AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q7 MK 1 Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mk-1-discussion-112/)
-   -   2013 Q7 TDI High pressure fuel pump failure (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mk-1-discussion-112/2013-q7-tdi-high-pressure-fuel-pump-failure-2995137/)

jlag19 04-29-2020 04:55 PM

2013 Q7 TDI High pressure fuel pump failure

I just got a call from the Audi dealership. Says my high pressure fuel pump on my 2013 Q7 TDI failed and that many pieces of metal from the pump went into the fuel system. Wants $9,000 (US) to fix it! It is 3000 miles out of warranty. Any advice? I can't believe that Audi would create a part that causes such catastrophic damage when it breaks. Unbelievable.

dreadlocks 04-29-2020 08:58 PM

its covered by the extended emissions warranty, are you over 120k miles? or 48k miles since it was fixed if you run your VIN through: https://www.audidiesellookup.com/ it will tell you millage it was fixed.

Audi didnt create the part, Bosch supplied it and its been grenading diesels of all makes and models across the board.. just google CP4 HPFP Failure.

jlag19 04-30-2020 06:42 AM

Thank you for the feedback, Dreadlocks. My Q7 is about 3000 miles outside of the diesel emissions warranty, unfortunately. I am appalled at Audi for allowing this part to exist as an IED waiting to go off on whoever owns the vehicle at the time as I had more faith in Audi's engineering (compared to Merc, BMW). With these diesels running all over Europe (I'm in Louisiana), this has to be happening in huge numbers. No recall on this part??
I will have to figure out something. I don't know if I can use this as a negotiating point to get into a new Audi Q7 with the dealership. Would the current generation have this issue? Do I now just look at Audi's as I have BMW and Merc: sell them before getting out of warranty?

dreadlocks 04-30-2020 07:41 AM

I mean it dont feel like it from your perspective but the failures are under 1%, you just lost the lottery.. and failures mostly related to either bad fuel or wrong stuff in fuel tank, in Europe they have higher quality diesel.. so HPFP failures are almost unheard of over there.. There's nothing to recall, you go get another HPFP from Bosch and it could explode too.. they extended all the warranties to 120k miles before even #dieselgate to mitigate it: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...58792-7541.pdf

The Bosh CP3 was a reliable tank that never gave anyone grief, the Bosh CP4 has a few % failures after 100's of thousands of miles after running bad fuel.. nobody had any reason to think the CP4 was gonna be a grenade the way it is until everyone was well into production, then Bosch revised the pump like a million times trying to make it more reliable.. yours is one of the few 3.0L 2013+ I've heard of having a failure, most of em come from earlier model years..

If dealer wont fix it, get it the **** out of there and go find a trusted TDI mechanic off Fred's TDI Club.. they will do the job for a fraction of what Audi's gonna charge you..

I fear no Audi w/out warranty, but thats because I dont pay dealer to do anything.. I do my research, I've known about the potential for a HPFP failure before I purchased.. I'm prepared to deal with it, and do my best to mitigate it.. I only buy fuel from high turn over truck stops, and not the neighborhood station that takes months to empty its diesel tank.. I treat the fuel system regularly, use additives on really long trips, and when I start approaching high millage I'll just replace the HPFP pre-emptively just like a water pump.. a cheap lil water pump failure can cause just as much damage to your wallet, but you still buy cars with water pumps right?

If you just wanna buy a car and drive it with your head in the sand oblivious to potential mechanical time bombs, then yeah you'd be pretty well served by just possessing vehicles that are under warranty.

Dudeness30 04-30-2020 12:59 PM

Find a mechanic not from Audi to get the repair. Sucks that your out of warranty. I like to change the filter more often then needed because I never want to starve the CP4 pump. Or maybe it has to do with the lack of a water separator or its just random failures of the pump. Do lots of searching to find a decent mechanic who can help you and read lots of info you find around here to be as informed as possible.

KevinGary 04-30-2020 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by jlag19 (Post 25449787)
I just got a call from the Audi dealership. Says my high pressure fuel pump on my 2013 Q7 TDI failed and that many pieces of metal from the pump went into the fuel system. Wants $9,000 (US) to fix it! It is 3000 miles out of warranty. Any advice? I can't believe that Audi would create a part that causes such catastrophic damage when it breaks. Unbelievable.

I also ave a TDi. How many miles did you have when the fuel pump failed?

dreadlocks 04-30-2020 01:55 PM

The OEM filter separates 99% of water, supposedly.. but the thing is what happens when its capacity to hold water is exceeded.. changing it on time is critical, doing it early is rather wise.

The cheap and dirty fix for this failure is go to an indy mechanic, have em install a 2micron aftermarket filter before the HPFP, replace the HPFP and the fuel lines to the injectors, and new injectors.. then pray to god that 2 filter collects all the metal in the tank before it eats up another set of injectors.. If I was planning on getting rid of the vehicle shortly after fixing it, this is probably the route I'd take.. but if I was keeping it, I'd find a donor vehicle in a scrap yard and get the tanks, injectors and fuel lines off it and buy a brand new HPFP.

007_e350 05-02-2020 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by dreadlocks (Post 25449967)
I mean it dont feel like it from your perspective but the failures are under 1%, you just lost the lottery.. and failures mostly related to either bad fuel or wrong stuff in fuel tank, in Europe they have higher quality diesel.. so HPFP failures are almost unheard of over there.. There's nothing to recall, you go get another HPFP from Bosch and it could explode too.. they extended all the warranties to 120k miles before even #dieselgate to mitigate it: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...58792-7541.pdf

The Bosh CP3 was a reliable tank that never gave anyone grief, the Bosh CP4 has a few % failures after 100's of thousands of miles after running bad fuel.. nobody had any reason to think the CP4 was gonna be a grenade the way it is until everyone was well into production, then Bosch revised the pump like a million times trying to make it more reliable.. yours is one of the few 3.0L 2013+ I've heard of having a failure, most of em come from earlier model years..

If dealer wont fix it, get it the **** out of there and go find a trusted TDI mechanic off Fred's TDI Club.. they will do the job for a fraction of what Audi's gonna charge you..

I fear no Audi w/out warranty, but thats because I dont pay dealer to do anything.. I do my research, I've known about the potential for a HPFP failure before I purchased.. I'm prepared to deal with it, and do my best to mitigate it.. I only buy fuel from high turn over truck stops, and not the neighborhood station that takes months to empty its diesel tank.. I treat the fuel system regularly, use additives on really long trips, and when I start approaching high millage I'll just replace the HPFP pre-emptively just like a water pump.. a cheap lil water pump failure can cause just as much damage to your wallet, but you still buy cars with water pumps right?

If you just wanna buy a car and drive it with your head in the sand oblivious to potential mechanical time bombs, then yeah you'd be pretty well served by just possessing vehicles that are under warranty.

i understand the pressure would be significantly different but is it a possibility to swap to older CP3 pump since it’s proven reliability ? I doubt it but figured I’d ask..

dreadlocks 05-02-2020 06:17 PM

I see no way w/Gen2 to do a CP3 retrofit.. Gen1's it may be possible, darkside has some conversion kits.. the EGR's gotta go and of course it needs to be tuned for the new flow rates.

https://www.darksidedevelopments.co....l-engines.html

Ive got a plan to bulletproof the Gen2 HPFP but the EGR's gotta go and your gonna need a guy who can weld aluminum.

Robby Sidhu 01-28-2021 05:44 AM

Q7 High pressure fuel pump failure

Originally Posted by jlag19 (Post 25449787)

Hi Jlag!
I am experiencing exactly the same problem with my Q7. The car is at the dealership and received call this mornings that high pressure fuel pump on my Q7 TDI failed and that many pieces of metal from the pump went into the fuel system! dealership is asking for $22,000 (AUD, I am in Australia) to fix the problem!!. Is unbelievable and not even worth spending that much money on that car anyway!
I was wondering if you were able to get your car fixed and did it cost $9000 or your were able to find a reasonable mechanic? what was the problem and how it was fixed.
Please assist if you can or if anyone had the same problem and was able to get it fixed at reasonable cost.
Cheers