Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

20 inch All season versus 21 inch summer

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Is there any reason to avoid the touchless car wash robots?
Old 08-04-2017, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 566 Likes on 448 Posts

Only when the dealer would give me a free carwash card to the full service place down the street.. other than that I cant think of any other automatic wash I have ever done in my life..

Always took my Son w/me because he got a kick out of watching the big touchless robots through the observation window inside.. they did a good job, guys would vac'd out the inside and hand dry the car, even got chips in my windshield fixed for free (through insurance)
Old 08-04-2017, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Spaceframe
I do, but not regularly. I ceramic coated my wife's car so I do a no rinse wash which can be done in a garage with just a bucket and microfiber towels. Sometimes I will go to manual spray wash to get off salt, bugs, etc. when it builds up. I never go to an automatic touch wash anymore as that will mar the surface.
Huge +1 to the no rinse car wash. Ever since I discovered this way of washing, would never ever go back. Couple buckets, couple dozen microfiber cloths = zero water spots, easy to do, and can even do just part of the car at a time if in a rush. As long as you wash regularly it the only way to go, always looks showroom new. Optimum no rinse wash / wax (the green stuff), has been awesome!
Old 08-04-2017, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rsilvers129
I did it last time in 20 minutes, but I have an impact wrench. But it is really 30 minutes by the time I set up, clean up, etc. Also you are not supposed to use anti-sieze on the bolts, and especially not on the bolt faces.
It takes me about an hour. But, that includes laying out the wheels to go on, making the change, stacking everything back up, Lug torquing, road test, and one more lug torque. Impact wrench. Quick Jack for my other vehicles.
Old 08-04-2017, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Meyecul
Huge +1 to the no rinse car wash. Ever since I discovered this way of washing, would never ever go back. Couple buckets, couple dozen microfiber cloths = zero water spots, easy to do, and can even do just part of the car at a time if in a rush. As long as you wash regularly it the only way to go, always looks showroom new. Optimum no rinse wash / wax (the green stuff), has been awesome!
I use 1 bucket with a false bottom and a bunch of microfiber towels. Even after months of not washing everything comes off easily. The water is just darker. I have Opti-Coat so I don't wax. Every six months or so I put a sealant on which takes only 15 minutes. Almost 2 years, 28k later the car looks like it did when I ceramic coated it. For me it has been worth it.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Summer tires are..., well, made for summers. Winter tires or, to a lesser degree, all-seasons, are not just to handle driving on slush, snow and ice. They retain their ability to grip road surface in lower temperatures. Summer tires get stiff and lose their traction when it gets colder (say below 50F), so toboggan they are for the winter driving, whether there is snow and ice or not. Where seasons are present but winters are mild all-seasons should be a good compromise.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I don't like my 20 inch run-flats. I will probably get normal tires when they wear out. Unless what I am feeling is not the tires.

19 inch is probably the wheel size that is actually best for me. A little smoother ride. Cheaper and more available winter and other tires.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Discount tire will swap wheels and tires for free if you purchased them there including rotation. I bought my winter setup from them and they told me just to bring them in when I want them out back on, no charge. Once I wear through my summer tires, I'll be getting a set of Conti DWS06's for my black Optics wheels (21") and will only use my winters for the 4 months that I regularly drive to the mountains during the winter.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spaceframe
I use 1 bucket with a false bottom and a bunch of microfiber towels. Even after months of not washing everything comes off easily. The water is just darker. I have Opti-Coat so I don't wax. Every six months or so I put a sealant on which takes only 15 minutes. Almost 2 years, 28k later the car looks like it did when I ceramic coated it. For me it has been worth it.
Is this a decent description of the technique you're referring to: How To Use A Rinseless Wash, no rinse car wash, Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine, Detailer's Pro Series Rinseless Wash & Gloss, ONR

Also, any recommendations on the sealant you use?

I'm sure there's a detailing thread out there, but we've hijacked this one pretty good.

Thanks.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by PeteDin206
Discount tire will swap wheels and tires for free if you purchased them there including rotation. I bought my winter setup from them and they told me just to bring them in when I want them out back on, no charge. Once I wear through my summer tires, I'll be getting a set of Conti DWS06's for my black Optics wheels (21") and will only use my winters for the 4 months that I regularly drive to the mountains during the winter.
Sort of. They charge for balancing, which should be done for any tire remount.

Quick Reply: 20 inch All season versus 21 inch summer