Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

wife spilled coffee into her mmi controls. now the main dial spins but wont register...

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help, would like to try fixing my own mmi unit

Originally Posted by AudiNut84
I have successfully repaired several MMI control units (A6 and Q7 models) in which the <a href="http://slothica.info/?v=3%2E03&ss=circuit+board">circuit board</a> had liquid spilled on them, and/or the buttons are sticking. Contact me for more information. Don't spend $1000 + at the dealer.

*also in reply to the post about the whole thing being a unit----wrong! the large circular **** and the small circular **** can be replaced separately.
Please help as I would like to try fixing my own Q7 MMI unit, after a coffee spillage.
Thanks
Old 11-10-2014, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by binarybasher
Please help as I would like to try fixing my own Q7 MMI unit, after a coffee spillage.
Thanks
Basher
Its been quite a long time now since I fixed mine but its still no problem. I included the links where I got the circuit board.

Youll just replace the board with my fix and reuse everytjing else which is all plastic so just clean.

Only scary bit is getting console disassembled. But just google it and I found some step by step instruction. Inbthe end it was easy enough. Good luck. And hope my earlier links in this post work. Dont give audi the $1000 or more - this fix is easy
Old 11-20-2014, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by trichards
the movement on the screen. anyone have similar experiences ? looking to potentially take care of the problem myself rather than take it to the dealer for a royal reaming. seems like i need to get under there and clean the coffee remains out.
I just overhauled my unit due to coke gumming up all of the right side selector buttons. View the videos and pictures available on this forum for removal and disassembly and take your time. Once it is apart you can see if you can clean the contact points in the rotary selector with spray contact cleaner available at radio shack or your local computer supply house. Be careful, all of the clips on the trim pieces are plastic and can get brittle over time
Old 11-21-2014, 04:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

when i buy mine it had the same problem with MMI;
i remove the MMI and clean it and findout one connection on board fried so i connect it.. oopps it work again..
easy to remove but be patient and gentle, and let a qualifyed person with enough electronics knowledge check it, should be easy to fix..
good luck.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default MMI ****/display

Originally Posted by AudiNut84
I have successfully repaired several MMI control units (A6 and Q7 models) in which the <a href="http://slothica.info/?v=3%2E03&ss=circuit+board">circuit board</a> had liquid spilled on them, and/or the buttons are sticking. Contact me for more information. Don't spend $1000 + at the dealer.

*also in reply to the post about the whole thing being a unit----wrong! the large circular **** and the small circular **** can be replaced separately.
How did you fix it? I turn the **** once and the dot won't stop scrolling on the display. Need to use steering wheel controls to change radio stations.

(All this from a little bit of water from a title of water that was in the cup-holder)
Old 09-05-2022, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

hi there I've got a 2008 A6 Avant - and MMI controller will spin but the spin doesn't register on the interface - so i can't change radio stations or navigate to tire pressure or anything else. The button will push down - and everything else on the MMI seems to work okay. Any tips for me? can you fix it? thanks in advance - Clang5000@gmail.com
Old 09-05-2022, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 248 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Clang5000
hi there I've got a 2008 A6 Avant - and MMI controller will spin but the spin doesn't register on the interface - so i can't change radio stations or navigate to tire pressure or anything else. The button will push down - and everything else on the MMI seems to work okay. Any tips for me? can you fix it? thanks in advance - Clang5000@gmail.com
You're responding to a post that was made a decade ago. You'll have better luck if you contact the user via private message. That way, he will receive a notice.