Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

V12 Style LED DRL/Turn Indicator w/ Pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default V12 Style LED DRL/Turn Indicator w/ Pics

A lot of people have been asking me for info about these LED lights I have installed and there really isn't a thread specific to this mod, only some partial info in this thread: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...-mods-2846963/

These LEDs will fit all 2007-2009 Q7s. It may fit 2010+ models with the halogen headlights too, someone will have to confirm what type of bulbs the 2010+ halogen signals use.

Overall I really like them and I purchased them for $280 shipped from eBay: For 2007 2010 Audi Q7 22 LED Direct Fit LED Daytime Running Lights w Turn Signal | eBay

There are other sellers who have the LEDs listed around the $150 range but are from China and add another $100 for shipping to the states, plus I wanted a seller from the United States just incase there was an issue with the lights (There hasn't been), I could easily return them.

Shipping was fast and they arrived in a 'big' box, the signals were wrapped in styrofoam.

Here is what they looked like after I took them out of the box and took the styrofoam off of them (Please excuse my patio table work bench, lol) The quality of the LEDs is ok, nothing like OEM, but they will last, they look like OEM though, connections are brittle and you need to be careful when installing, IMO they are not worth $280... but they have been fine so far. I have had them since November, they've held up well with the winter weather.

The Install was extremely easy, complete plug and play. each signal comes with its own decoder box which prevents errors (theres only one decoder box for each light). then it has connections that connect into the OEM signal sockets. for added security I wrapped all of my connections in electrical tape to prevent Salt, Water, etc from getting in and corroding the connections. The lights are a perfect fit and bolt right up just like the OEM bulb housings did. I mounted the decoders with 3M double sided tape on the frame that holds the impact bar right behind the plastic bumper.

Once Installed, The white LEDs look nice but have a bluish look, so if you want your headlights to match I suggest you look into upgrading the headlight bulbs as well like I did. https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...-pics-2894271/

The Amber LEDs are bright, but nothing compared to OEM LEDs. They get the job done, one issue I've noticed is that in the daytime when the white LED lights are on, the amber LEDs are almost non visible, and thats because the white LED "drowns out" the Amber LED. I'm not sure but there could be a way via vagcom to enable some sort of wink with the parking light and turn signal, but I don't have a vagcom so I don't know. At night the amber LED is somewhat visible but doesn't catch your eye like it should, so that is definitely a safety hazard.

Both sets of LEDs (White & Amber) are bright, but nothing like OEM, they still look good and retain that classy/luxury look the Q7 has, especially at night.

Keep in mind that the white LED "DRL" is not a true DRL (Daytime Running Light) but it is possible to wire it to be. in stock form the white LED is connected to the parking light, so only turns on when the parking lights / headlights are on.

Comparison of OEM parking light and LED "DRL" (4300k OEM Yellow headlights):

Amber LED:

White LED:

Hazard Lights (White LEDs Unplugged in this pic):

It looks OEM when lights are 'Off' too.

Here's a cool picture. The LEDs enhance the Q7 a lot.

Last edited by D3Audi; 02-13-2016 at 03:24 PM.
Old 02-13-2016, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Great write-up and mod! They remind me very much of the C6 S6 DRL LED setup. Looks VERY OEM and agreed that going with the more "white" headlight bulb compliments things.
Old 02-13-2016, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by raj99
Great write-up and mod! They remind me very much of the C6 S6 DRL LED setup. Looks VERY OEM and agreed that going with the more "white" headlight bulb compliments things.
Thank you, I agree. It does look similar to the C6 S6's LEDs. I had the opportunity to let a friend drive it to the end of the road and back at night so I could see what they look like and with the bluish-white Osram D1S headlights it looks like the V12 model that's all over YouTube. The unfortunate part is those new stupid POS vehicles called the Hyundai Sonata have LEDs in the similar location. The hyundai's lights are slanted, while these are flat. At night I like the flat look. Haha
Old 02-19-2016, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Well, here's an update to anyone interested. My Q7 has been throwing a lot of codes lately, my code reader says there is a "quiescent current". I'm worried it could be the resistors for these LEDs. What does everyone think? I'm thinking on ditching them and going back to my OEM halogen turn signals.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they look great. very clean looking car, silver is a classic, unbeatable color. your car doesn't show its age. if i wasn't an aficionado for q7s on first glance it looks like a 2012, maybe 2013
Old 02-26-2016, 08:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks Chris! A doctor had it before me and it was meticulously maintained, I think I scored with it. (We'll see as the miles increase, lol) I recently just moved and my new neighbors came over and were drooling all over my car, they asked "How do you like it, is it a 15?" And it was kind of awkward. When I told them it was 9 years old they almost fell on the ground. The Q7's design was definitely ahead of its time when it came out in 2006. Also, When I reinstall these ill take pics and make a YouTube video, maybe you can go back through and compare your connections with mine and see if that could be it. I may install them back tomorrow if I have time.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sounds like a plan. Looking forward to it.
Old 02-28-2016, 01:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi!

Congratulations for the job you did, the car looks really nice, I like the color, mine is the same... LoL

I was wondering do the same modification but in my region according to the law it is must to have also parking lights, so doing it like you already did I will lose it, right?

Do you have any idea or know, if it is possible to exchange the wiring to have parking lights inside the head lights (where currently there are DRL) and use those you installed as DRL?

I know that using it like that, efekt will be exacetelly the same but if police stoped me I can demonstrate that I have also normal parking lights. BTW, how it is in NY, is it also obligathory to have parking lights?

Thanks!
Paul
Old 02-28-2016, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

in these lights, the white LED light is connected to the parking light, and the orange LED light is connected to the turn signal. According to USA Spec Code the front parking lights need to be orange, but I have had no trouble with that so far.

If you want to wire your parking lights to the DRL you could get a male end 194 and run the wires to the 7506 bulb in the headlight. Then do the opposite for the DRL to LED. One thing is you could run into wattage issues (bulb out errors) with swapping the light's destinations.

In NY I am required to have parking lights, but to be honest, most police won't know this difference. The big issue in NY is getting the car inspected with an error on the dash (bulb out error) but fortunately these lights do not throw errors. Where are you located? In other conuntries the parking light needs to be a white bulb, so therefore these lights will work in compliance to the laws.
Old 02-28-2016, 08:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you very much for the answer it helps me a lot!

I am located in Europe (white parking lights are needed here), so in fact if I do like you described I shouldn't have any problem with it because parking lights will be available in the main headlight and during the day I will use those new DRL's. In addition to that in my current car's configuration I have installed in the front headlights as DRL also LED bulbs with the resistors, so I need only to swap the wiring.

Thanks again!