Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Would you hold out for Adaptive Suspension?

Old 01-27-2019, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Would you hold out for Adaptive Suspension?

So I am looking to purchase a 2013-2015 Q7 TDI. I found a really nice local one, no accidents, one owner, just had the diselgate fix, 75k KMS. Its white on black, S-Line which I wanted.

It has all the features other than the Adaptive Suspension and 21" Wheels (probably a good thing as tires are $ for those). I did want one with adaptive suspension as I like the look of having it lowered. Is it worth holding out and hoping one comes along? I live in a smaller city and I've had my eyes out for a year now and this is the best one that came along. But I do have a feeling the dieselgate was holding them up, from popping up for sale.

I did some quick searches here, and it seems those who had air in previous audis, then moved to one without really missed it. For what its worth, I plan to keep this car for about 8-10 years.

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-28-2019, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts

I think the adaptive suspension is awesome. I moved from a Touareg skipping the new T3's, specifically because they didn't have the air suspension option here in the US anymore. You can downsize the 21" wheels, but adding air, is a little bit more of a build.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah adding air I would not want to do, and I also wouldn't want to waste my money on coilovers. The big question is the adaptive suspension worth passing up a great car hoping one comes along.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hell to the no.

Seriously.

Air suspension struts ALWAYS go bad. On EVERY German car.

I'm so glad that my Premium Plus doesnt have em.
Old 01-29-2019, 03:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

YES! I have AAS and love it!
Thank God I chose this route, as I hauled my trailer across the USA and it was overloaded, air compensated perfectly, level!
When I released the trailer it appeared the rear had an 8" lift for a few moments.
I have not had any trouble and pray I don't.
I do live in mild temp and believe the cold has a lot to do with failures due to water in lines.
Being able to settle it down for highway and lift it up for traversing off road terrain, I think is super kool, although I don't go off road hardly at all.
Old 01-29-2019, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts

The air suspension on the Q7 isn't like every air suspension on any other car. The only systems that compare would be the Touareg, Q7, Cayenne, and the Bentley Bentayga. (They all use the exact same components)

Q7 air 'bag' (7L8616040H) https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...ht/7l8616040h/

BMW air 'spring' (37107850225) https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-bmw-parts/rear-air-spring/37126790083/

Take a look at those and tell me which looks like they could take a beating? The system in the Q7 doesn't fail like the Allroad does, nor do the air bags look the same.

Audi Allroad (4Z7616051D) https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...ch/4z7616051d/
Old 01-29-2019, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Do you tow? If so, the yes hold out for the air suspension. I have had both and far prefer the air suspension; especially when towing.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went from a C5 Allroad to the Q7 and specifically avoided the air suspension because of all the hassle I had with the system on the Allroad, especially in subzero temperatures but if it is indeed more reliable it may be worth it. When it was working properly, the air suspension was great but when it wasn't the car would be on the bump stops.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 565 Likes on 447 Posts

dunno if I can go back to a vehicle w/out Air Suspension after this, works great and with the flip of a button the Q7 goes from handling like a car to handling like a truck.. never had any troubles and I really dont expect any... this is not an allroad suspension by any stretch.

Finding one w/Air Suspension, now that was a huge ordeal.. hadda put deposit down w/out seeing it, fly and drive it home.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Built4Sin I admit the air suspension does look beefy and I've heard good things.

I do not tow, in the future, I might tow once per season for a max of a 4-hour trip. To be honest the only reason I wanted it was the cool factor in terms of looks and handling benefits when on windy roads.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Would you hold out for Adaptive Suspension?