Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

% Off MSRP for 2018 Q7

Old 07-31-2018, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Pirate
i read its 3.99% from audi and anything over is profit for the dealership. i called AFS and confirmed that there is no penalty for paying off the loan early. as soon as i get my 1st free payment from AFS next month, i will refinance with my credit union (offering under 3%). 5% interest is a joke for tier 1 credit applicants. the salesman said to wait 6 months to avoid kickback penalty for the dealership, but there is no way im paying 250 interest for 6 months which will negate the 1st free payment from audi
What is the kickback penalty for the dealership when you refi/pay off early?
What recourse does the dealership have against the buyer for the penalty?
Old 08-01-2018, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kankou
i got a bill that my 1st payment will be made in august. i called AFS and asked 2 questions - will i lose the 1st free payment if i pay it off right after the 1st payment and any penalty. Both answers were No. I will refinance with my credit union

thats assuming what the salesman said is true. the dealership wont say anything when u service ur car. if this happened, ud see threads how a dealership blacklisted ur vin and wont service ur car. u financed ur car with AFS, not the dealership

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...ealry-2887840/
Post #8
"Thanks everyone. I spoke to Audi FS today and loan can be paid off anytime without penalties. The delaer BS'd again about needing to wait 6 months. Will be paying it off by the end of the week."

Last edited by Road Pirate; 08-01-2018 at 05:06 AM.
Old 08-01-2018, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by kankou

the dealer ends up being charged back the incentives that applied to that deal. No recourse to the buyer per say, as there is no prepayment penalty to an end user, but it's a surefire way to burn up any goodwill from the dealer and wreck that relationship (if that sort of thing is important to you)
Old 08-01-2018, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by SCarGuy
the dealer ends up being charged back the incentives that applied to that deal. No recourse to the buyer per say, as there is no prepayment penalty to an end user, but it's a surefire way to burn up any goodwill from the dealer and wreck that relationship (if that sort of thing is important to you)
This always sucks. You either have to keep a bad deal in hope that this will earn you a good will from the dealer, or swap for a better deal but possibly face retaliation from the dealer. That's why dealer/financial backdoor incentive deals are a bad idea for the end customer.
Old 08-01-2018, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by gsobol
This always sucks. You either have to keep a bad deal in hope that this will earn you a good will from the dealer, or swap for a better deal but possibly face retaliation from the dealer. That's why dealer/financial backdoor incentive deals are a bad idea for the end customer.
Well, this stuff is all customer facing - not all incentives are. I'd feel awful if I didn't mention it to a buyer, because at times it can be a lot of money. Ultimately whatever they choose to do is up to them as far as taking advantage of the incentives or simply going with a lower rate/cash. It's their transaction, their car.

The way I personally do it, is simply be upfront with the client. At that point of the transaction, we've established rapport. I completely get that they want the incentive but want to minimize their interest exposure and I can easily show them how to do that. For me, and the dealership as a whole, the incentive does not matter. We still get paid the price agreed to. At least in our geographic area, I do not find such massive interest rate swings, now, between Audi and even credit unions. But that stuff can be very regionally based. Last year, those margins were definitely wider. I have found at least where I am, they have shrunken dramatically
Old 08-01-2018, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SCarGuy
Well, this stuff is all customer facing - not all incentives are. I'd feel awful if I didn't mention it to a buyer, because at times it can be a lot of money. Ultimately whatever they choose to do is up to them as far as taking advantage of the incentives or simply going with a lower rate/cash. It's their transaction, their car.

The way I personally do it, is simply be upfront with the client. At that point of the transaction, we've established rapport. I completely get that they want the incentive but want to minimize their interest exposure and I can easily show them how to do that. For me, and the dealership as a whole, the incentive does not matter. We still get paid the price agreed to. At least in our geographic area, I do not find such massive interest rate swings, now, between Audi and even credit unions. But that stuff can be very regionally based. Last year, those margins were definitely wider. I have found at least where I am, they have shrunken dramatically
The dealer I bought from did not mention anything regarding the incentive and when I asked about the interest rate, the business manager let me know 4.99 was Audi' s rate not theirs and I was welcome to refinance. I felt that it was important to ask these questions--giving the dealer opportunity to provide more competitive rate or ask me to keep for a minimum period ( I might have consider, given the fair deal I got) As it was, they didn't have an issue with me keeping or selling the loan, so I will consider refinancing after a month or two... I am guessing enough people keep the loan at the higher rate to make the incentive overall profitable for Audi. For me, even at ~3%, this will save me a few thousand over course of the loan, which once complete, will make this a successful deal for me with purchase price trade and financing all being competitive and better than I thought I would do walking in a by a bit in each area.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

From Meyecul on another thread: "I discovered this very early on when I for a brief moment considered trading my 17 Q7 for an 18 Q7 simply for color change (had come across a gray w cedar interior that I loved). It's what happens when a $55k car climbs over $80K with options. The most interesting part is at the time the sales mgr sat across from me offering $50k on my pristine $82k car with 12k miles that was only a year old while at the same time would not budge more then 2% of on his. hahah. Funny how all the value in those options remains on the "new sale" yet somehow disappears when one takes delivery. Needless to say he saw my backside rather quick."

So, not everyone is able to get 10-12% off MSRP
Old 08-02-2018, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by McDQ7
From Meyecul on another thread: "I discovered this very early on when I for a brief moment considered trading my 17 Q7 for an 18 Q7 simply for color change (had come across a gray w cedar interior that I loved). It's what happens when a $55k car climbs over $80K with options. The most interesting part is at the time the sales mgr sat across from me offering $50k on my pristine $82k car with 12k miles that was only a year old while at the same time would not budge more then 2% of on his. hahah. Funny how all the value in those options remains on the "new sale" yet somehow disappears when one takes delivery. Needless to say he saw my backside rather quick."

So, not everyone is able to get 10-12% off MSRP
Should be of note that was year ago but also at prob the most pretentious Audi dealership in the US that thinks because they are in one of the most $$ zipcodes that they do not have to discount anything... at least that was the clear impression the sale mgr gave me sitting across his desk. Was pretty funny actually and so cocky, I would never give them my business now,. I have no doubt that if I went to my reg dealer I would have no trouble getting 10%, as they are really great to work with In both sales and service. Lucky I guess that is in So Cal have so many dealers.
Old 08-03-2018, 04:07 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have been actively trying to buy a Q7 for about three months now here in Central Illinois. Area dealers seem keen to want full MSRP minus any program discounts offered by Audi USA (eg no discount from the dealer). My online research suggests there is a built in 7.5% markup between invoice and MSRP. I have been offering them a couple thousand (~+2.75%) over invoice but they seem to prefer no sale vs any discount at all. It is all surprising and frustrating. Where I come from, everyone expected to pay less than MSRP. To demand MSRP was/is a polite way of saying they don't want your business. We own an S3 ('15) and have been very loyal to the local dealers service department. The service department is outstanding.
Old 08-03-2018, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mahkno
I have been actively trying to buy a Q7 for about three months now here in Central Illinois. Area dealers seem keen to want full MSRP minus any program discounts offered by Audi USA (eg no discount from the dealer). My online research suggests there is a built in 7.5% markup between invoice and MSRP. I have been offering them a couple thousand (~+2.75%) over invoice but they seem to prefer no sale vs any discount at all. It is all surprising and frustrating. Where I come from, everyone expected to pay less than MSRP. To demand MSRP was/is a polite way of saying they don't want your business. We own an S3 ('15) and have been very loyal to the local dealers service department. The service department is outstanding.

Forget those guys then. There are plenty of dealers in other areas which will give you 10% right now. The 7% you will save you can make it a road trip to fly over there and drive your car back.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: % Off MSRP for 2018 Q7