AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q7 MKII Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mkii-discussion-211/)
-   -   20 kia telluride sx-p vs 18 q7 prestige? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mkii-discussion-211/20-kia-telluride-sx-p-vs-18-q7-prestige-2996605/)

sidewinder1 05-10-2020 06:18 PM

20 kia telluride sx-p vs 18 q7 prestige?

trying to decide between a kia telluride top of the line sx-p for $48k and 18 30k mi q7 prestige (tow, warm/cold, driver packages). most at the telluride forums seems to think telluride is so much better in terms of cost of ownership. it will also hold its own in terms of tech goodies against the $70k msrp q8. i get if maintenance cost was an issue people would have not forked over ~$70k new for a q7 but still money is money. its not that i can't afford a $70k vehicle but just not fan of paying that much for a vehicle especially to take a giant hit on depreciation. that said, used q7 looks like is a good value but just scared of high maintenance costs ($3k for brake job?) is this truth or myth?

dohturdima 05-10-2020 07:45 PM

Members of a Kia forum will obviously be biased towards their choice, whereas you will likely find bias towards the Audi on this forum. Yes, out of warranty the maintenance costs can be high but $3K for a brake job _is_ a myth (if out of warranty, can find a decent indy shop that specializes in imports and pay significantly less). For me, Kia was not even in the running due power and handling combination not being in the same class as the Q7 and not having the same interior fit-and-finish. But the Telluride will likely depreciate less, cost less to maintain post warranty, will not require premium gas etc. Decide what is more of a priority for you.

whyman 05-11-2020 04:13 AM

To be honest, after owning a 2018 Q7, and having previously owned a Kia Sorento SX V6, which has the same engine in the Telluride, I'd go for the Telluride which is 90% of the car in terms of quality and refinement as the Q7, As long as you dont care about brand, and the fake luxury that audi sells, Kia Telluride is a good choice,

Audi Service is terrible to be light,

Ownership costs are extremely high,
1. Fixing dents
2. Fixing Paint Damage
3. Constant wheel alignments
4. Miscellanous fixes that Audi does not cover
- such as vehicle diagnosis
5. Drivetrain issues
6. Squealing brakes
7. Various noise issues

The only good thing about the Audi ownership is Audi Aftercare which covers most regular maintenanceP, or else you would be looking at $300-600 per service.

I also paid for audi aftercare protection appearance package, for $2500, which is supposed to cover all appearance related minor non-collison related damages, but there are so many clauses, it only covers $500 in windhshield replacement, $2000 in paint, and wheel repair up to $600, Paintless dent removable is technically unlimited but it is a scam, mine paitnless dents are all being referred to be fixed by a bodyshop under Paint Damage, and they quoted me $1800 for two small dents, which basically uses up all my package limits.

My ADVICE: Buy the Kia, But if you DO buy the Audi, DO NOT BUY ANY ADD-ON PACKAGES: Ex. Audi After care appearance, Mechanical Breakdown protection, etc...
They literally will scam you on this. Trust me through my experience.

I am only giving you honest advice through experience.

SVJ 05-11-2020 04:28 AM

When I was buying my '17 Q7 Prestige last year that was exactly my choice. I went down to Kia to test drive its top trim Telluride, but none of the dealers had it in stock. Top trim was by pre-order only. So, I test drove the best they had on the lot.
Routine handling on a highway and streets is very close to Q7. ADAS is more intrusive than Q7's and what I would like.
Fit and finish inside and outside is far behind Q7, although rear license plate holder on Q7 still irks me. Lots more convenient cupholders and chargers on Telluride.
It all came down to the price. They wanted $53K+ out of the door for Telluride and I had to wait 2-3 weeks for delivery. I got my Q7 for $7K less. Never been happier.

BigKutta 05-11-2020 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by whyman (Post 25454331)
To be honest, after owning a 2018 Q7, and having previously owned a Kia Sorento SX V6, which has the same engine in the Telluride, I'd go for the Telluride which is 90% of the car in terms of quality and refinement as the Q7, As long as you dont care about brand, and the fake luxury that audi sells, Kia Telluride is a good choice,

Audi Service is terrible to be light,

Ownership costs are extremely high,
1. Fixing dents
2. Fixing Paint Damage
3. Constant wheel alignments
4. Miscellanous fixes that Audi does not cover
- such as vehicle diagnosis
5. Drivetrain issues
6. Squealing brakes
7. Various noise issues

The only good thing about the Audi ownership is Audi Aftercare which covers most regular maintenanceP, or else you would be looking at $300-600 per service.

I also paid for audi aftercare protection appearance package, for $2500, which is supposed to cover all appearance related minor non-collison related damages, but there are so many clauses, it only covers $500 in windhshield replacement, $2000 in paint, and wheel repair up to $600, Paintless dent removable is technically unlimited but it is a scam, mine paitnless dents are all being referred to be fixed by a bodyshop under Paint Damage, and they quoted me $1800 for two small dents, which basically uses up all my package limits.

My ADVICE: Buy the Kia, But if you DO buy the Audi, DO NOT BUY ANY ADD-ON PACKAGES: Ex. Audi After care appearance, Mechanical Breakdown protection, etc...
They literally will scam you on this. Trust me through my experience.

I am only giving you honest advice through experience.

OP - Im not sure what any of the issues 1-3 listed have anything to do with just a Q7. If you are going to get dents and dings, you'll get them on a Kia too. I've had no alignment issues on my Q7, nor needed any diagnostics in 3 years. Nor experienced 5, 6, 7. So, not saying it doesn't happen, but its not widespread. And yes, NEVER buy add-on dealer money maker packages, regardless of Kia or Audi. I'm sure kia sells them too. They are high margin items for the seller, and complete waste of money in the guise of peace of mind for the buyer.

Originally Posted by SVJ (Post 25454339)
When I was buying my '17 Q7 Prestige last year that was exactly my choice. I went down to Kia to test drive its top trim Telluride, but none of the dealers had it in stock. Top trim was by pre-order only. So, I test drove the best they had on the lot.
Routine handling on a highway and streets is very close to Q7. ADAS is more intrusive than Q7's and what I would like.
Fit and finish inside and outside is far behind Q7, although rear license plate holder on Q7 still irks me. Lots more convenient cupholders and chargers on Telluride.
It all came down to the price. They wanted $53K+ out of the door for Telluride and I had to wait 2-3 weeks for delivery. I got my Q7 for $7K less. Never been happier.

I have no interest in Kia so have no clue, but this is the stuff to look for. Are the performance, build quality, fit/finish, similar? What about long-term durability? My German cars can go 8, 10, 12 years no problem, will a Kia? Since you probably know both cars better, only you can decide.

LudQ7 05-11-2020 07:16 AM

When it comes down to it, you have to ask yourself if you're OK with brand names. A vehicle such as a KIA, Honda, Toyota etc will offer you the same practicality and get you from point A to point B. Pulling up to your next event ( pre Covid), valet service, or even pulling into your own driveway and seeing your neighbor parking his brand new Benz, Bimmer, Lexus etc. It's a competition, its nice to have nice things but you have to decide if you will be happy/satisfied with hard touch plastic, and not as nice materials as you would get in a luxury vehicle. At the end of the day it's about EGO. I personally went from a Mercedes E 550 (80k vehicle), to a Jeep Cherokee, then to a Lexus IS, and now the Q7... being in the jeep made me feel a certain type of way i'll be honest. There was nothing wrong with the Jeep, it functioned as it should with no problems, but the feel of the leather, door knob, buttons etc, even the way the door slams shut.... it's different when comparing to Luxury. What matters is your pocket, and your EGO. Shopping at the GAP and shopping at Louis Vuitton makes you feel different. If you can afford it then go for it and TREAT YO SELF, :)
Every vehicle depreciates, if it makes sense, I personally would lease. Please keep us updated and send pics of the Kia should you decide to purchase, and by the way the Kia is a BEAUTIFUL vehicle.

Eddie Ved 05-11-2020 04:08 PM

2018 Q7 Prestige owner. I test drove a loaded (limited?) Hyundai Palisade (not a Telluride but shares the same value traits). The Palisade all loaded is much less than my Q7 though I got it for a 15%+ MSRP discount. Palisade was impressive (especially some of the tech in dash turn signal camera and infotainment aspects...nice widescreen with plenty of connectivity) but it was immediately noticeable it did not feel as solid and nicely put together as the Q7. We just celebrated 1 year ownership of the Q7 and we enjoy every single ride on it. The Palisade though nice and may be even at par with the Q7 in terms of latest tech, it just didn't feel as responsive, quiet, fun and well put together. I probably paid about $15K more for the Q7 and I feel like it was worth it. Ultimately, it's your money and which car is worth it.

sidewinder1 05-17-2020 09:29 AM

just reporting back ...ended up with a 18 vw atlas with 15kmi for $34k (actual sticker was $51k). it is a top of the line sel premium with awd and all the tech goodies including a cool full digital dash that even a telluride is missing. it also has a factory 6yr 72k mi b2b warranty of which 4 yr 4mos is currently left. its a poor man's audi sort of but with much more utility. of course not as much power as the q7 but still adequate.

https://images.autotrader.com/hn/c/a...218498c555.jpg

https://images.autotrader.com/hn/c/e...1e1eef9502.jpg

https://images.autotrader.com/hn/c/9...e5655ede2a.jpg

bikerneil 05-21-2020 06:08 AM

Sorry, but the Atlas is not in the same category or class as the Q7 (aside from perhaps size and having 4 tires).

whyman 05-21-2020 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by bikerneil (Post 25458324)
Sorry, but the Atlas is not in the same category or class as the Q7 (aside from perhaps size and having 4 tires).

LOLOLOL, that was a huge insult.

I have a 2018 Q7, but it drives like a turdbox, it steering is so bad, it constantly wants to go off center and pull right,

It feels like car is high on one side, but that might be due to being rear ended at 15mph, but the body shop says there shouldnt be any frame damage