Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

VAG-COM / VCDS Air Suspension Lowering

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you have lowered the car, the automatic lowering at speed will still happen!! and its not good.

i realised this driving at 100mph and the suspension light on the dash started flashing!! the car was 'jumping' up and down! pulled over straight away, then changed my pants and restarted the car.

which sorted the problem, and i now know not to drive over 100 mph in dynamic or auto. keep it in comfort and it wont auto lower.

no need anyway as the car is lower to start with.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

So do you know why exactly it started playing up, it would be handy to know. How much have you it lowered by.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by stevebeechTA
So do you know why exactly it started playing up, it would be handy to know. How much have you it lowered by.
i dont know the exact measurement as i told the garage who fitted the links to make it as low as possible!!

but the offroad setting is now what the original dynamic was!!

i think it went 'crazy' because it was auto lowereing but the sensors couldnt go to the lowest setting so threw up an error code.

but now its lowered, there is no need to make it lower for fuel efficieny or to reduce drag as thats what the auto lowering is supposed to do.
Old 05-11-2014, 05:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by TimU
Hi All,
Just thought I'd post a few before and after pics of my car following an afternoon spent tinkering with VCDS.

Before:

Dynamic:

front: 435mm
rear: 450mm

Auto/Comfort ("Normal" height):

front: 449mm
Rear: 465mm

Original VCDS values:
Ch1 449 - L. Front Wheel
Ch2 449 - R. Front Wheel
Ch3 465 - L. Rear Wheel
Ch4 465 - R. Rear Wheel
Ch5 O - Saved

After:

Car in Dynamic suspension mode

Updated VCDS values:
Ch1 464
Ch2 464
Ch3 470
Ch4 470
Ch5 1

How you ask? 8-)
"How To" guide here: http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/levelcontrol.html
With help from here: http://forums.quattroworld.com/q7/msgs/3314.phtml

How it works
(explanation thanks to Iconoclast on QuattroWorld forums)

The values you see are the measurements from centre of the wheel to edge of the fender.
When you enter a higher than normal value, the ECU will lower the vehicle to compensate for what it believes is an the abnormal ride height.

If you entered a lower than normal value, the ECU assumes the vehicle is lower than normal and will raise the vehicle to compensate.

The measurements are in mm, so to lower the car by 15mm, you add 15 to each number and then save it using CH5. Once that is done the entire car will lower itself by 15mm.

The values you enter are for the default "normal" ride height while the suspension is in Auto or Comfort modes. However the changes to the values are uniform across all ride heights. i.e. 15mm lower for all height settings.

Challenges:
Iconoclast said he had initially set his rear suspension to 490, a 25mm drop, however I couldn't get mine to accept a valid value above 470, which is only a 5mm drop. This might have been caused by programming the car while on my sloped driveway. I need to find somewhere flat and try again.

Extras:
While I had VCDS cranking, I also:
* added a Battery Meter to the MMI
* enabled the hidden advanced settings menu in MMI (nothing really useful here)
* enabled Dynamic Cornering Lights, front fogs fade in/out when cornering
* enabled Aux Heating (yet to test)

GiDay mate;
Thanks for this EGSELLENT post !
Will try your suggestions soon

did you get a 'reference surface' etc ..sorry haven't done this b 4
so asking a numbee question..

Cheers
Old 05-28-2014, 02:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No worries at all, glad I could help.

To be honest, No, I haven't had a chance to redo the settings on a reference surface since I first made the changes. Seems fine so far, but haven't confirmed.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by stevebeechTA
bump stops tell the suspension level control module to raise the vehicle since it exceeded the threshold. this system was not designed for "slamming" or "stance" and will not operate as designed. from my experience 10-15mm lower with the proper alignment is the best operating height (for me). allows use of the other functions without issue and does not turn the ride to complete ****.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Lowring with AUTO HIEIGHT ) Adap CRUISE

Originally Posted by iconoclast
bump stops tell the suspension level control module to raise the vehicle since it exceeded the threshold. this system was not designed for "slamming" or "stance" and will not operate as designed. from my experience 10-15mm lower with the proper alignment is the best operating height (for me). allows use of the other functions without issue and does not turn the ride to complete ****.
Hi Ico*
thanks for comments , and info> much appreciated.
Not sure I will do much to my Q7 at this moment in time - as its only done 3600Kms . Being a "fully loaded' model ( all and just about every option Q7 has to offer is on this car) in Canada , there seems to lots of people who go crazy with changes ; then complain to dealers how 'sh** their ride is etc"

Also having grown up in Australia , for most of my life - I do miss some those AUSSIE ENGIN"UITY" ... K-MAC SUSPENSION is a great example.....
also miss those BIG AUSSIE ROO_BAR (BULLBARS) in front.

So I might be looking for their assistance to do this "lowering" and added 'weight' as I intend to set my Q7 like my Toyo LAND CRUISER (turbo -diesel model) that I had while I grew up in Australia. It was near Unbreakable and go-anywhere vehicle!! I drove my one Cruiser for just over 200K and never had any MAJOR ISSUES...... so love their DIESEL ENGINES , and yet to see how Audi TDI works out
Miss that a lot
Old 09-25-2014, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by miked807
Hi Ico*
Not sure I will do much to my Q7 at this moment in time - as its only done 3600Kms . Being a "fully loaded' model ( all and just about every option Q7 has to offer is on this car) in Canada , there seems to lots of people who go crazy with changes ; then complain to dealers how 'sh** their ride is etc"
that is why i am only doing an oem+ approach to this vehicle... it's good enough the way it is but needs a minor bit of attention. my last suv was an x5m and the one before that a rrs-sc. so the q7 is a bit tame compared to them. i am not looking to reinvent the q7 but enhance it with minor touches. (in most cases so minor that most people would not even notice. you would have to be a real audi nerd i mean enthusiast to tell.)
Old 10-25-2014, 11:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Looking forward to lowering my 2011 Q7.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Do I need to get alignment done if I lower my 2008 by 10-15mm

Quick Reply: VAG-COM / VCDS Air Suspension Lowering