Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

2017 Audi Q7 road test thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I was in same boat as you, on deciding which SUV to go with - X5 vs Q7.

Coming from existing BMW, I was initially biased towards the X5. No denying that the X5 (xDrive 35i) drives like a beast and handles corner very well. Its a thrilling ride. However, when you step into the Q7, not only is it more refined and quiet, it surprisingly handles well also (not at par with the X5).

In the end, the defining questions for me were -

1. Its an SUV and so will never be using it on race track, so think overall utility (the Q7 3T has enough juice for everyday local and highway driving).

2. We needed a 7 seater SUV, so although the Q7 is no Ford Expedition, it does offer tad more leg room than the X5 in third row (at no additional cost).

3. If you are tech savvy, then definitely look at the Q7 with the virtual cockpit and drivers assistance package. Even though the MY18 BMW X5 has been packaged with the updated iDrive 5.0 (similar to one on new 7 series except the gesture controls), I believe the Audi MMI is still great to use and even offers CarPlay/Android auto at no extra cost. The interior ambiance lighting is definitely eye catching and makes a big difference during night driving.

4. Wind noise, design, comfort and convenience were the other factors.

So, an overall comparison of the two vehicles made us go for the Q7. Package-wise I believe the Q7 offers far more bang for the buck while not compromising on any major feature.

Hope this helps. Cheers.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by sr007
I was in same boat as you, on deciding which SUV to go with - X5 vs Q7.

Coming from existing BMW, I was initially biased towards the X5. No denying that the X5 (xDrive 35i) drives like a beast and handles corner very well. Its a thrilling ride. However, when you step into the Q7, not only is it more refined and quiet, it surprisingly handles well also (not at par with the X5).

In the end, the defining questions for me were -

1. Its an SUV and so will never be using it on race track, so think overall utility (the Q7 3T has enough juice for everyday local and highway driving).

2. We needed a 7 seater SUV, so although the Q7 is no Ford Expedition, it does offer tad more leg room than the X5 in third row (at no additional cost).

3. If you are tech savvy, then definitely look at the Q7 with the virtual cockpit and drivers assistance package. Even though the MY18 BMW X5 has been packaged with the updated iDrive 5.0 (similar to one on new 7 series except the gesture controls), I believe the Audi MMI is still great to use and even offers CarPlay/Android auto at no extra cost. The interior ambiance lighting is definitely eye catching and makes a big difference during night driving.

4. Wind noise, design, comfort and convenience were the other factors.

So, an overall comparison of the two vehicles made us go for the Q7. Package-wise I believe the Q7 offers far more bang for the buck while not compromising on any major feature.

Hope this helps. Cheers.
I agree with all of this, especially the bang for your buck part.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had air suspension on my GL450. At just under 5 years and just over 100k miles i had to replace 2 corners and the compressor system. 6k in repairs. I did not get the air suspension on my Q7.

I also drove the X5 and felt it was no comparison to the Q7 in terms of driving/handling/comfort/performance.

FWIW there was a recent comparison(car and driver i think) between the 2 with the volvo and a range rover included. BMW last, Q7 first. Subjective I know.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just returned from the Q7 test drive. No contest for all the reasons stated above plus more. I finally found the right vehicle after looking at and test driving luxury compact and midsize cars and luxury SUV's from all major brands. This SUV has easily the best overall package for me.

I will not be ordering the air suspension, the Prestige Package with the standard suspension was awesome.

Thanks you for your help.

Geoff
Old 04-28-2017, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by gm56
I just returned from the Q7 test drive. No contest for all the reasons stated above plus more. I finally found the right vehicle after looking at and test driving luxury compact and midsize cars and luxury SUV's from all major brands. This SUV has easily the best overall package for me.

I will not be ordering the air suspension, the Prestige Package with the standard suspension was awesome.

Thanks you for your help.

Geoff
Good choice!