Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

20 Inch wheels to 19 or 18s

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Damon@tirerack.com
Here is mine on 19" MSW wheels and Blizzaks. It rides like a pillow compared to 20" runflats, and I think they look as nice!
I have the same setup. Like it. I did replace MSW center-cups with black Audi rings center-cups form amazon.com and wheels looks even better with them.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:33 PM
alk
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ConservativeConsumer
I did replace MSW center-cups with black Audi rings center-cups
Yeah, I did that with some Alzor reps I put on my A4. One of the things I dislike about my Mandrus setup is that the center caps are much larger (70mm-ish, I’m guessing). The center bore size is perfect at 66.56mm, but the caps are a strange size for which I can’t buy Audi knock offs. :-(
Old 10-24-2018, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for sharing, if I buy a set of four tires and wheels and have Tirerack mounted them and ship to me, do I need to worry about TPMS if I put them on myself? Or I would need to bring the car to the shop to have them installed?
Old 10-24-2018, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by harrison221
Thanks for sharing, if I buy a set of four tires and wheels and have Tirerack mounted them and ship to me, do I need to worry about TPMS if I put them on myself? Or I would need to bring the car to the shop to have them installed?
There are no TPMS sensors. You just have to reset the TPMS through the MMI once you fit the new wheels/tires.
Old 10-24-2018, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by NABS4

There are no TPMS sensors. You just have to reset the TPMS through the MMI once you fit the new wheels/tires.
Thank you
Old 10-25-2018, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NABS4

Agree.
Old 12-22-2018, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Bolts, hubcaps, quality

Originally Posted by alk
Yes. I just put 19s on mine for the winter. Mostly I was trying to find a cheaper solution for snow tires than the absurdly expensive 20” tires that fit the stock wheels. But I’m quite happy with the results with respect to ride quality. The car is a bit “splashy” in the corners now, though...
Here are a couple pics.

Mandrus “23” wheels in matte black. 19” by 8.5” wide, ET25.

Alk, did you need new lug bolts to instal the Madrus wheels, or did you use the OEM M14x1.5 lug bolts? Also, did you find an Audi center hubcap that fits? I know the Mandrus hubcaps are larger about 75-76mm, but I've found on eBay Audi Q7 2011 center hubcaps that are 73mm, which might work. Also what do you think about the quality? I'm a bit nervous about being made in China, but LOVE the look and willing to take a chance How is the fitting with ET 25?
Old 12-25-2018, 11:59 AM
alk
AudiWorld Member

No, you can’t re-use the Audi bolts. The Audi wheels use hemispherical seat bolts, but most aftermarket wheels (Mandrus included) use conical seat bolts. The length is different, too (though I don’t remember what size is required for the Mandrus wheels). Discount Tire includes bolts with the wheels. The same should be true of most retailers.

The center cap / hub cap is about 70mm diameter. That’s the OEM size for Mercedes Benz. Mandrus wheels are popular in the MB aftermarket, but the bolt pattern and center bore size matches Audi, too. I have not been able to find a knock-off center cap with an Audi logo in that size. The best I can find is blank center caps and a 70mm sticker. I think a sticker would look pretty crappy up close, and the Mandrus caps look good enough for me. I gave up looking for Audi style caps months ago...

My personal experience with matching bolts and wheels was a nightmare. First, Discount Tire didn’t ship the bolts with my wheels. Then, they sent bolts that were too long and drove into wheel bearing hub on the back wheels. I was in a rush to get the winter tires on the day before a road trip, and I didn’t have time to shop around for more bolts or return them to get the right size. Instead, I got my shop to cut them about 1/4” shorter with an angle grinder. That worked fine for me, though in the long run I’m worried about the thread getting boogered up. Long story short - make sure you lean hard on the seller to include bolts of the appropriate length. Apparently, Discount Tire has the wrong size in their database for the 4M Q7.

Last edited by alk; 12-25-2018 at 12:02 PM.
Old 12-25-2018, 12:07 PM
alk
AudiWorld Member

Oh, also, the fit is great. I’ve been running these wheels for about two months, and they are great. The ride with the winter tires is soft and supple. There is no rubbing even at full lock. And with the very low offset, the wheels are pushed out to about the same depth (nearly flush) as the OEM 20” wheels. I have to say, though, that after a couple months of seeing them daily, the black on black without a complete BOP looks a bit weird. I can’t decide if I like it or not...
Old 12-25-2018, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the reply. Too bad the lug bolts don’t fit, otherwise it’s a great looking brand Mandrus by TSW. I’ve found these Audi hubcaps that are bigger and might fit. For $15 I’d give it a try even if you have to file it down a bit. https://www.ebay.com/itm/4x-77mm-Bla...=1901497506001