Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

15,000 miles: Front brakes DONE?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Guzzgreg

They showed me my rotors and Min. Specs for replacing rotors and pads. Mine were shot. Also they weigh the rotors to determine if there is enough material still there to just replace the pads. Believe me this is NOT my first rodeo Ive been doing this a long time. I did not just take their word for it. Pads were visibly shot. I get that but still don’t think the rotors should have gone in 15K. You are correct that you should get 2 sets of pads for 1 set of rotors. BUT car manufacturers are using increasingly softer rotors and harder pads. I guess to stop much of the brake squeal people complain about.
REread post #3 for driving habits.
FWIW, I find that driving a lot with adaptive cruise/ congestion assist on (which I mostly do) leads to way more and harder braking, and that often somewhat unnecessary, compared to normal driving without these assists. For instance, I frequently notice automatic breaking when I’d just have taken the foot of the throttle and let the car coast. That can’t possibly help longevity of our brakes.
Old 02-09-2019, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

adaptive cruise/ congestion assist
Yeah they asked me that, I NEVER use it dont like it.
Old 02-09-2019, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

BUT car manufacturers are using increasingly softer rotors and harder pads. I guess to stop much of the brake squeal people complain about.
REread post #3 for driving habits.
And brake dust. At least they're doing a fairly good job in that regard. Our Q7's wheels stay relatively clean. My Porsche Macan S wheels would turn into black a few days after wash. I stop washing it years ago now people actually think they are gun metallic finish by design!

How much did your dealer quote you for a full job - 2 axles pads & rotors?

Last edited by RyanCC; 02-09-2019 at 01:12 PM.
Old 02-09-2019, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

They quoted me $1601.20 Pads and rotors front and $1111.18 if I wanted to do the rear at the same time.
Old 02-09-2019, 05:51 PM
Never Follows

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by mhoran89
Give Adam a call at Adam's Rotors. He is the best. No matter what you have he can make them for you. They will be better quality than OEM.

https://www.adamsrotors.com/about-us.html
fyi Adam’s uses OEM blanks at best and puts fancy patterns in them. He’s also a proven dbag. Run a few searches and see for yourself.

i wouldn’t be surprised if he arrogant self shows up to try to defend the countless posts about his attitude, rotors and service.

I had my own discussion with him about 10 yrs ago and knew fairly quickly his personality type. Luckily I never bought his product but there are plenty of posts about them.

Last edited by Audirings4; 02-10-2019 at 04:06 AM.
Old 02-09-2019, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They quoted me $1601.20 Pads and rotors front and $1111.18 if I wanted to do the rear at the same time.
No way. Buy your own parts have a local shop work for you. Or even go to a specialized brake shop will be a lot cheaper, like Brake Plus if you have one around.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by RyanCC
No way. Buy your own parts have a local shop work for you. Or even go to a specialized brake shop will be a lot cheaper, like Brake Plus if you have one around.
Yeah already checked with my Indie Porsche shop, he said no problem he works on Audi’s all the time. Only back to Audi dealer for warranty work as i do with my 911.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RyanCC
On my MK I Q7 - I could get parts for under $500 - if I didn't feel like doing the work - $200 for labor.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

OK so I have been searching the net trying to find front rotors that are better or if they are only going to last 15K cheaper for the futures,and there seems to be little to nothing available. Plenty of rear options not so for front. Anybody?
Old 02-11-2019, 08:49 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know what happened to your pads but here are pads used for 56,000 KM. The thickness of new pad starts at 10 mm and I almost barely use them. The only reason that I got them replaced is the squeezing noise while applying brakes.

Quick Reply: 15,000 miles: Front brakes DONE?