Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Wifey wants a Q7 - any issues I should be aware of?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Wifey wants a Q7 - any issues I should be aware of?

Wifey's been bugging me to replace her 2005 A6 3.2 Quattro and she's got her sites on this 2014 Q7. Are there any specific issues or concerns I should be worried about with this vehicle? The price seems reasonable and the car looks pretty clean. I'd like to have a little more background info before I drive an hour to the dealership to check it out. My daughter has a 2013 A7 with the 3.0T so I'm already a little familiar with the engine.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

x

Last edited by McRockFish; 02-20-2018 at 03:45 AM.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by McRockFish
x
????
Old 02-20-2018, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Answer: Yes, going to cost you 4 times of what her current motor is valued + expensive repairs. Thank me later
Old 02-20-2018, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife has loved her 2014 Q7, in spite of the emissions issue. However, we just had an issue with the driver's side airbag. The light has come on and the dealer here in Grapevine Texas has said that there is an impedance issue in the circuitry and that it needs to be replaced. Guess what. It's not under warranty.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Default sounds more like a bad dealer issue to me...

click here....it could be an airbag issue
https://www.nhtsa.gov/recall-spotlight/takata-air-bags

Originally Posted by lriley
My wife has loved her 2014 Q7, in spite of the emissions issue. However, we just had an issue with the driver's side airbag. The light has come on and the dealer here in Grapevine Texas has said that there is an impedance issue in the circuitry and that it needs to be replaced. Guess what. It's not under warranty.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by captain_video
Wifey's been bugging me to replace her 2005 A6 3.2 Quattro and she's got her sites on this 2014 Q7. Are there any specific issues or concerns I should be worried about with this vehicle? The price seems reasonable and the car looks pretty clean. I'd like to have a little more background info before I drive an hour to the dealership to check it out. My daughter has a 2013 A7 with the 3.0T so I'm already a little familiar with the engine.
Sounds like a good plan to me, the 3.0T is a great engine and I'll be posting pics of my new Q7 soon on a separate thread...as you can see I too have C6 4.2 If you're in the Seattle area LMK and I've got a VCDS to scan it, if needed.
Old 02-21-2018, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by raj99
Sounds like a good plan to me, the 3.0T is a great engine and I'll be posting pics of my new Q7 soon on a separate thread...as you can see I too have C6 4.2 If you're in the Seattle area LMK and I've got a VCDS to scan it, if needed.
I'm on the opposite side of the country, but thanks for the offer. I also have a VCDS. I've been maintaining VWs and Audis that we've owned for the past 17 years so it was a worthwhile investment.
Old 02-21-2018, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by nizzex

Answer: Yes, going to cost you 4 times of what her current motor is valued + expensive repairs. Thank me later
My cars only see the inside of a dealership while they're still under warranty. I've been working on Audis and VWs for over 17 years and have saved myself thousands by doing the work myself. I was asking about specific issues with the car that I should be aware of so I can perform the proper maintenance to head them off before they occur. Any German luxury car will cost you a bundle to maintain if you take it to a stealership. Audis have always been notorious for electronic gizmos failing and costing a lot to replace. The more complex the vehicle, the more likely things are to break. It's been my experience that most of them don't affect the driveability of the car and it will function just fine when certain ones fail. I've never owned an Audi or VW that didn't have the ABS control unit fail at some point. I have a 2014 A4 and the previous models had serious oil consumption issues. These are the type of things I need to know about. Just telling me the car is expensive to maintain isn't much help and not really news to anyone.
The following users liked this post:
JonnyGAudi (01-03-2021)
Old 02-21-2018, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 565 Likes on 447 Posts

Sunroof drains were engineered by a mentally deficient primate, they can leak and ruin electronics packages in both the front (behind dash) or back (spare tire area).. check for water damage in both areas..

MMI Interface and rear Climatronic interfaces are in locations that are susceptible to drink spillage

Passenger side wiper blade may want to separate its self from the vehicle one day with no warning.

Keyless door handles can flake out, killing batteries and requiring whole new handles to be painted and installed.

Speaking of battery, its located under drivers seat and things start acting wonky with a failing battery long before it wont even start... Lift gate wont open/close, Driver Assist features might error out, etc.. Replacing it is not difficult but you need a set of tripple squares to unbolt the seat, also needs a VCDS to reset the battery management system.. if you wrench of VW/Audi's enough you should already have these..

If you want to tow with it make sure it has full trailer wiring already installed, lots of em out there with hitches put on only for bike racks.. and getting the trailer module isint cheap.. (I made dealer buy me one after I told em I needed to tow before flying out to accept delivery)

Not sure bout the 3.0T its self.. seems like a solid engine from what I've seen..

Most of the maintenance costs will go into Tires and Brakes, the bigger the wheels it has the more expensive they are.. If you get 20k out of a set your doing great (12k-15k is not unheard of), 18-19in wheels are far more comfortable and cheaper to operate than 20-21in wheels, but not as stylish.. if keeping costs low is important, put on smaller wheels with actual light truck rated tires.. also it seems anything but OEM rotors is a waste of money, you can play with the pad compounds if you like but dont cheap out on rotors.

Last edited by dreadlocks; 02-21-2018 at 10:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Wifey wants a Q7 - any issues I should be aware of?