Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

20 inch All season versus 21 inch summer

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Tiburblium
Question for you guys in the Southeast...

I live in Atlanta, GA, ordered at 2018 Q7 for my wife, taking delivery in a few weeks and it's coming with the 21" wheels and summer tires. I was planning to order a second set of wheels/tires with winter tires for Dec-Feb, but wanted to confirm I'm not being OCD about this. The reason I ask is that the sales guy seemed really confused when I mentioned doing this, he called his his co-worker who owns a Q7 and apparently uses the summer tires year round here. It was December at the time and sure enough, his car had the summer tires on it.

I realize this is a sales guy I'm talking to, but given that our typical winter is 30-50 degree weather I'm wondering if this is common here? Seems unsafe to me and not worth the risk, but maybe I'm just overly paranoid? I do realize there are multiple classes of summer tires, but I didn't think of the compounds were intended or safe for <45 degree weather
Just because they sell cars doesn't mean they are smart. Check the specs on the tire, but yes generally in the 40s is when they say not to use them. I haven't lived in Atlanta but i imagine you have a few cold days, and some with ice or light snow? If so, please dont drive the Q7 with summers. I was shopping the Q in the middle of winter in the DC area, and found one that was stacked like i'd like except it had 21" summer/tires. The selling dealer couldn't understand why I was making a fuss about swapping tires?!?!
Old 03-23-2018, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i dont know why anyone would buy summer tires for anything other than hot weather racing. They are expensive and last about 50% of the all seasons.

Conti DWS06 is a great tire
Old 03-24-2018, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrp0rky
You guys do know that there is an All Season 21" from the factory available now right? the All season option was available since August..
What All season tires come with the 21" and how to spec. I didn't find them when I was specing my Q7 and the dealer couldn't find them either. I am picking up the car today and will ask if that has changed. If you have the info can you share brand of tire, etc. Thanks.

Regardless the 295/40/21 Conti's will be on the car anyways...really like the Conti's as they are on my other cars.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:18 AM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 282 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by diesel_a6
What All season tires come with the 21" and how to spec. I didn't find them when I was specing my Q7 and the dealer couldn't find them either. I am picking up the car today and will ask if that has changed. If you have the info can you share brand of tire, etc. Thanks.
My special order 2018 Q7 arrived a few days ago. I got to see it for the first time today. It hasn't gone through PDI yet, but they completed clear bra yesterday and will tint windows Monday.

I ordered the A/S tires with Black Optics Package. Here are photos of the Pirelli tires that came on it.

Old 03-24-2018, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jetsfan101
i dont know why anyone would buy summer tires for anything other than hot weather racing. They are expensive and last about 50% of the all seasons.

Conti DWS06 is a great tire

Mercedes has done something stupid with the S Class that comes with 20" tires. Because they are run flats and no spare, no company makes RF AS tires in the dimensions for the W222's 20" AMG wheels.

So my pops drives around on summers despite the service adviser and myself advising him not to.
Old 03-25-2018, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by diesel_a6

Regardless the 295/40/21 Conti's will be on the car anyways...really like the Conti's as they are on my other cars.

Thanks in advance.

the way to get it is to ask your SA about it.. i know they have it but sometimes is not on the order sheet that you have to fill out.. i love the Conti's too.. when i'm done with the summer tires i'll also get that tires..
Old 03-25-2018, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mrp0rky
the way to get it is to ask your SA about it.. i know they have it but sometimes is not on the order sheet that you have to fill out.. i love the Conti's too.. when i'm done with the summer tires i'll also get that tires..
Tirerack blog compares Pirelli equal to DWS

https://blog.tirerack.com/blog/hunte...s-right-for-me

Last edited by anilx783; 03-25-2018 at 05:50 AM.
Old 03-25-2018, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by anilx783
Tirerack blog compares Pirelli equal to DWS

https://blog.tirerack.com/blog/hunte...s-right-for-me

Are P-zero-all-seasons and P-zero-all-season-Plus the same thing? What tirerack has, and what the picture in this thread shows, are All Seasons. Not the All Season Plus.
Old 03-25-2018, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

My understanding is plus is the ultra high performance version of all season with higher speed rating. And the one coming with Audi is special made for Audi with AO badging.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM Goodyear rum flat 20"

As many of you have experienced the Q7 is a heavy vehicle and eats it's tires especially outboard where mine are literally chunking. My local tire guy says part of the issue is that here in the Villages Florida, we have a lot of roundabouts putting extra and unusual stress on these wide tires. So my question is if I go with the suggested ContiDWS06 tire at 275 45 20 and it being a slightly narrower tire, won't the wear be even worse than original run flat Goodyear, less surface area higher psi loading?

Quick Reply: 20 inch All season versus 21 inch summer