Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Transmission Issues - Help! :(

Old 11-13-2017, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The clicks from the dash could well be due to the door touch sensors shorting to ground. The system is not going to sleep mode which causes the systems in the car to stay active. This causes extra drain on the battery when parked and probably explains all the low voltage codes you got at first.

I would disconnect the battery for half an hour then re-connect it and clear all codes then see how it behaves. If the car is driven fairly regularly the battery can stand the drain for quite a while - being parked up for about a week is quite possible .
As for the transmission - change the fluid straight away. It may be good money after bad but it's the only sure way to find out - doo adaption first by all means because you have changed the MAF's and it should be done as a matter of course.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by raj99
George,
Did you clear all the codes and try scanning again?

Also, I'd recommend you perform a tranny adaption on the vehicle. BTW, I'm local to you and have some experience with the 4.2 model Audi + have a full VCDS

Transmission Adaption instructions
Raj99, can you shoot me a text?? I’m having a back of a time trying to PM you. I don’t think they’re sending. 720-352-7011. Thanks!!
Old 11-18-2017, 04:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by George Trudeau
Raj99, can you shoot me a text?? I’m having a back of a time trying to PM you. I don’t think they’re sending. 720-352-7011. Thanks!!
Hi George sent you a PM.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Hi all, this file may be of use to many about how the Q7 tranny works and provides details on the mechanics and the electronic governors.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Old 11-30-2017, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Quick update on this issue..... Took it to a German car shop local to me this week.

Looks like it's a valve body replacement for the transmission. I will be authorizing that fix once he has a price for me tomorrow. I am guessing in the neighborhood of $2000. Also, apparent vacuum leak for the lean codes. I will address that one myself though. This is all I authorized them to diagnose because it took them 4 hours to figure all of that out.

I will follow up in a few weeks and report how the transmission is doing, for search/archive reasons

Thanks,
George
Old 11-30-2017, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Quick update on this issue..... Took it to a German car shop local to me this week.

Looks like it's a valve body replacement for the transmission. I will be authorizing that fix once he has a price for me tomorrow. I am guessing in the neighborhood of $2000. Also, apparent vacuum leak for the lean codes. I will address that one myself though. This is all I authorized them to diagnose because it took them 4 hours to figure all of that out.

I will follow up in a few weeks and report how the transmission is doing, for search/archive reasons

Thanks,
George
Try these guys to get your valve body rebuilt. He is the one, that conviced me that my issues were beyond the VB, and saved me the money to put toward the trans I ended up swapping in

https://www.ebay.com/usr/worldwidesp...p2047675.l2559.

I will see if I can find his phone number. He is quite a talker, but really is very helpful.
Old 12-15-2017, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Update:

Got the Q back today. Runs like brand new again! Ended up being the valve body. I do not want to talk about the cost- I could have bought a decent used car for what I paid to fix the transmission (seriously- I could have bough a low mile 1997 Accord). So far so good for everything else. Time and weeks will tell, but I love this car. I finally got to drive the snot out of it and love it. While it's not a car that does 0-60 in 4 seconds, it performs very well and I **love** the exhaust tone, especially for stock!!

I just hope it holds together for a while with no serious problems- I've been off on a bad foot with it! (knock-on-wood)
Old 12-17-2017, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Update:

Got the Q back today. Runs like brand new again! Ended up being the valve body. I do not want to talk about the cost- I could have bought a decent used car for what I paid to fix the transmission (seriously- I could have bough a low mile 1997 Accord). So far so good for everything else. Time and weeks will tell, but I love this car. I finally got to drive the snot out of it and love it. While it's not a car that does 0-60 in 4 seconds, it performs very well and I **love** the exhaust tone, especially for stock!!

I just hope it holds together for a while with no serious problems- I've been off on a bad foot with it! (knock-on-wood)
That's too bad about the cost, but at least it's working now. I suppose since the issue wasn't with the engine, you had to pay for the tranny issues. FWIW, I always recommend doing tranny fluid & filter changes, as part of your maintenance cycle. You'll need to determine your tranny manufacturer, but for my C6, I do it every 60K miles and even though Audi doesn't have it on the maintenance schedule...ZF the OE certainly does.
Old 12-17-2017, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by raj99
That's too bad about the cost, but at least it's working now. I suppose since the issue wasn't with the engine, you had to pay for the tranny issues. FWIW, I always recommend doing tranny fluid & filter changes, as part of your maintenance cycle. You'll need to determine your tranny manufacturer, but for my C6, I do it every 60K miles and even though Audi doesn't have it on the maintenance schedule...ZF the OE certainly does.
Correct- Transmission valve body. So, filter & fluid is fresh now. I'm good for the duration of owning this car. We'll likely buy a brand new car in 3 years, which will mean this will have about 50k more miles on it by then. Hopefully no major repairs in that time, but who knows.

As luck would have it- Engine light came on this morning. Ha. Pretty sure it's the lean idle codes again, pretty certain it is a vacuum leak somewhere. I'll have to buy a ross-tech in the next few days to confirm, but for now- It's driving like a champ.

Thanks for your help with this!
~~George