Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

18 Q7 On Order one questions VC or DAP?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting points. There is reason why auto manufacturers offer such features as stand alone options or part of bundle. While I do agree that everyone has different set of preferences and must-haves, once we have seen/used a specific feature, you start to realize how have I been driving without this for so long?

A decade ago, if you had asked me if I needed a backup camera, I would have confidently said no. Fast forward today, given how accustomed I have become to using backup camera and realized its utility while parking in tight city spots, it is definitely a must-have. Similarly, VC, 360-view camera, rear traffic alert, adaptive cruise control and now enhanced safety features such as "Audi Pre-Sense". After having used and witnessed each of these features in action, I cannot imagine getting my next car without them.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by sr007
Interesting points. There is reason why auto manufacturers offer such features as stand alone options or part of bundle. While I do agree that everyone has different set of preferences and must-haves, once we have seen/used a specific feature, you start to realize how have I been driving without this for so long?

A decade ago, if you had asked me if I needed a backup camera, I would have confidently said no. Fast forward today, given how accustomed I have become to using backup camera and realized its utility while parking in tight city spots, it is definitely a must-have. Similarly, VC, 360-view camera, rear traffic alert, adaptive cruise control and now enhanced safety features such as "Audi Pre-Sense". After having used and witnessed each of these features in action, I cannot imagine getting my next car without them.
I agree with you and bought both. But the question was which ONE to pick. If you dont use ACC often, then VC is the way to go. Also, I was pointing out how ~50% or more of buyers dont buy things like DAP
Old 02-22-2018, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

I can't imagine owning a car with LED headlights...... While HIDs are a huge improvement over halogen, they do not produce the vision LEDs do. I've driven Audi's back to back with HID/LED, and you would be shocked at how much better the LEDs are in real life. The side projection for ditches is enormously improved with LEDs, as well as the high beams. Driving in snow/rain/fog is also notably improved with the LED color tone. It's just no contest in the real word, the LEDs are a huge step up.

I also can't imagine not investing in active cruise control...what a great piece of safety tech that lowers stress. My advice...save up and get both packages, as they are both worth every penny. Trust me, you will always be unhappy wit the car in you don't order both and plagued with "what-if" the entire ownership experience.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I can definitely live without VC, but as others said, it's part of VP (Vision Package) so I went with everything. VP and DAP.
I wish we could pick and choose better, especially if we were ordering vs picking one off the lot, like I would pay extra for HUD instead of VC with the rest of the VP.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Anyone that says you can live without Virtual Cockpit is someone that has never OWNED a car with Virtual Cockpit!!! LOL Sure, you can "live" without it....but why?!?! The tech is amazing and a centerpiece of technology that is very usable. After a week of ownership I can't imagine not having VC in front of me with it's configurable display. There is no substitute for it, just compromises.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hayde_bre
I can definitely live without VC, but as others said, it's part of VP (Vision Package) so I went with everything. VP and DAP.
I wish we could pick and choose better, especially if we were ordering vs picking one off the lot, like I would pay extra for HUD instead of VC with the rest of the VP.

Yeah, Audi seems to be very rigid with its packages and options. Compared to BMW and even MB where you can opt for some features, like soft close doors or a HUD without having to spend a few grand on a luxury or driver's package to get those features respectively. Audi's standalone options are just wheels, beam rings, and RSE and tow packages. Otherwise, you have to buy a whole new package to get a feature you want but don't have.

Contrast this with Porsche where the amount of options is nausea inducing and very specific. That's too many options, at that point.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by smacky
Yeah, Audi seems to be very rigid with its packages and options. Compared to BMW and even MB where you can opt for some features, like soft close doors or a HUD without having to spend a few grand on a luxury or driver's package to get those features respectively. Audi's standalone options are just wheels, beam rings, and RSE and tow packages. Otherwise, you have to buy a whole new package to get a feature you want but don't have.

Contrast this with Porsche where the amount of options is nausea inducing and very specific. That's too many options, at that point.
And then you go across the pond, and pretty much everything is a stand alone option...
Old 02-22-2018, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by farmerjones
Anyone that says you can live without Virtual Cockpit is someone that has never OWNED a car with Virtual Cockpit!!! LOL Sure, you can "live" without it....but why?!?! The tech is amazing and a centerpiece of technology that is very usable. After a week of ownership I can't imagine not having VC in front of me with it's configurable display. There is no substitute for it, just compromises.
I have VC, and I was one of those who said you can live without it.
It's a personal preference, and you still get majority (if not all) of that information via regular analog cluster since it still has a very large center LCD display, pretty much everything is same as if you hit the View button on the VC, which, actually, I prefer since I don't have to look all the down to the right bottom corner to see my speed. VC is very cool, but it's nothing ground breaking. I am sure it's more useful if you have night vision package or if we could get things like rear view or front camera on our dash instead of smaller nav .. There were few long threads on Virtual Cockpit already, I suggest anyone on the fence about it read those threads and decide.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'm sorry, but Virtual Cockpit is absolutely ground breaking tech. And I'll adamantly disagree that you "basically get the same functions on the center screen, albeit smaller". Then clearly you have not used for any length of time a Q7 with the standard gauges.....it's a far cry from "the same but smaller" and lacks numerous similarities in functionality.

We can agree to disagree, but your opinion is certainly in the minority if you read through the numerous threads you referenced. I guarantee the trade in value of a car without VC will be substantial in the future.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I believe the best bang for your buck would be to get a prestige with DAP (if looking at v6), then bargain the price down as much as possible.

Quick Reply: 18 Q7 On Order one questions VC or DAP?