Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

18 Q7 On Order one questions VC or DAP?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 01:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 18 Q7 On Order one questions VC or DAP?

I have a Samurai Grey car on order , And I want to choose between the VC or the DAP. I know, why not both? Well, budget . We have a 2015 Q7 and of course no DAP or VC, but Im curious which option is a must have or are neither a must have?

Thanks
Old 02-20-2018, 03:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by vincefaro
I have a Samurai Grey car on order , And I want to choose between the VC or the DAP. I know, why not both? Well, budget . We have a 2015 Q7 and of course no DAP or VC, but Im curious which option is a must have or are neither a must have?

Thanks
I assume we're talking about the Drivers Assistance Package vs the VC. Not sure what VC is. However, I just finished my lease on an X5 that had the equivalent of the DAP and I would never get a car without it now. There are two scenarios where the cruise control (which adjusts for the speed of the cars around you) is so helpful. In heavy traffic it allows you to simply relax. On the BMW the car would just follow along and stop as needed. A brief tap on the accelerator and the car would move along again. One can have a relaxing conversation without the need to constantly be ready to stomp on the brake pedal. It truly is a game changer in stop/go traffic. On longer road trips it is also very relaxing to just set the speed and not worry that you're going to get too close the the car in front of you. Once you have this feature you'll realize how much energy it takes to be vigilant to constantly changing speeds, even on a wide open highway. I can almost say unequivocally, even without knowing what VC is, that DAP is the way to go!

Last edited by PeteInCA; 02-20-2018 at 04:34 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks
Originally Posted by PeteInCA
I assume we're talking about the Drivers Assistance Package vs the VC. Not sure what VC is. However, I just finished my lease on an X5 that had the equivalent of the DAP and I would never get a car without it now. There are two scenarios where the cruise control (which adjusts for the speed of the cars around you) is so helpful. In heavy traffic it allows you to simply relax. On the BMW the car would just follow along and stop as needed. A brief tap on the accelerator and the car would move along again. One can have a relaxing conversation without the need to constantly be ready to stomp on the brake peddle. It truly is a game changer in stop/go traffic. On longer road trips it is also very relaxing to just set the speed and not worry that you're going to get too close the the car in front of you. Once you have this feature you'll realize how much energy it takes to be vigilant to constantly changing speeds, even on a wide open highway. I can almost say unequivocally, even without knowing what VC is, that DAP is the way to go!
Sorry I meant Vision Pacakge
Old 02-20-2018, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I understand DAP "driver assistance package", but I'm not sure what VC is referring to?
Old 02-20-2018, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Sorry I meant Vision Pacakge
got it. I have both and if I could only choose one it would be the Driver assistance package without a doubt. You will get far more use out of DAP, more bang for your buck than the Night vision.

Unless you only drive at night in the country
Old 02-20-2018, 03:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JohnnyBlackHeart
got it. I have both and if I could only choose one it would be the Driver assistance package without a doubt. You will get far more use out of DAP, more bang for your buck than the Night vision.

Unless you only drive at night in the country

I think the OP is refering to the Vision Package not the Night Vision. The vision Package includes:
Vision package
  • Audi virtual cockpit
  • Full LED headlights
  • Topview camera system

I would want both the Vision Package and the DAP.....but if only one....the DAP for the reasons I discussed above.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

I'm with PeteInCA. I always tagged the adaptive cruise as a "meh.. gimmic" type addition (in all fairness, it was stupid expensive years back). I have it on my SQ5, with the stop and go traffic assist, I couldn't live without it now.

The topview brings almost no value, virtual cockpit is kind of nice, but you get a bunch of that dynamic content between the gauges on the non-VC. Full LED's is another question mark. If you drive out of the city at night, they give a nice consistent white light, so it's more of a style/preference question.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 74 Likes on 54 Posts

Another vote for DAP. I have both, and though I do like the virtual cockpit, my understanding is that a lot of that information is there with the standard cockpit, but just doesn't look as nice. The DAP, however, truly makes it easier and more relaxing to drive, and probably safer too. The topview camera is also nice, but again less of a "must-have" function IMHO. The LEDs are nothing special.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I prefer the VC, assuming you meant Visual Package, which includes the virtual cockpit, which is what I thought VC was originally referring to.

The VC is nice but I find the bird's eye view of the car to be an even more useful feature.

I do use DAP from time to time but I just don't drive a ton in stop and go traffic. That's the only time I use it, like going down a busy street in my neighborhood full of stores and traffic lights, so there's a good bit of stop-and-go driving. The lane assist is nice but still, I wouldn't be sad to see my DAP go away. I had a loaner with the standard gauges and it was just so weird compared to the Virtual Cockpit.

If you care about the competition, it seems that most of the Germans are moving towards a digital cluster anyway, and I can appreciate it in our W222 right now. If I had to choose between VC and DAP, VC in a heartbeat. "Regular" old cruise control is just fine for me.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks
A lot depends on where you live an drive. If you are driving frequently in city with traffic or cruise on highways, then DAP is very useful in either scenario. Same for the VP, the eagle eye view camera is a boon when it comes to parking in tight city spots. Regarding the virtual cockpit, its all again about personal taste. But keep in mind, digital cluster is the future and this something that the auto industry in general has taken serious note of after Audi introduced it.

I'm guessing you are planning to buy the vehicle. When its time to sell, these features will be good selling points as more manufacturers are beginning to offer some of these features as standard now. So, you may want to keep that in mind too.

Quick Reply: 18 Q7 On Order one questions VC or DAP?