tow. Not looking to spend 1500+ on a vehicle that says it has a factory tow package.

Old 02-02-2018, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go to ecs site to check the harness
Q7 hitch
You'll see 2 connectors coming from hitch.
big one plug into hitch control module,
small one will plug into connectors on picture 2,
The red connector on picture one go to control module as well,
connector on picture 3 is for your own aftermarket brake controller.
Tekonsha has a wireless brake controller, but it's tricky to set up with Audi system. Most people paired it using domestic cars, and then move whole setup to Audi.
Hope this helps.
Old 02-02-2018, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the reply! How do I know if I have a hitch control module? Called the dealer and they said I need the module ($582) and the wiring harness ($522.) I would have thought a car that says on the build sheet that it has a towing package it would have the control module in it already. They couldnt tell me if I already have the module

Originally Posted by dukesean
Go to ecs site to check the harness
Q7 hitch
You'll see 2 connectors coming from hitch.
big one plug into hitch control module,
small one will plug into connectors on picture 2,
The red connector on picture one go to control module as well,
connector on picture 3 is for your own aftermarket brake controller.
Tekonsha has a wireless brake controller, but it's tricky to set up with Audi system. Most people paired it using domestic cars, and then move whole setup to Audi.
Hope this helps.
Old 02-02-2018, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 566 Likes on 448 Posts

If those plugs are not plugged into anything, likely not.. you should have another wire there for the harness to the trailer plug.

My vehicle came with a hitch but it did not come with towing package, are you certain it was listed on the original sticker? In my case the PO had a hitch put on for a bike rack and never had any of the wiring installed... Luckily I was smart enough to spot the lack of wiring and I got em to throw it in before I bought it.
Old 02-02-2018, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by dreadlocks
If those plugs are not plugged into anything, likely not.. you should have another wire there for the harness to the trailer plug.

My vehicle came with a hitch but it did not come with towing package, are you certain it was listed on the original sticker? In my case the PO had a hitch put on for a bike rack and never had any of the wiring installed... Luckily I was smart enough to spot the lack of wiring and I got em to throw it in before I bought it.
Old 02-02-2018, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yeah trailer hitch pre-wiring exists on every vehicle.. thats not a tow package.. Tow package would be on the left side with all the other options like this:

You'll need the wiring harness and towing module, but you lack the cooling equipment so your max tow rating is going to be 5500lbs and not 6600lbs

Last edited by dreadlocks; 02-02-2018 at 06:52 PM.
Old 02-02-2018, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

So basically I need to see of that red wire goes to a module?
Yeah trailer hitch pre-wiring exists on every vehicle.. thats not a tow package.. Tow package would be on the left side with all the other options like this:

You'll need the wiring harness and towing module, but you lack the cooling equipment so your max tow rating is going to be 5500lbs and not 6600lbs
Old 02-02-2018, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Do you have any wiring to plug a trailer into? Nobody would leave that red plug floating like that if there was a module installed...

Your going to need the module (goes under that tie-down d-link), the wiring harness from the module to the receiver hitch, the 7 pin trailer receptacle plug, and an adapter cable to plug in a brake controller of your choice (3rd party or DIY make one), its usually cheaper to buy the kit from ECS than the individual parts.. Just the harness and the module alone are more than the kit from ECS

oh and also a VCDS to recode the vehicle to use the module

Last edited by dreadlocks; 02-02-2018 at 07:07 PM.
Old 02-02-2018, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Do you have any wiring to plug a trailer into? no. Nothing by the hitch I just installed. Nobody would leave that red plug floating like that if there was a module installed...so that red plug would be plugged into the module and then I would plug the wiring harness into the module?

Your going to need the module (goes under that tie-down d-link), the wiring harness from the module to the receiver hitch, the 7 pin trailer receptacle plug, and an adapter cable to plug in a brake controller of your choice (3rd party or DIY make one), its usually cheaper to buy the kit from ECS than the individual parts.. Just the harness and the module alone are more than the kit from ECS

oh and also a VCDS to recode the vehicle to use the module this is a separate part I will also need?

Quick Reply: Trailer wiring (again)