AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q7 MK 1 Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mk-1-discussion-112/)
-   -   God I Hate being impulsive!! ;) (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mk-1-discussion-112/god-i-hate-being-impulsive-%3B-2840906/)

pchansen 01-18-2013 06:07 AM

God I Hate being impulsive!! ;)

I picked up a nail in one of my tires in my 2007 Q7 4.2 and drove it to my local dealer to have it removed and the tire patched. Four hours later I drove home in a 2011 Q7 TDI Prestige with 33,000 miles on it! Totally unprepared, no research- nothing! I just took a walk around the lot killing time waiting for the tire to get fixed. Wow!

They took the 2007 in on trade and extended the warranty (aftermarket, not Audi) to 100K and basically added 2 years to my payments. Sadly, I'm not in the "Let me write you a check" crowd just yet.

My (somewhat flawed) logic was this: Our '07 was obviously an early production model and suffered from a lot of first year reliability issues. Also, I had just backed into a trailer hitch and put a nice gash into the rear bumper as well. Mainly, our '07 was approaching 90,000 miles and our warranty was quickly running out. Don't even get me started on the 4.2's gas millage. My only regret is that I really miss the color of the '07. I believe it was called Nordic Blue. Absolutely beautiful. The '11 is silver and is a boring color in my very humble opinion. Oh well.

There really is quite an amazing difference between the two cars. The '11 with it's diesel engine and 8-speed transmission is the definition of smooth! It's much more refined in many ways. We loved our old Q7 and is really the main reason we traded. Apparently we will be enjoying Q7's for years to come.

Bklyn_Quattro 01-18-2013 10:47 AM

Congrats on the new addition! Impulsive? I'd call it being realistic. Warranty expiring shortly on a 6 year old car, plus all the updates and extras you now have. Enjoy it!

Jusforfun 01-18-2013 03:09 PM

Congrats, welcome to the TDI club. I would love to have that transmission. I thought your 2007 was Condor Grey. The Blues were Cobalt or Mugello.

PARealtor 01-18-2013 05:56 PM

impulsive would be going in for service on your Q7 and walking out with a R8. Enjoy it either way

J. Patterson 01-18-2013 06:51 PM

2011 TDI Prestige----- Nice! It took me MONTHS to find one. Three months in and we LOVE it! Enjoy yours. It really sounds like you just made a wise decision "quickly" .

pchansen 01-19-2013 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Jusforfun (Post 24396876)
Congrats, welcome to the TDI club. I would love to have that transmission. I thought your 2007 was Condor Grey. The Blues were Cobalt or Mugello.

Condor Grey it is (was)!
Thanks for all the responses. It was a lot of money but obviously we love the Q7. I did a bit of research and the VW dealership that I bought this car through said they had completed the 35K service but couldn't produce any paperwork to back up that claim. After a few phone calls, they admitted that they are responsible for that service (duh) and it goes in on Wednesday. I'm glad I checked because the new service schedule calls for a transmission fluid change at 35K.

normp 01-19-2013 09:47 AM

35K on a TDI, that's not even broken in yet- congratulations!!

sashir 01-19-2013 04:11 PM

Congrats!

Nice! Congratulations!
I will be picking up my 2013 Q7 TDI Premium plus tomorrow from the dealer! Can't wait to get behind the wheel...

Originally Posted by pchansen (Post 24396707)
I picked up a nail in one of my tires in my 2007 Q7 4.2 and drove it to my local dealer to have it removed and the tire patched. Four hours later I drove home in a 2011 Q7 TDI Prestige with 33,000 miles on it! Totally unprepared, no research- nothing! I just took a walk around the lot killing time waiting for the tire to get fixed. Wow!

They took the 2007 in on trade and extended the warranty (aftermarket, not Audi) to 100K and basically added 2 years to my payments. Sadly, I'm not in the "Let me write you a check" crowd just yet.

My (somewhat flawed) logic was this: Our '07 was obviously an early production model and suffered from a lot of first year reliability issues. Also, I had just backed into a trailer hitch and put a nice gash into the rear bumper as well. Mainly, our '07 was approaching 90,000 miles and our warranty was quickly running out. Don't even get me started on the 4.2's gas millage. My only regret is that I really miss the color of the '07. I believe it was called Nordic Blue. Absolutely beautiful. The '11 is silver and is a boring color in my very humble opinion. Oh well.

There really is quite an amazing difference between the two cars. The '11 with it's diesel engine and 8-speed transmission is the definition of smooth! It's much more refined in many ways. We loved our old Q7 and is really the main reason we traded. Apparently we will be enjoying Q7's for years to come.

chickdr 01-21-2013 03:49 PM

I saw this thread and brought it up to the wife. We went to our dealer today and test drove a 2011 TDI Prestige. She loved it. Just need to find a black on black one now. She is torn about it as she loves her 07, but knows it is probably a good idea to get a newer one. At least we have a while as the car is the same through 2013 and we will have lot of choices if we wait as when the new version comes out I am sure many will upgrade and the market will improve.

pchansen 01-21-2013 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by chickdr (Post 24398102)
I saw this thread and brought it up to the wife. We went to our dealer today and test drove a 2011 TDI Prestige. She loved it. Just need to find a black on black one now. She is torn about it as she loves her 07, but knows it is probably a good idea to get a newer one. At least we have a while as the car is the same through 2013 and we will have lot of choices if we wait as when the new version comes out I am sure many will upgrade and the market will improve.

Well, my wife won't let me drive the '11. She loves it that much! That was never a problem with the '07. I truly can't believe the level of refinement on the '11. The MMI and Nav come to mind and of course going from a gasser and six speed to the TDI and eight speed- well, there is no comparison. I towed my utility trailer today and man I love that torque. I am definitely a diesel convert. My average MPG of 23.6 in mixed driving is certainly a plus too.