Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

VAG-COM / VCDS Air Suspension Lowering

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

15mm or more should be aligned... the rear tires wear fairly quickly as it is now with lowering it will accelerate the uneven wear unless properly aligned.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, i´m new around here, however i find this discussion very helpful.
I have an issue which i would like to get off my head before lowering the whale, which is:
would lowering it affect the bags of the suspension? would it be more tense...or nah? I´m just thinking that i wouldn´t like to change any suspension after this slight mod...
Thanks in advance, guys!
Old 05-12-2016, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by teocasapu
Hello, i´m new around here, however i find this discussion very helpful.
I have an issue which i would like to get off my head before lowering the whale, which is:
would lowering it affect the bags of the suspension? would it be more tense...or nah? I´m just thinking that i wouldn´t like to change any suspension after this slight mod...
Thanks in advance, guys!
Less air in the bags make the ride a little softer actually. Lowering would be for asthetics only. I went down 12mm in the front and 10mm in the rear.
Old 05-13-2016, 12:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TimU
Hi All,
Just thought I'd post a few before and after pics of my car following an afternoon spent tinkering with VCDS.

Before:

Dynamic:

front: 435mm
rear: 450mm

Auto/Comfort ("Normal" height):

front: 449mm
Rear: 465mm

Original VCDS values:
Ch1 449 - L. Front Wheel
Ch2 449 - R. Front Wheel
Ch3 465 - L. Rear Wheel
Ch4 465 - R. Rear Wheel
Ch5 O - Saved

After:

Car in Dynamic suspension mode

Updated VCDS values:
Ch1 464
Ch2 464
Ch3 470
Ch4 470
Ch5 1

How you ask? 8-)
"How To" guide here: Ross-Tech: VAG-COM: Suspension Level Control Calibration
With help from here: quattroworld.com Forums: SLC Mod...

How it works
(explanation thanks to Iconoclast on QuattroWorld forums)

The values you see are the measurements from centre of the wheel to edge of the fender.
When you enter a higher than normal value, the ECU will lower the vehicle to compensate for what it believes is an the abnormal ride height.

If you entered a lower than normal value, the ECU assumes the vehicle is lower than normal and will raise the vehicle to compensate.

The measurements are in mm, so to lower the car by 15mm, you add 15 to each number and then save it using CH5. Once that is done the entire car will lower itself by 15mm.

The values you enter are for the default "normal" ride height while the suspension is in Auto or Comfort modes. However the changes to the values are uniform across all ride heights. i.e. 15mm lower for all height settings.

Challenges:
Iconoclast said he had initially set his rear suspension to 490, a 25mm drop, however I couldn't get mine to accept a valid value above 470, which is only a 5mm drop. This might have been caused by programming the car while on my sloped driveway. I need to find somewhere flat and try again.

Extras:
While I had VCDS cranking, I also:
* added a Battery Meter to the MMI
* enabled the hidden advanced settings menu in MMI (nothing really useful here)
* enabled Dynamic Cornering Lights, front fogs fade in/out when cornering
* enabled Aux Heating (yet to test)
__________________________________________________ _______________
TimU, what is the dimension of the wheels on your Q?
Old 03-07-2021, 08:34 AM
546AWHP/ 626AWTQ 4M.5

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by samchuang33
Just got reply from VCDS, apparently they are not sure if the new MY12 Q7 be able to be adjusted with their program.

Has anyone tried it with late model Q7?

Thx in advance.
Following... an ABT dealer here in GA said they could VCDS my 21 Q7 for $130/hr to lower my height but warned of possible adverse effects with other sensors. So I choose not to try at this time.
Old 04-27-2023, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pchansen
Damn you! You're going to make be buy a Vag-Com cable AND laptop since all I have are Macs. Thanks a bunch!
I bought a OBDEleven dongle and use the app. Works for all VCSD settings the same as as Ross-Tech and Vag-com

https://obdeleven.com/en/
Old 04-27-2023, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 699 Likes on 580 Posts

Originally Posted by tjlmbklr
I bought a OBDEleven dongle and use the app. Works for all VCSD settings the same as as Ross-Tech and Vag-com

https://obdeleven.com/en/
Actually it doesn't, as I bought an OBD-Eleven prior to purchasing my Ross-Tech VCDS; because I was attempting to resolve an issue my prior hand-held scantool couldn't handle. If I could've fixed the issue on my car (Headlights module problem) with the freaking OBD-Eleven I would have been ecstatic, but it couldn't touch the issue...it advised me I should buy a new control module. \\

In contrast, the VCDS allowed me to fully resolve the issue with the control module mounted on the car, and in doing so paid for itself in one usage, and VCDS continues to 'pay for itself' all over again most every time I use it. The VCDS (Ross-Tech) also does not play games with annual fee payments required to gain programming / full diagnostic and repair capability to the car. OBD-Eleven has two annual paywalls, depending on level of access you get to service the car, and that still may not be enough to fix it because it is simply not as developed for this car as the VCDS tool is. VCDS has been in this game for a very long time, and continues to refine itself, and that's why car shops use VCDS; you pay one price and it simply works...no games or points gained by watching ads on your phone, like the OBD-Eleven dongle requires. Don't get me wrong; I like the OBD-Eleven, but it's just not in the same class as is VCDS, and honestly it's not such a great deal/ affordable once you add in the ongoing annual fees to be able to actually use it. I keep it in one car to read codes with, since that's all it's good for anymore w/o the annual paywall subscription. It is very handy for reading/deleting trouble codes. Too bad the developers chose to overtly monetize every other redeeming aspect of it.

Last edited by '10Q7TDI_Prestige'; 04-27-2023 at 07:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
miked807 (05-16-2023)