Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

updating my MMI s/w

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 10:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

SUCCESS!!!!!

Well kind of....I installed everything on my father's 2014 Q5 3.0T and everything ran flawlessly. I was done with wiping the existing code on the HDD and reimaging the new maps all within 2 hours! New S/W, new maps, and activation success!

There were a couple of potential issues, especially with the laginess of the existing Audi QNX package. But patience willed out, not major code issues and everything worked well.

Feeling buoyed by the success of helping out my dad, I went ahead and decided to update my A8. I thought the process would be the same and so would the install time.....WRONG.

Similar process, install time was almost 4 hours! I don't know whether I had bloated code or the system on the A8 is that much more inefficient (i.e. older HDD drive speed, etc...). However, after having a few issues, with no auto restarts and having to power down and walk away from the vehicle and then restarting....well SUCCESS!!

By this time, I was just too darn tired to both attempting it on my Q7. But I can verify, that I've successfully installed and activated the latest s/w and maps on 3G+ MMI!

Now the part all people who've ever coded disdain....documentation I did take notes and will be compiling the process, systems, and visuals to assist in the future.
Old 08-12-2018, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mmi maps update

After reading the forum on updating the maps I am pleased that it worked. You can get the updated maps in the myaudiusa.com. Although I livein Canada this is the place to get the maps.
1. You need to login and scroll down to the Audi connect services
2. Check the Complete package and prepare package
3. You will diwnload a Java Downloader
4. Open the downloader from the Finder on a mac. (The download would not open from the Desktop toolbar. )
Old 08-12-2018, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Mmi update

1. I downloaded the maps and software onto an external HD formatted to NTFS Microsoft There are lots of other files on the harddrive so the map files were interdispbursed with all the other files on the harddrive
2. It took about 2.5 hours
3. Now I turned on the 2017 A4 without starting plugged in the usb cablled HD into the console Usb drive
4. You get to the update screen by selecting the Drive screen and moving the large MMI **** to the left.
5. Choose MMI system, system maintenance, system update
6. I chose update and in about 24 minutes it was all updated
Old 08-12-2018, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Mfgiles
After reading the forum on updating the maps I am pleased that it worked. You can get the updated maps in the myaudiusa.com. Although I livein Canada this is the place to get the maps.
1. You need to login and scroll down to the Audi connect services
2. Check the Complete package and prepare package
3. You will diwnload a Java Downloader
4. Open the downloader from the Finder on a mac. (The download would not open from the Desktop toolbar. )
What year and model car do you have? Since you can't simply download maps from Audi and install them for the 3G+ mmi systems
Old 08-12-2018, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Audi A4 maps

The car is an A4 Pogressive Plus Quattro 2017. I had no problem diwnloading the maps on a MacBook Pro. I had tried on my Windows Desktop but could not download from that computer for some reason
Old 08-12-2018, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Mfgiles
The car is an A4 Pogressive Plus Quattro 2017. I had no problem diwnloading the maps on a MacBook Pro. I had tried on my Windows Desktop but could not download from that computer for some reason
Congratulations, you have a B9 platform where Audi decided to make map updates available to all online. That is not applicable to the mmi in our Q7s, or other older Gen Audi models. So what you did and what I've done is not the same process, software, firmware, and code.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Fwiw, I updated the maps and everything on the Q7 yesterday ... No issues and proceeded along in a couple of hours.

So now all my vehicles have 2018 navigation and firmware associated with them
Old 08-19-2018, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by raj99
Fwiw, I updated the maps and everything on the Q7 yesterday ... No issues and proceeded along in a couple of hours.

That's awesome! I've been looking to do this on my 2013 allroad, but have yet to find the base files anywhere.
Old 08-27-2018, 04:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by raj99

Hey Raj,
I PM'd you about the update.
Give me a shout!
Old 08-31-2018, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by jbgilbank
Hey Raj,
I PM'd you about the update.
Give me a shout!
Sorry for the delay...just been busy with life and I'm actually going to be putting the Q7 up for sale shortly. Nothing wrong with the vehicle, but my partner realizes that she doesn't really like driving a SUV and much prefer her current people mover aka minivan. So i'll be taking a loss, but no point holding onto something that won't be used.

Quick Reply: updating my MMI s/w