Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

White Soot? Q7 2015 TDI

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

FYI ours at 50000 miles (12000 since the fix) has zero soot in the pipes. I just wiped inside with my finger and nothing. ( our unfixed 2011 was the same even at 120000 miles.)

Last edited by J. Patterson; 11-16-2018 at 04:55 PM.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Will Post when I get a good picture. dealer washed the car so the pipes are way cleaner than normal. Of course it's got to go back to the dealer to be fixed again as they scratched (tore ish) the back of the passengers seat with what I'm guessing were keys. Kind like a person had keys in their hand while putting their hand on the passengers seat to turn their body and back up the car.

J Patterson - Ours was that way for the first 30k or so, then to about 60k we started to develop more black soot inside the exhaust pipes but not a huge amount. Then post fix (about 60k) we started to develop the same soot, but it was white. And even more pronounced around the Chrome tips too. They used to stay nice and clean and now look (no offense) dull and covered with something white ish like yours do. But WOW, that exhaust pipe is certainly clean!

Its a shame, still love the car and totally love the brand, but this version of the Q7 we've had has been more trouble than any VW/Audi we've had in the past. Probably has a lot to do with the dealer (the other one is 45 more minutes away than the one that we use which is 35min away). Shame.

I have to call the dealer again today, will post if anything new comes up.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan Cassidy
J Patterson - Ours was that way for the first 30k or so, then to about 60k we started to develop more black soot inside the exhaust pipes but not a huge amount. Then post fix (about 60k) we started to develop the same soot, but it was white. And even more pronounced around the Chrome tips too. They used to stay nice and clean and now look (no offense) dull and covered with something white ish like yours do. But WOW, that exhaust pipe is certainly clean!
FYI, I should have mentioned that we had just finished a several hundred mile road trip including lots of rain and some gravel forest service roads. That coating on outside is road grime. The tips clean up nicely. Good luck on figuring out what is going on with yours. I too tend to believe you are seeing AdBlue residue due to excessive injection.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Mine is doing the same thing...I had new tips put on due to being rearended and they are now white crusted too.
Old 12-17-2018, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Back in the shop

And an update :-)

Got the car back after a week or so... Worked fine, but they gouged the back of the passengers seat while they had it with what I assume was someone turning around to back out, with keys in their hand. Not to mention all the black dirt/grease in the footwells. Went back in for that, 1 week later, they replaced the panel and cleaned the drivers carpet.. So Far.... all was Ok. About 1.5-2k miles. Then Friday came. P0299 - Turbo/SuperCharger Underboost, CEL, and Glow Plug light blinking... Limp Mode. Wife drove it home, shut it off, restarted it the next day, code still there as "Pending" but car ran fine. Dropped it off at the dealership Sat AM will know more later this week I'm guessing.

Can I just go back to the PRE EPA fix please? :-) As un PC as that might be, the car was less trouble and I had to deal with the dealer a lot less too.

Can't tell on the white soot much anymore, as everytime it goes to the dealership they clean it for us... Its gone so frequently, I haven't had to clean it. lol.
Old 12-23-2018, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 873 Likes on 714 Posts

And an update :-)

Got the car back after a week or so... Worked fine, but they gouged the back of the passengers seat while they had it with what I assume was someone turning around to back out, with keys in their hand. Not to mention all the black dirt/grease in the footwells. Went back in for that, 1 week later, they replaced the panel and cleaned the drivers carpet.. So Far.... all was Ok. About 1.5-2k miles. Then Friday came. P0299 - Turbo/SuperCharger Underboost, CEL, and Glow Plug light blinking... Limp Mode. Wife drove it home, shut it off, restarted it the next day, code still there as "Pending" but car ran fine. Dropped it off at the dealership Sat AM will know more later this week I'm guessing.

Can I just go back to the PRE EPA fix please? :-) As un PC as that might be, the car was less trouble and I had to deal with the dealer a lot less too.

Can't tell on the white soot much anymore, as everytime it goes to the dealership they clean it for us... Its gone so frequently, I haven't had to clean it. lol.
Many people are complaining about the EPA fix. I am holding off until April 2020 to get the fix.
Old 12-24-2018, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

My post fix 2015 Q7 TDI is also developing the white particulates in the exhaust tips. Photo taken this morning is attached, but I've seen it with a lot more accumulation of the white particulates at times. Was definitely NOT there before the fix.

I've also had 2X CEL's that show on the VagCom as having to do with the DPF. I clear them and they stay away for a while before coming back.
Old 12-24-2018, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

And Car is back, dealer couldnt find anything wrong.... Audi "said" to do a smoke test and they found a lower turbo hose that was loose. Whatever, kinda think thats a load of BS and WAY to convenient of a fix. Zero difference before or after in the way the car runs. Picked up the car, drove 5 miles, blinking glow plug light, car goes into limp mode. Shut off, restart, no issues. Scan with OBDII tool. No codes.

Will go back in after the holidays. Dealer said they can't do anything until Audi USA is open. Annoying... no mechanics anymore, just corporate workflow. So we wait. 400miles and no issues since the last limp mode exercise immediately after we got it back.

apparently there is another Q7 with similar issues...

still no update on white soot... dealer washed car again. Lol.
Old 12-24-2018, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

That is almost exactly what mine looked like.....
Old 03-28-2019, 08:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

And Car is back, dealer couldnt find anything wrong.... Audi "said" to do a smoke test and they found a lower turbo hose that was loose. Whatever, kinda think thats a load of BS and WAY to convenient of a fix. Zero difference before or after in the way the car runs. Picked up the car, drove 5 miles, blinking glow plug light, car goes into limp mode. Shut off, restart, no issues. Scan with OBDII tool. No codes.

Will go back in after the holidays. Dealer said they can't do anything until Audi USA is open. Annoying... no mechanics anymore, just corporate workflow. So we wait. 400miles and no issues since the last limp mode exercise immediately after we got it back.

apparently there is another Q7 with similar issues...

still no update on white soot... dealer washed car again. Lol.
Any update. This is crazy. Maybe see if a different dealer is more helpful? Fyi the fix and compensation explicitly states you are not waiving right to sue. I'd start amping it up. Clearly the fix broke your car. Force them to buy back.

Quick Reply: White Soot? Q7 2015 TDI