Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

18 Q7 On Order one questions VC or DAP?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

For the record, if you are interested in "autonomous driving", that is basically what DAP gets you. At 40MPH/65KPH or lower, it will drive itself (only occurs in dense traffic though). Above that speed, it steers in the lane, and maintains speed (almost the same, just will not resume speed if stopped). Not that I recommend you turn it on and take a nap or read a book, but it does reduce fatigue on long drives.
Old 02-21-2018, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

to be honest if you have to choose one, i prefer DAP over VP..
  • I like the LED headlights but standard HID is very good also from audi..
  • 360 top view is a very nice feature, but i'm ok with just a regular backup camera..
  • now the VC part, even though i have it, i have not been using it to its full extent.. i have never change the radio staion/music from it, i always use the center screen for that.. as far as maps, i always use it on the center screen unless if i have both waze and the native nav system running at once. then i'll have waze on the center and the native maps on VC.. but the VC has 1 advantage for the native maps screen than the regular, which is to be able to go full screen rather just a small center portion in between the speedo gauges..
now DAP, after experiencing it.. i can't seem to live without it.. you have to try it out first hand to really know what it is capable of..
Old 02-21-2018, 12:53 PM
Audi Q7 Prestige'18 Owner

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have both... but DAP is "required" from now on.
VC: Really love virtual cockpit, but could live without. Also love the 360 view on the camera (vision Pack).. but again, could live without.
DAP: Wow..
1. Adaptive Cruise: There are multiple ways to use this...
  • Simple cruse on the freeway... press the cruise, and select your highest preferred speed. Even if the cars in front are slower, you will be kept behind them with a nice (adjustable) buffer zone. The car simply keeps up with the car in front.. auto slows down.
  • When you come to a stop, you can "Resume" the cruse control, even when stopped.. set the speed you want to go. Once the car in front starts moving, tap the accelerator, and the car will start going and accelerate and keep up with traffic. If they stop, you stop. If they start again within a few seconds, it starts automatically... if it is more than a few, then you just tap the accelerator again, and you are going (This is called "Traffic Assist")
2. Lane Guidance: I use this off and on... sometimes i find it a little too harsh. but on a tight road that winds, it will keep you in-lane. That along with Adaptive cruise... it almost drives itself.
3. Lane change warnings: You get extra warnings for blind spots... blinking lights if you try to change lanes into another car.
Old 02-21-2018, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

Forgot about the lane change warnings. I'm surprised that isn't a "mandatory" safety addition (like the back up camera).
Old 02-21-2018, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

While I agree both are useful, if I had to ONLY pick one, it would be the VC. I like to drive and have never used the ACC or other features except to test them. The VC on the other hand gives me a very cool look to the vehicle and allows me to navigate the menus from the steering wheel. LEDs, while not the best, are the future (present?) of headlights, and yeah the 360 view is very important for a vehicle this size.

I like the presense stuff, but i believe a limited amount is standard on the Q
Old 02-21-2018, 04:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, Thank you all for your input, I think we will choose VAP . I have driven with friends who have the semi-autonomous driving , and they all say its a game changer . I just wasnt sure if the Audi system was all flushed out. I thank you for the input.
Old 02-21-2018, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I just had to think what a non-Audi owner would think after reading this thread.

VC, DAP, HID, LED, RSE? OMG! WTF?
Old 02-21-2018, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vincefaro
Wow, Thank you all for your input, I think we will choose VAP
Sounds like you're still confused on what to buy

Also, I'm surprised so many people on this forum answered DAP. I would have bet on it being a 50/50 split, but it seems like 2 or 3 people, myself included, chose the Virtual Cockpit/Vision Package over the DAP.

The DAP is really nice and all but I guess I don't use it as much as some others here do. I use cruise control all the time on all my cars and while the advanced CC is nice, the "advanced" part I can live without, without an issue. Same with lane keep and distance control.

To each their own. It seemed as if every car at my local dealerships had the DAP, so it wasn't something I was bothered about when sifting through the offerings they had. I saw fewer Cold Weather Packages than I did DAP models so I just assumed DAP was something everyone opted for, at least on Prestige models.
Old 02-22-2018, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by vincefaro
Wow, Thank you all for your input, I think we will choose VAP . I have driven with friends who have the semi-autonomous driving , and they all say its a game changer . I just wasnt sure if the Audi system was all flushed out. I thank you for the input.
Yeah, I suppose VAP is the best compromise between the two!
Old 02-22-2018, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by smacky
Sounds like you're still confused on what to buy

Also, I'm surprised so many people on this forum answered DAP. I would have bet on it being a 50/50 split, but it seems like 2 or 3 people, myself included, chose the Virtual Cockpit/Vision Package over the DAP.

The DAP is really nice and all but I guess I don't use it as much as some others here do. I use cruise control all the time on all my cars and while the advanced CC is nice, the "advanced" part I can live without, without an issue. Same with lane keep and distance control.

To each their own. It seemed as if every car at my local dealerships had the DAP, so it wasn't something I was bothered about when sifting through the offerings they had. I saw fewer Cold Weather Packages than I did DAP models so I just assumed DAP was something everyone opted for, at least on Prestige models.
I'm with you, but as you can see, many on this board use the safety DAP features a lot, including the ACC. I do not. However, on the road I have observed that most Q7s surprisingly do not have DAP as evidenced by the lack of the radar globes in the bumper. I see more on the road without DAP (even when they have VC as evidenced by the LED headlamps), than with, and I live in an area full of luxury cars. So, you and I are not alone

Quick Reply: 18 Q7 On Order one questions VC or DAP?