Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Talk me out of a 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 08:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Talk me out of a 4Runner

So just test drove a 4runner (Limited);
- $30k less than a Q7 with a 6 cyl and same features - (4Runner even has cooling seats).
- Has a real 4x4 diff (This is my favorite feature FWIW).
- Takes even sh%*ty gas
- More ground clearance
- Massive cargo space
- depreciation 20% less than a Q7 - (I hate that I bought a $68k car 3 years ago and it's worth 30)
- Reliability - I can drive it for 10-15 years with much less worry/ service is much cheaper
- insurance is cheaper
- slightly more manly

But... I'd be giving up a Q7 (and this is my 4th) and I'm on city streets and highways 90% of my driving and the third row in the 4runner are jump seats.

Save me!
Old 09-09-2018, 09:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Location: seattle, Q5 premium plus with 20" wheels, Technology pkg, Nav, B&O Sound, Manhattan Grey with Black

Toyota reliability and cost of maintenance is hard to argue with, and it is regular gas.

On the other hand the Audi technology and handling and driving fun and enjoyment is superior. It puts a smile on your face, Toyota not so much. The 4 runner is a gas hog in AWD. It is butt ugly in the rear. Toyota interior meh. It looks like you buy a car about every three years so you are never out of warranty, as far as depreciation would leasing be better for you? Leasing can also have tax advantages for a work vehicle. my two cents, dave
Old 09-09-2018, 10:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

If you did a test drive, I think that covers the biggest drawback. It drives like a truck. But, did you do a good test drive, i.e. roads you frequent and a bit of time at highway speeds? If you liked it or at least aren't bothered by it, why should anyone talk you out of it?

If you can look at it as a truck and use it as you intend, whereas you were afraid to do so with the Q7, then it sounds like a good fit. I think your car should be useful to you, and not be some white elephant you are afraid to put to work.
Old 09-10-2018, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by arU4ic
So just test drove a 4runner (Limited);
- $30k less than a Q7 with a 6 cyl and same features - (4Runner even has cooling seats).
- Has a real 4x4 diff (This is my favorite feature FWIW).
- Takes even sh%*ty gas
- More ground clearance
- Massive cargo space
- depreciation 20% less than a Q7 - (I hate that I bought a $68k car 3 years ago and it's worth 30)
- Reliability - I can drive it for 10-15 years with much less worry/ service is much cheaper
- insurance is cheaper
- slightly more manly

But... I'd be giving up a Q7 (and this is my 4th) and I'm on city streets and highways 90% of my driving and the third row in the 4runner are jump seats.

Save me!
Dude, for real! We had a 97 Limited 4x4 and I am telling you it is hard to beat, all the way around. For crying out loud, it got better fuel economy on crap gas! But it ran 2 wheel 99.9% of the time, living in Cal with all the concrete!
We just sold it and bought a 2015 Q7, but we test drove a few Q's and then a 2016 4Runner, which was the same price. My wife endured a "truck ride" for 10 years and this is her dream "AIR ride" comfort! Plus all the tech, some of which the 4Runner did not have and the 3rd row? What the heck was toyota thinking?
In 10 years I put $1200 into this in maintenance, timing belt, water pump, plugs and wires, etc. just because I felt guilty!
Oil changes every 10,000 or so and a K&N air filter cleaning a couple of times, again, Cal living!
I loved my old school 4 but this Q is worlds ahead in comfort!
Not to mention the Q is capable of towing about 5000 lbs more! Ha, rated 3000 more. That sold me.
And Manly, look a Dreadlocks Q, that F***er is MANLY!
There is my 2 cents.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I came from an Xterra before my Q7. I shopped the 4Runner before getting an X to Power/Weight and compact size of the X. Q7 and 4Runner are totally different type of vehicle. The X and 4's are trucks. They have everything you need and nothing you don't. They ask to be abused and never let you down. The Q7 is an oversized car. It has a stuff you don't need, but they sure are nice to have. The Q7 has better options for engines and transmissions for towing. I got a boat and the X gearing and short wheelbase held it back as a tow vehicle. The Q7 does a solid job in that regard.

For what it is worth I went from Xterra to MDX to Xterra to Q7.

Last edited by not2fast; 09-10-2018 at 07:16 PM.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Seriously, Audi needs to hire Dread for PR, he might single-handedly keep me with the brand for our SUV needs.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Default to each...his own...

you couldn't GIVE me a tiota AND 30,000.00 to get me to trade out of my Q7.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by flynavy
you couldn't GIVE me a tiota AND 30,000.00 to get me to trade out of my Q7.
BAM - and there you have it - thanks Fly
Old 09-10-2018, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jbgilbank
And Manly, look a Dreadlocks Q, that F***er is MANLY!
There is my 2 cents.
Not sure I would go that far. I wouldn't get a 4Runner Limited personally. I want it to be rugged not trying to be a Lexus. If you go 4Runner you want a truck and the TRD PRO is the way to go. They are ugly kind of like bulldogs. Some reason I still love them.

Old 09-11-2018, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by not2fast
Not sure I would go that far. I wouldn't get a 4Runner Limited personally. I want it to be rugged not trying to be a Lexus. If you go 4Runner you want a truck and the TRD PRO is the way to go. They are ugly kind of like bulldogs. Some reason I still love them.

Yeah, remember, mine was a 97, PRE TRD! It was one of the most awesome TRUCKS I have had, as far as not needing a truck. Everyone loved it, except the ride, of a truck, which did not bother me.But your TRD sir, is simply awesome looking! I just don't go off road that much. For Christ sakes, I have summer tires installed? What foolishness, but that is how I bought it in California. The time is coming for the winds of change though. Thinking 18's with all-terrains.

Quick Reply: Talk me out of a 4Runner