AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q7 MK 1 Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mk-1-discussion-112/)
-   -   Sirius Radio - Linking? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mk-1-discussion-112/sirius-radio-linking-2816349/)

eldoj 11-09-2011 10:32 AM

Sirius Radio - Linking?

I finally signed up for Sirius radio through my '07 Q7. When listening, I get silence with "Linking" displayed on the screen. This happens quite a bit. Is this something that I can correct?
Suggestions?

Thanks

J-o-s-e 11-10-2011 09:50 AM

This happens to me quite often on my Q5. I wonder if it is a problem with the radios themselves.

...Jose

eldoj 11-16-2011 11:49 AM

Is there an antenna that could be damaged?

jestertc 11-17-2011 11:01 AM

maybe.

I would check:

- power harness of the sirus radio box
- antenna harness and connector, fits tight, nothing lose or broken
- antenna cable, broken somewhere, kinks, sharp bends
- all other cables thru the antenna

If this is all ok, the antenna could be broken, or the sirus radio box.

eldoj 11-17-2011 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by jestertc (Post 24225506)
maybe.

I would check:

- power harness of the sirus radio box
- antenna harness and connector, fits tight, nothing lose or broken
- antenna cable, broken somewhere, kinks, sharp bends
- all other cables thru the antenna

If this is all ok, the antenna could be broken, or the sirus radio box.

Where is all of this located?
Thanks

MarkItZero 11-20-2011 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by eldoj (Post 24222069)
When listening, I get silence with "Linking" displayed on the screen. This happens quite a bit.

Like anything satellite based line of sight is critical with satellite radio. If you are driving through garages, heavily wooded areas, roads that are flanked with steep hills/mountains you will notice this. It happens less in metropolitan downtown areas as they have ground repeaters.

chickdr 11-20-2011 07:53 AM

Ours does this infrequently as well. Most of the time it happens while going under highway underpasses and there are certain areas of road in which it repeatedly occurs. I guess there are dead zones just like with cell phones. If yours is doing this all the time there is likely a problem with your car.

eldoj 11-21-2011 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by chickdr (Post 24226654)
Ours does this infrequently as well. Most of the time it happens while going under highway underpasses and there are certain areas of road in which it repeatedly occurs. I guess there are dead zones just like with cell phones. If yours is doing this all the time there is likely a problem with your car.

It happens more times than not in ours. Interstate, downtown, county roads, it doesnt have a preference. I could be sitting at a light in downtown Louisville, and all of sudden its "linking".

audi01a6 11-21-2011 03:19 AM

HEY J,

open the rear lid and on the passage side there is a compartment where the control for the xm unit,we have had Q7 sunroof drains leak water onto the control units,ck to see if u have water damage,should be white strains ther if so,hope that helps,

DAN B.

OR U COULD VAG IT FOR FAULTS,

eldoj 11-21-2011 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by audi01a6 (Post 24226965)
HEY J,

open the rear lid and on the passage side there is a compartment where the control for the xm unit,we have had Q7 sunroof drains leak water onto the control units,ck to see if u have water damage,should be white strains ther if so,hope that helps,

DAN B.

OR U COULD VAG IT FOR FAULTS,

Thanks, I will check it out. I haven't seen any faults recently.