Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

18 Q7 - trying to identify a noise

Old 08-08-2018, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 18 Q7 - trying to identify a noise

Lurked around for awhile, first post. Let me preface this that I already have an appointment with the dealer, but I like to troubleshoot issues myself so that I don't go into the shop blindly.
I have an '18 3.0 TFSI. Recently I've noticed a mechanical rotating noise coming from a driver side vent (doesn't sound like a suptercharger spooling) when accelerating past 2k RPM, it lets off after letting off the throttle. Closing the vent dampens the noise. I've tested this with all the HVAC/seat fans off. Not finding anything in the TSBs on truedelta, but I figure I'll see if anyone else had similar issues or has any ideas as to what might be causing it.
Old 08-08-2018, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Here's a video (sorry for the shaky cam and vertical view but I was recording for the sound), the sound starts at 00:12 seconds and once again at 00:23, sounds like a an improperly seated fan. When the car's in neutral, revving doesn't replicate the issue, only when engaged in drive.

Old 08-09-2018, 03:10 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Is it the scraping like sound? I also have that on my Q7 and will be taking it in soon for the issue.
Old 08-09-2018, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Allroading17
Is it the scraping like sound? I also have that on my Q7 and will be taking it in soon for the issue.
Yes, scraping is an accurate description. The only good thing about this is that it's reproducible 100%.
Old 08-09-2018, 05:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by madvad
Yes, scraping is an accurate description. The only good thing about this is that it's reproducible 100%.

I just started having the noise as well. Please let me know what the dealer says is wrong with the car. So weird!

Old 08-09-2018, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

AC on or off when you hear the sound? If on, it could be low refrigerant. Just took mine in for a scraping sound coming through the vents. Low refrigerant was the culprit. Topped it up and put some dye in the system and all is good.
Old 08-09-2018, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by NABS4
AC on or off when you hear the sound? If on, it could be low refrigerant. Just took mine in for a scraping sound coming through the vents. Low refrigerant was the culprit. Topped it up and put some dye in the system and all is good.
AC and the fans were off. I'm taking it in on Tuesday, I'll follow up on the forums for future reference.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:50 AM
Banned

Any updates from the dealership?
Old 08-15-2018, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Allroading17
Any updates from the dealership?
Well they heard it, a tech rode in and drove the car. At first he thought it was a super charger, may be its clutch. The car had no stored codes that would be reflective of that. So he couldn't identify the source and thinks it might be caused by my roof rails. It doesn't make much sense to me why the rails would make noise only when you're accelerating rather than at any speed above a certain threshold (maybe the car's slight tilt due to a weight shift causes changes in wind flow?). The rails are a pain to take down, so when I get around to testing without them, I can call their theory BS at which point I'll go back.

PS The pano roof TSB worked like magic though, and they still don't have a fix for overhead camera view defaulting to graphic.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:03 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by madvad
Well they heard it, a tech rode in and drove the car. At first he thought it was a super charger, may be its clutch. The car had no stored codes that would be reflective of that. So he couldn't identify the source and thinks it might be caused by my roof rails. It doesn't make much sense to me why the rails would make noise only when you're accelerating rather than at any speed above a certain threshold (maybe the car's slight tilt due to a weight shift causes changes in wind flow?). The rails are a pain to take down, so when I get around to testing without them, I can call their theory BS at which point I'll go back.

PS The pano roof TSB worked like magic though, and they still don't have a fix for overhead camera view defaulting to graphic.

I think it has to do with the supercharger personally. Lets see what my dealer says. I have to go back for a seat cover they ordered and will update you.

Thanks for the response though!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 18 Q7 - trying to identify a noise