Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Tow package

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 02:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tow package

Can anyone tell me what the tow package includes? I'm getting my first Q7 (Premium Plus) and the car I ordered has the tow package included (the $500 option). What does that include and what can I do with it? I noticed there's another option (some 4 pin connector) that I don't believe is included.

Someone mentioned that it can be used to carry bikes. What do I need to purchase to do that?

Thanks
PB
Old 02-27-2017, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Tow package gives you the tow hitch, so you can tow something. And I believe the extra $150 connector is so you can actually tow something MEANINGFUL, like a boat or trailer and can connect lights etc.

Yes, you can get bike racks that do into the tow hitch, and if that's all you'll use it for then you dont need the $150 pin set up. I got it anyway since I ordered mine
Old 02-27-2017, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Get the tow package when car is built, dealer install is $1,000++
Old 02-27-2017, 01:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Auto include

Honestly this is pretty cheap of Audi not to include this by default...One of the biggest selling points of this vehicle is it's tow capacity!
Old 02-27-2017, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BigKutta
Tow package gives you the tow hitch, so you can tow something. And I believe the extra $150 connector is so you can actually tow something MEANINGFUL, like a boat or trailer and can connect lights etc.

Yes, you can get bike racks that do into the tow hitch, and if that's all you'll use it for then you dont need the $150 pin set up. I got it anyway since I ordered mine
I bought the exact connector Audi sells on amazon for $20 and it works great, the dealer even told me to buy it there because they're the same.
Old 02-27-2017, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mitchfin
I bought the exact connector Audi sells on amazon for $20 and it works great, the dealer even told me to buy it there because they're the same.
I did the same and it works perfectly.
Old 02-28-2017, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Just to clarify... the tow package includes the receiver hitch including bumper cutout and the basic trailer wiring. As others have stated, if you even remotely think you want to tow, then you want to include this option in the build as it's much more expensive to do later (plus the bumper cutout will not be as clean). Even if you don't think you will tow, it's probably a good idea to do for resale value.

The tow package does not include the 7-pin connector, a 4-pin adapter, or the ball mount, ball and locking pin that goes into receiver. These you have to purchase separately. The 7-pin connector is easily installed yourself with a Phillips screwdriver.

The 7-pin connector can be found on Amazon
HERE HERE
and is much cheaper than buying it from Audi.

If you have a 4-pin trailer or other accessory, you can get a 7-pin to 4-pin adapter on Amazon.
HERE HERE
is one example.

Here is an
EXAMPLE EXAMPLE
of a ball mount kit. The specific one you need depends on your trailer and the height needed to make the tongue level.

You can also put bike racks, carry trays, etc in the receiver. Here's just one
EXAMPLE EXAMPLE
of a bike rack.
The following users liked this post:
Lmike6453 (12-26-2019)
Old 02-28-2017, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by RickObe
Just to clarify... the tow package includes the receiver hitch including bumper cutout and the basic trailer wiring. As others have stated, if you even remotely think you want to tow, then you want to include this option in the build as it's much more expensive to do later (plus the bumper cutout will not be as clean). Even if you don't think you will tow, it's probably a good idea to do for resale value.

The tow package does not include the 7-pin connector, a 4-pin adapter, or the ball mount, ball and locking pin that goes into receiver. These you have to purchase separately. The 7-pin connector is easily installed yourself with a Phillips screwdriver.

The 7-pin connector can be found on Amazon HERE and is much cheaper than buying it from Audi.

If you have a 4-pin trailer or other accessory, you can get a 7-pin to 4-pin adapter on Amazon. HERE is one example.

Here is an EXAMPLE of a ball mount kit. The specific one you need depends on your trailer and the height needed to make the tongue level.

You can also put bike racks, carry trays, etc in the receiver. Here's just one EXAMPLE of a bike rack.
Damn! I wish I knew that. I though the $150 would be me some fully integrated wiring or some BS. And I'll likely never even need it....oh well!
Old 02-28-2017, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IndyRon
Get the tow package when car is built, dealer install is $1,000++

Dealer install is $1900 for parts, $800 for labor.
Old 02-28-2017, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Not really clear for me, why Audi doesn't supply to US the same configuration of towing system as here in Europe. For example, my Q7 has all the necesary things already installed, including tow-ball with sensor ring, for the towing assistant to know the angle between your trailer and car. There is a button for rising and removing towing ball in the trunk. In US you have rather some kind of fixed towing preperation kit installed, without any assistance systems available, and to tow something a lot of things should be purchased from local "dealers"...

Quick Reply: Tow package