AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q7 MK 1 Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mk-1-discussion-112/)
-   -   Annoying rattles/squeaking on the Q7 (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mk-1-discussion-112/annoying-rattles-squeaking-q7-2779678/)

Niketalk1 04-04-2010 07:10 PM

Annoying rattles/squeaking on the Q7

As owners are well aware of, our Q7s rattle/squeaks always come up as a pet peeve. I think by starting a new thread and listing where it comes from and if the dealership is able to accurately fix, we would help each other out.

Pano sunroof: actually a TSB. The dealers would know about it.

Second row seats: latch problem? I no longer have the squeaks when I moved my right sided passenger seat all the way back.

Instrument panel: now this is new to me, came up about 2 weeks ago (about 14k on my 2009 3.6L). It is a clicking from the odometer area, anyone else have this issue? Also, on a hot day when I start the car, the instrument panel makes a loud popping noise (it was so loud one time it startled me), I thought this is maybe the plastic expanding due to the deadly summer heat of Texas.

Anyone else experience this? Also, please post your squeaks/rattles/clicks.

Thanks!

Railflyer 04-05-2010 06:25 AM

Second row seat: A metallic rattle that sounds like it is coming from underneath the bottom of the left seat base. Also a rattle or sympathetic vibration of the 60% seat back. If I fold down the middle 20% section it goes away. I have wrapped the seat latch stud but it still does it.

I'm very anxious to find these, they come and go so it is frustrating.

berns_man 04-05-2010 03:54 PM

I have a rattle coming from the back part of the sunroof. I took it to the dealer and they said that they would have to take off the entire roof liner to get to the problem. I am not sure if I want the, to do that or just live with the rattle.

My car does not rave a third row but there was a rattle coming from the second row. It was easily fixed with a little electrical tape on the latch.

Jusforfun 04-06-2010 04:25 AM

Sunroof or Moonroof TSB. You will love this.
https://forums.audiworld.com/attachm...1&d=1266000638

SteelWarHorse3.0TDi 04-06-2010 06:55 AM

Front dash, passenger side, where metal grill meets A-pillar - made an annoying and very loud "click" on the slightest road bump or even undulation. This was fixed by whacking the offending area of the grill with my shoe heel (cushoned with a dusting rag). Never came back.

:-)

StFrancis 04-07-2010 07:36 AM

I have a buzz coming from the passenger door panel when playing any kind of music at a reasonable volume. The local dealer here (J.E. Marietta) tried to correct the problem to no avail. Apparently they placed foam to fix it. I can make it stop by pushing at an exact place, which is where the faux wood meets the panel. I have now have to reduce the amount of bass to make it tolerable.

The 2nd squeak is the rear passenger side window. When I roll it down it lets out a loud squeak. It looks like it's getting stuck on the top part. We rarely open it anyway.
Otherwise we still love the beast.

AutoUnionQ7 04-07-2010 03:13 PM

Holy crap... I don't want the morons @ my local dealer assembling the Q7 back together

Arrie 04-07-2010 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by StFrancis (Post 23954804)
I have a buzz coming from the passenger door panel when playing any kind of music at a reasonable volume. The local dealer here (J.E. Marietta) tried to correct the problem to no avail. Apparently they placed foam to fix it. I can make it stop by pushing at an exact place, which is where the faux wood meets the panel. I have now have to reduce the amount of bass to make it tolerable.

The 2nd squeak is the rear passenger side window. When I roll it down it lets out a loud squeak. It looks like it's getting stuck on the top part. We rarely open it anyway.
Otherwise we still love the beast.

I also had the passanger door panel rattle but mine was only with loud base. A good test song is Mariah Carey's "Touch My Body" but any music with good base would rattle the door panel and yes, I could stop it also by pressin at the fake wood at end of it.

I also told my dealer about it but they did nothing to fix it. Their comment was that perhaps they need to replace the plastic "hooks" that hold door panel in place. Im my opinion this would not fix anything.

So, I fixed it myself.

First of all make sure the air vent(if you have one running thru the door) is in place properly. Mine was not and it was moving kind of freely but pushing it in did not fix the noise. Perhaps some of it but not sure if any.

For troubleshooting I played my "test music" loud while feeling the door panel edge on the lock side of door. Pressing it against the door frame let me to a spot where just slightly pressin it the resonance noise stopped. This spot also felt vibrating the most and this spot in my car is just above the two upper screws that hold the door lock in place. It could be different location in different cars.

I took 2 inch long piece of 1/16" diameter O-ring rubber seal material and stuck it between the door panel and door frame in the spot that I had found. I used my soft plastic comb as a tool helping to get rubber in place.

Above completely fixed the rattle in the door, rattle, which makes you crazy while driving long distance in a car which should never have this kind of a flaw.

Arrie

98a6quattro 04-07-2010 05:13 PM

Audi interiors are great but they have more rattles than Mercedes. My wife drove her C class to 115k miles, constantly hitting potholes and there was never a rattle or a sqeek. The Q ion the other hand has minor rattles here and there

Niketalk1 04-07-2010 09:47 PM

Thanks for all the input and DIYs.
The thing that bothers me the most has got to be the second row rattle.
I took it to the dealership not too long ago to have it fixed, and I quote the guy "if you just scoot your seat back it will stop making that noise."

I believe that I paid for a luxury vehicle, and a luxury vehicle should not have to resort to that type of fix it method imo.

pchansen 04-07-2010 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Jusforfun (Post 23954158)

Ironically, thats my Q and after major surgery, not a peep! Fantastic service from dealer!

bluestraveller 04-08-2010 10:01 AM

I have periodic rattles from the tailgate after the dealer "fixed" my radio. I've taken it in once but they have not been able to address it.

There's also periodic rattles from the middle seat like some of the other posts say. In my Q the middle seats are pushed all the way back but that still does not help. What helps is when someone sits on the seat...which is rare.

CRB 04-08-2010 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Jusforfun (Post 23954158)

The dealerships service departments ought to keep a hard copy of the photograph and show it to the people coming in for the sunroof TSB. It might give them pause.

Jusforfun 04-09-2010 05:30 AM

Good to hear. My apologies for oversight in not giving you credit for your cool photo.
Looking at it I have mental image of a man holding up that elusive coin saying "Gotcha"

Link to original thread

berns_man 04-09-2010 11:08 AM

I am learning to live with the rattle from the sunroof very quickly after seeing that picture!!

Jusforfun 04-09-2010 04:01 PM

The rattle is an entirely different issue, besides your car was built after the updated sunroof came out.

iconoclast 08-04-2011 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by 98a6quattro (Post 23955186)
Audi interiors are great but they have more rattles than Mercedes. My wife drove her C class to 115k miles, constantly hitting potholes and there was never a rattle or a sqeek. The Q ion the other hand has minor rattles here and there

i am guessing the merc was a pre-2001 c-class?

Sherblatz 08-05-2011 06:34 AM

After seeing that photo, I am completely astounded they did not introduce a dozen new rattles. We had ours in for the sunroof TSB a few years back. Not sure I would have had it done if I had seen the photo, but it did fix the rattle issue.

Whatever they do, it works.

Jimbo

Neil123 09-06-2011 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Railflyer (Post 23953598)
Second row seat: A metallic rattle that sounds like it is coming from underneath the bottom of the left seat base. Also a rattle or sympathetic vibration of the 60% seat back. If I fold down the middle 20% section it goes away. I have wrapped the seat latch stud but it still does it.

I'm very anxious to find these, they come and go so it is frustrating.

Any updates on this. My second row which is a captains chair seat squeaks and rattles when no one is sitting. The squeaks/rattles disappears when someone is sitting.
Any help would be appreciated as the squeaks/rattles are very annoying.
Thanks

OlyS4 09-07-2011 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Jusforfun (Post 23956316)
The rattle is an entirely different issue, besides your car was built after the updated sunroof came out.

What model year has the updated sunroof, and what did they change about the design?

Thanks!

RAD2 09-08-2011 03:48 AM

sunroof leak

Originally Posted by CRB (Post 23955541)
The dealerships service departments ought to keep a hard copy of the photograph and show it to the people coming in for the sunroof TSB. It might give them pause.

Trust me, dealing with my Q7 sunroof leaks, after I warned my dealer way before it happened and while my car was under warranty, is a real nightmare. I would have preferred my dealer taking my Q for a real fix at that time.

tomkoroluk 02-15-2012 05:08 PM

How can I tell if I have the updated sunroof in my 2007 Q7?

Magnutz25 09-22-2012 06:18 AM

I have all these random noises coming from the inside of my Q7. The armrests creaks every time i lean on it. There is a knocking in the rear of the car when i turn, there is a chirping noise coming from the passenger side dashboard, and the adjustable seatbelt piece on the drivers side next to my ear creaks every time i move.

Any suggestions?

I dont understand why the interior makes so much noise!!!!!!

q7mofo 09-23-2012 05:16 PM

Here is my list....
2008 S-Line, Air sus, 4.2

1) Rear seats rattle and shake, drives me bonkers when i look in the mirror and see the headrests shake.

2) Thump under driver side, passenger floor area when backing up.

3) Auto trunk slams shut

4) Whomp whomp whomp tire sound around 90kmh. I have brand new tires and road balanced with reports.

Magnutz25 09-24-2012 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by q7mofo (Post 24351421)
Here is my list....
2008 S-Line, Air sus, 4.2

1) Rear seats rattle and shake, drives me bonkers when i look in the mirror and see the headrests shake.

2) Thump under driver side, passenger floor area when backing up.

3) Auto trunk slams shut

4) Whomp whomp whomp tire sound around 90kmh. I have brand new tires and road balanced with reports.

At least I'm not the only one. As for the tires, maybe it's the brand? Some just get louder when you stop or go fast.....

Any solutions to the other stuff?

q7mofo 09-24-2012 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Magnutz25 (Post 24351793)

Any solutions to the other stuff?

Nothing yet, although I saw TSB on here last night showing the front drive shafts could have been installed backwards and could cause noise. Also the same drive shaft could also be out of balance. Certainly some new things to check out.

Anyone else have the slamming tail gate?
Maybe my struts are blown.

clydedog 10-25-2013 05:25 AM

Rattle Fix?

Has anyone came up with a fix for the rattling in the rear seat / door panels for the Q7? I have a 2007 Q7 and i noticed the rear headrests rattle over any type of bump and sometimes hear a clunk in the rear.. Any way to fix the rear headrest rattle? I tried the tape over the latch that splits the second row seats but that doesn't seem to be the noise.

So annoying. I had a Volvo XC90 and never hear any of this..

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I hate the rattles!

Jack Duckworth 04-13-2014 11:35 AM

Rear seat rattle fix - sort of!

I have the usual rattle beneath the left hand side of the second row of seats.

It has been driving me crackers for three years.

Had a brainwave yesterday which has stopped the rattle.

I used a deflated small soccer ball and slid it out of sight under the rear of the left hand side of the left hand seat.

I then inflated the ball to give gentle upward pressure on the seat above.

I made sure the ball was under the seat chassis and not under the springs, so the comfort of the seat is unaffected.

No more rattle.

Hope this helps.

clydedog 04-14-2014 04:45 AM

Awesome... I may need to try that.. i recently played around with it for a while... I noticed it is the catch latch in the rails that has some play. So i move the seats forward and took a pieces of paper and made a thin cigarette size thing wrapped with electrical tape and put in in the latch, but made sure it was in there securely.. then slid the seat back and walah! The small play that was there creating the rattle was gone! That also stops the headrest rattle as it takes the little movement out of the seats. I did it on both sides..

randylscott 10-17-2014 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by clydedog (Post 24559765)
Awesome... I may need to try that.. i recently played around with it for a while... I noticed it is the catch latch in the rails that has some play. So i move the seats forward and took a pieces of paper and made a thin cigarette size thing wrapped with electrical tape and put in in the latch, but made sure it was in there securely.. then slid the seat back and walah! The small play that was there creating the rattle was gone! That also stops the headrest rattle as it takes the little movement out of the seats. I did it on both sides..

I tried the blow up soccer ball, but that prevents moving the seat forward and back once done. Love the idea though. Any way you could post a picture of your solution here with the cigarette thing? The rattle is still driving me nuts. Thanks.

aqaqaq123 10-18-2014 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Magnutz25 (Post 24350979)
I have all these random noises coming from the inside of my Q7. The armrests creaks every time i lean on it. There is a knocking in the rear of the car when i turn, there is a chirping noise coming from the passenger side dashboard, and the adjustable seatbelt piece on the drivers side next to my ear creaks every time i move.

Any suggestions?

I dont understand why the interior makes so much noise!!!!!!

Both of my q7s have been way too rattly for the price range and i.m.o. Audi does way too little to design these issues out between model years.

The chirping noise in the dashboard is the AC fan (located right above the glove box). When i had mine replaced, i was told it was a simple swap.