Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

TSB for 07 Q7 Sunroof drain (leak into electrics)

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 05:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pchansen
Nuts..
don't you have the manual option for the mirrors?
Old 02-14-2010, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kaptom540
don't you have the manual option for the mirrors?
Yeah we have the manual operation through the mirror switch. It just would have been nice to automate the operation.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I purchased a 2007 Q7 in December 2009 with about 40K miles on it. VIN #WA1BY74L37D057580. It poured the day after we got it and we noticed a heavy water leak coming from the passenger side under the glove box.

The work order states that the end of the sunroof drain separeted. The sunroof drain (part #4L0-877-202-A) was replaced. The floor mats got damaged so the dealer gave us a new set. Not nice to have the car in the dealer the day after you buy it, but no harm done.

About two weeks later we were out in the rain again. (Car is garaged... so it doesn't see much rain) The speakers started popping and in a few minutes we had no audio. The MMI would completely freeze if we attempted to access any of the audio settings... etc. Back to the dealer.

Dealer found that the rear sunroof drain tube leaking it was removed and replaced with "RTV SILICON GASKET". The amplifier was also replaced. At this point I am thinking this car was a major mistake with 2 different leaks in 2 weeks...

It has been about a month and we have had no more water issues, but over rough roads the car is a real rattle trap... I traded a 2005 Ford F-150 for it and by comparison the ford was very quiet. Every bump in the Q7 something is squeaking or rattling I feel like I am driving my other car (a 1995 M3 with track suspension) it rattles about the same amount and is 12 years older with a very stiff lowered suspension. A fair amount seems to be coming from the sunroof, but there also seems to be some noise from the rear seats? It is difficult to tell exactly, but it drives me nuts.

I hope the info on the leaks is helpful. Any suggestions or service bulletins that deal with the rattles?

Stephen
Old 02-16-2010, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Q7 Sunroof issue

This is just a warning for other Q7 owners. Before continuing, I just want you to know that I LOVE my Q7 and I have had no other issues at all. This is not to harp on Audi - they stood behind their product in this case.

So, I have a 2007 Q7 with about 50K miles on it. Just before I hit 50K miles, I notified the dealer of an issue with the center console and my MMS system. The MMS screen wouldn't stay on more than a second or two, and the navigation buttons on the console stopped working. All other parts of the console were fine. After reading about the vulnerability of the center console to water, I just assumed that I had accidentally spilled water on the console and I would have to pay to fix it. Little did I know that the sunroof housing had an issue. I took it into the dealer thinking it would take about an hour for them to evaluate it, and 5 weeks later I had my car back. We had received several inches of rain about a week prior, and the entire back wheel well of my car had 4 inches of water in it. The water destroyed my radio, amplifier, navigation, and several other computers and the wiring harness used to connect them all. Total cost of the repair - $27,000!!!!! Evidently, there have been several Technical Bulletins on the sunroof issue, and they actually replaced the housing around my sunroof (that's what I was told) from a 3 piece housing to a 1 piece housing.

If you have a Q7, I would strongly suggest you talk to your dealer to see if they can fix this one before the housing separates on you!
Old 02-16-2010, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 07Q7
I purchased a 2007 Q7 in December 2009 with about 40K miles on it. VIN #WA1BY74L37D057580. It poured the day after we got it and we noticed a heavy water leak coming from the passenger side under the glove box.

The work order states that the end of the sunroof drain separeted. The sunroof drain (part #4L0-877-202-A) was replaced. The floor mats got damaged so the dealer gave us a new set. Not nice to have the car in the dealer the day after you buy it, but no harm done.

About two weeks later we were out in the rain again. (Car is garaged... so it doesn't see much rain) The speakers started popping and in a few minutes we had no audio. The MMI would completely freeze if we attempted to access any of the audio settings... etc. Back to the dealer.

Dealer found that the rear sunroof drain tube leaking it was removed and replaced with "RTV SILICON GASKET". The amplifier was also replaced. At this point I am thinking this car was a major mistake with 2 different leaks in 2 weeks...

It has been about a month and we have had no more water issues, but over rough roads the car is a real rattle trap... I traded a 2005 Ford F-150 for it and by comparison the ford was very quiet. Every bump in the Q7 something is squeaking or rattling I feel like I am driving my other car (a 1995 M3 with track suspension) it rattles about the same amount and is 12 years older with a very stiff lowered suspension. A fair amount seems to be coming from the sunroof, but there also seems to be some noise from the rear seats? It is difficult to tell exactly, but it drives me nuts.

I hope the info on the leaks is helpful. Any suggestions or service bulletins that deal with the rattles?

Stephen

I'm so happy to read of all the problems you and others are having with the sunroof. I'm not happy for you having problems, I'm happy for the decision I made when buying my Q7.

From the past experience with a car with a small normal size sunroof I decided never to own another car with sunroof. No matter who builds it. When I went to my Audi dealer I thought I will not buy a Q7 from them because in the internet pages they had full roof size panoramic sunroof in all Q7s.

For my surprise their test driver Q7 did not have sunroof, which was the only one without it. The car had 957 miles on it but this is the car I bought. The car sold as new since it never was registered.

I don't know why people want to have sunroofs. There really is no good use for it unless you are a smoker. And even then, is it worth the trouble? After a couple of years it starts leaking and making noise and there really is no good fix for these issues.

It is a shame the sunroof ruins othervice so perfect car.

Arrie
Old 02-18-2010, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Welcome and thanks for taking the time to reply, adding to our knowledge base. I think the Q7 is actually more reliable overall that we thought as the various electrics didnt fail... they were drowned!
It should also be reiterated these were all in earlier MY 07 production only.
Old 02-21-2010, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Just wanted to follow up on my issues. I found several posts here on the forum that helped me fix all of my rattles.

For the sunroof noises I lubricated the seal with plastilube... It is intended for brakes... but it seemed to work well.

It turns out that a majority of the other noises were related to the rear seat, the center portion of the 2nd row to be precise. I fixed these noises by wrapping the post that the center portion latches to with felt tape. I used felt tape that can be purchased at home depot and is used for the feet of furniture...

I went downtown (really bumpy roads) last night and it was almost silent. So much better! Hopefully this can help someone else.

-Stephen
Old 05-07-2010, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hello All,

I am looking to buy a CPO 07 Q7 and am trying to research more about the sunroof leak issue. Is it something that is easily preventable by a dealer modification? How can I tell if this work has been performed? Most of the cars I have been reviewing are outside of the VIN range. Will they still do the modification?

Thanks!
Eric
Old 05-08-2010, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

If you're looking a Q7's that are outside the affected VIN range, I'd assume you'd be OK. As for getting a dealer to replace your sunroof frame with an updated one in a car that is asymptomatic, I wouldn't bet on it. You would be well advised to stay away from these '07's in this VIN range as they are closing in on the end of the factory warranty period. Outside the factory warranty, I believe the only help you'd get from a dealer would be "goodwill" and that is totally subjective and up to the individual dealer based on your relationship with that dealer.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Arrie
I'm so happy to read of all the problems you and others are having with the sunroof. I'm not happy for you having problems, I'm happy for the decision I made when buying my Q7.

From the past experience with a car with a small normal size sunroof I decided never to own another car with sunroof. No matter who builds it. When I went to my Audi dealer I thought I will not buy a Q7 from them because in the internet pages they had full roof size panoramic sunroof in all Q7s.

For my surprise their test driver Q7 did not have sunroof, which was the only one without it. The car had 957 miles on it but this is the car I bought. The car sold as new since it never was registered.

I don't know why people want to have sunroofs. There really is no good use for it unless you are a smoker. And even then, is it worth the trouble? After a couple of years it starts leaking and making noise and there really is no good fix for these issues.

It is a shame the sunroof ruins othervice so perfect car.

Arrie
To each his own; in sunlight deficient pacnw, I wouldn't / won't own a car without a sunroof ... the bigger the better. The extra light is absolutely crucial otherwise your car feels like a cave.

Strangely, I've owned no less than 10 cars over the past two decades and not one of the has ever had any issues (doesn't mean I'm not looking at this TSB for our Q7 though). And that's here where it rains almost non-stop all winter, we have tons of fir trees with needles and a good portion of those cars were parked outside.

Maybe it's the constant rain that flushes the sunroof drains? Or it could be that I usually don't keep cars longer than 2-3yrs?

I really don't understand why people think sunroofs are inherently going to leak, do you expect your window to leak? Your windshield? Your door, your trunk?

Quick Reply: TSB for 07 Q7 Sunroof drain (leak into electrics)