Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

water noise in the trunk door

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water noise in the trunk door

Hello friends,

when i open trunk door, while it is going up and while going down (closing), I get clear sound of water moving in the inside of door. Quite a bit water seeps through when door is fully up as well. I just bought this 2007 Q7 from private party, worried if it would spoil electrical.

Please suggest what may be wrong and if there is any cleaning I need to do get water out. But, first, water really shouldn't enter that space right?

Thanks,
RZ
Old 03-25-2012, 06:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hope you still have warranty, but that's the common issue with 07/08 Q7's and the sunroof drains collapsing... Pop open the piece where the rear power outlet is and see if you find water in there
Old 03-26-2012, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If its in the tailgate itself it can end up in the (power version) close button causing it to fail. Not expensive, just annoying as the pins snap off.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

took it to Chantilly Audi service center. To my surprise the service rep told me that there is no issue at all. There are drains that run from inside the tailgate and that's why I hear water in the tailgate.

I was shocked to know, but not one but couple other services reps confirmed it. So, got to believe it, I guess!
Old 03-28-2012, 08:18 PM
LOP
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by markcorrado1
Hope you still have warranty, but that's the common issue with 07/08 Q7's and the sunroof drains collapsing... Pop open the piece where the rear power outlet is and see if you find water in there
Originally Posted by rz2012
took it to Chantilly Audi service center. To my surprise the service rep told me that there is no issue at all. There are drains that run from inside the tailgate and that's why I hear water in the tailgate.

I was shocked to know, but not one but couple other services reps confirmed it. So, got to believe it, I guess!
So you took the advice of post #2 and found no water yourself?
That is good then, means you might not have the collapsed drains.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

(pics in here) None of the people reporting sunroof drain problems reported hearing sloshing water... its a silent killer.
It does seem that something is blocked cos no one ever commented about the noise in six years. I am sure they are all wrong the water just runs down the oustide of the seals rz2012 has actual water sitting in the bottom his/her tailgate and thats not right.
If it was channelled through there we would see drain holes to let it out.

Just had a thought.

You guys do know that the fuel tank is a saddle type right? Fuel is pumped accross and back to balance it but when its just under 3/4 full it can run accross itself and you can hear it, especially when you reverse and turn.

Petrol/gas tank.

Last edited by Jusforfun; 03-29-2012 at 02:09 AM.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

This is getting very interesting. Took my Q7 to Audi Chantilly VA, USA. Not once but thrice! First time they said it is how Q7 is designed. Second time they ran it through car wash for several times but did not found any issues. Guess what, next day it rained heavily and I took it to shop, up goes tail gate and water starts pouring down from tail gate inside my car!! It was quite shocking for them too. Car has been sitting there for 4-5 days now. Finally, they came back. They hypothysis is that it a sealant problem around tail lights. They are not sure but asked me if I wanted to fix it. $680 is the cost. Problem is, water may still log after this repair and then I will be back to square one! Called Audi USA - told them it could be a manufacturing defect. Waiting for answer. No idea what should I do. On one hand I am worried about electricals, on another this just doesn't seem to be ending here after the repair.

Any help, thoughts? Shouldn't Audi take the tab on this even though car is out of warranty?
Old 03-26-2018, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by rz2012
This is getting very interesting. Took my Q7 to Audi Chantilly VA, USA. Not once but thrice! First time they said it is how Q7 is designed. Second time they ran it through car wash for several times but did not found any issues. Guess what, next day it rained heavily and I took it to shop, up goes tail gate and water starts pouring down from tail gate inside my car!! It was quite shocking for them too. Car has been sitting there for 4-5 days now. Finally, they came back. They hypothysis is that it a sealant problem around tail lights. They are not sure but asked me if I wanted to fix it. $680 is the cost. Problem is, water may still log after this repair and then I will be back to square one! Called Audi USA - told them it could be a manufacturing defect. Waiting for answer. No idea what should I do. On one hand I am worried about electricals, on another this just doesn't seem to be ending here after the repair.

Any help, thoughts? Shouldn't Audi take the tab on this even though car is out of warranty?
I understand this is a very old thread. I am having the same issue with my 2014 Q7. How did you fix it?
Old 03-26-2018, 07:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Where is your water?
Open the rear hatch and remove the floor and the next layer to see the spare tire.
If that area is wet in there your sunroof drains are leaking. and pathetic if Audi is still using the drain hose glued to outside of drain tube method instead of drain hose funneled into drain tube.
Mine had about 20 gallons of water in it. I made a video and a post how to fix it.
Old 03-27-2018, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I believe the OP and the most recent poster are not complaining about water in the trunk floor, which would be caused by the sunroof drains, but water in the actual tailgate which has nothing to do with the sunroof drains. I live where is rains more than most other places, park my q7 outside and have never had water sloshing around in my tailgate, so I've got to assume that they have blocked drains and/or a bad seal on a component on the tailgate.

Quick Reply: water noise in the trunk door