Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

15,000 miles: Front brakes DONE?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 04:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 15,000 miles: Front brakes DONE?

So my 2017 Q7 brakes were pulsating bad and getting worse. So I brought it in for service oil change and rotate tires and check brakes. The Service Tech calls me and tells me the front pads and rotors are DONE! Really 15,000 miles? The pulsating started about 10,000 miles and got worse. I asked to speak with the service manger and when I spoke to her she tried to say it was because I most drive with 2 feet. Ahh no I’ve been driving for over 40 years and know how to drive. She then asks do i drive fast? Huh? Yeah I do. But the rotors still should not be shot after 15K. I told her I currently also own a 2014 Porsche 911 that I thrash around way worse than the Q and the brakes are fine. I get the number of Audi NA. They were better and more accommodating. They agreed to Comp the rotors for “Audi good will”. I told him this is my 6th Audi and my wife’s current A5 Cab. NEVER had I had such poor quality brakes on a vehicle. Don’t get me wrong I love everything about the Q except the brakes. I know its a heavy vehicle but really 15K on rotors just doesn’t seem right. If they go in another 15k I think I will go aftermarket.
Old 02-02-2019, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the heads up.
What is your guesstimate for highway/city driving? When did you purchase 2016?
Old 02-02-2019, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by GBMILTON
Thanks for the heads up.
What is your guesstimate for highway/city driving? When did you purchase 2016?
Don’t know. Purchased 01/2017. I do mostly highway driving and very little stop and go. And i don’t Use it much in the summer so your guess is as good as mine.
Old 02-03-2019, 08:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Only 4k on my 2018, but I had 4 previous gen Q7s - Front rotors and pads went 20k (mostly city driving and in San Francisco to boot) and some towing - I learned to do my own brakes it happened so often.

The earlier gen Q7s were better - but Audi got a lot of complaints about brake noise and started using softer metals and pads for the brakes - I was shocked in 2014 with how quickly it burned-up brakes. Sound like they are sticking with that formula for the MK II.

I went with stop tech on my MK I Q7, far better and way more miles - not sure what our 2018 will do and when it'll need brakes, but I will most likely not be spending $2k on more OEMs that burn-up in 15-20k.

Last edited by arU4ic; 02-03-2019 at 09:00 PM.
Old 02-04-2019, 04:15 AM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 282 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by arU4ic
Only 4k on my 2018, but I had 4 previous gen Q7s - Front rotors and pads went 20k (mostly city driving and in San Francisco to boot) and some towing - I learned to do my own brakes it happened so often.

The earlier gen Q7s were better - but Audi got a lot of complaints about brake noise and started using softer metals and pads for the brakes - I was shocked in 2014 with how quickly it burned-up brakes. Sound like they are sticking with that formula for the MK II.

I went with stop tech on my MK I Q7, far better and way more miles - not sure what our 2018 will do and when it'll need brakes, but I will most likely not be spending $2k on more OEMs that burn-up in 15-20k.
FWIW - I traded a 2014 Q7 for my 2018 Q7. When traded it had 35K on the odo, and still had 5mm (50%) of original brake pad remaining.
Old 02-04-2019, 04:41 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

I have no idea if this relates to you, but tell your dealer that you would like the front brakes to be covered under TSB 2050735/3 or TSB is 2050735/1. A lot of people have had issues with the front pads and Audi ended up replacing them under warranty using that TSB.

The link below will provide a lot more reading in regards to the TSB. Good Luck.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...sight-2934072/
Old 02-07-2019, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Our 2017 Q7 has about 30k miles and the front brakes are shot. I do not want to put the same crappy OEM pads and rotors on again, but I am having trouble finding any aftermarket options. Anyone know of a good aftermarket option like, StopTech, Brembo, etc.?
Old 02-08-2019, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,158 Likes on 906 Posts

Originally Posted by mackerman22
Our 2017 Q7 has about 30k miles and the front brakes are shot. I do not want to put the same crappy OEM pads and rotors on again, but I am having trouble finding any aftermarket options. Anyone know of a good aftermarket option like, StopTech, Brembo, etc.?
Give Adam a call at Adam's Rotors. He is the best. No matter what you have he can make them for you. They will be better quality than OEM.

https://www.adamsrotors.com/about-us.html
Old 02-08-2019, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Guzzgreg

Don’t know. Purchased 01/2017. I do mostly highway driving and very little stop and go. And i don’t Use it much in the summer so your guess is as good as mine.
Driving pattern does make HUGE difference in brake life. So you don't know what percentage of highway/local driving? If you use brake a lot, 15K miles is not that bad.

Also, I'm curious how you're sure you need new rotors. Most rotors should outlast 2 sets of pads. They last even longer with softer pads.
Old 02-09-2019, 03:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by RyanCC
Driving pattern does make HUGE difference in brake life. So you don't know what percentage of highway/local driving? If you use brake a lot, 15K miles is not that bad.

Also, I'm curious how you're sure you need new rotors. Most rotors should outlast 2 sets of pads. They last even longer with softer pads.
They showed me my rotors and Min. Specs for replacing rotors and pads. Mine were shot. Also they weigh the rotors to determine if there is enough material still there to just replace the pads. Believe me this is NOT my first rodeo Ive been doing this a long time. I did not just take their word for it. Pads were visibly shot. I get that but still don’t think the rotors should have gone in 15K. You are correct that you should get 2 sets of pads for 1 set of rotors. BUT car manufacturers are using increasingly softer rotors and harder pads. I guess to stop much of the brake squeal people complain about.
REread post #3 for driving habits.

Quick Reply: 15,000 miles: Front brakes DONE?