AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q7 MKII Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mkii-discussion-211/)
-   -   2017 Q7 BRAKE ISSUES, NO FIX IN SIGHT (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mkii-discussion-211/2017-q7-brake-issues-no-fix-sight-2934072/)

JONPRAC 10-05-2017 06:57 AM

2017 Q7 BRAKE ISSUES, NO FIX IN SIGHT

I have a 2017 q7 in New York with 9500 miles on it car is 7 months old the brakes squeal like crazy. Audi USA is absolutely useless. They clam fault and they are working on a fix and should be soon. soon as in a year. its been 7 months they are just pushing peoples buttons and playing pass the puck. My dealer changed my pads out of there pocket to make me happy because I told them if they cant fix this they can have the car back. It did make me happy that they stepped up but I have to tell you I am really not happy with the way Audi USA has handled this. I will never buy another Audi over this. Anyone else here having same issue.

djpeaksd 10-05-2017 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by JONPRAC (Post 25047204)
I have a 2017 q7 in New York with 9500 miles on it car is 7 months old the brakes squeal like crazy. Audi USA is absolutely useless. They clam fault and they are working on a fix and should be soon. soon as in a year. its been 7 months they are just pushing peoples buttons and playing pass the puck. My dealer changed my pads out of there pocket to make me happy because I told them if they cant fix this they can have the car back. It did make me happy that they stepped up but I have to tell you I am really not happy with the way Audi USA has handled this. I will never buy another Audi over this. Anyone else here having same issue.

My S7 brakes squeal like crazy, my buddies RS7 same thing, my other buddies S4, same thing. Im not telling you its an Audi thing but it seems to be. Different pads should fix (not Audi pads). I do get your frustration, its more of an embarrassing thing as you pull up to the drive through coffee place and your brakes are squealing like crazy.

BO_Mansfield 10-05-2017 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by JONPRAC (Post 25047204)

My 2016 S6 had the same issue and I took it in around 10k miles. Dealer said this is normal behavior for the type of pads used. A quick search will tell you MANY people have complained about this across different Audi models.

BlackOptic 10-05-2017 10:30 AM

My 2015 Mk1 Q7 has 28,000 miles, and has been in for two or three services. Each time, I ask them to "look at, and try to reduce the break squeaking"... But alas, no real option/fix. I'm with those that say this just seems to be a common trait. I've learned to live with it. I have made a point to mention it, so that "squeaky brakes" is in the service record since day one. In case some warrantee/advisory comes out in the future.

mcdream 10-05-2017 11:06 AM

Haven't gone to the dealer with this yet but I've also got the same issue. Fortunitely no issues during braking while driving forwards but when reversing it's a totally different story.
Other Audi I've got has ceramic brakes and no issues at all with them. Previous generation Q7 didn't have this issue either.

RJC 1 10-05-2017 11:11 AM

It's brakes not breaks...lol

JONPRAC 10-05-2017 11:15 AM

UPDATE

after complaining to audi usa and them ignoring me the dealer stepped up agreed to put all new pads and rotors all around and hopefully it will by me some time for them to go to a new pad...

bkafrick 10-05-2017 11:50 AM

I have no issues whatsoever. 13,000 miles. No squeaking.

Eppieguy 10-05-2017 12:03 PM

I'm at 8600 miles, not a sound thankfully.

RJC 1 10-05-2017 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by JONPRAC (Post 25047315)
after complaining to audi usa and them ignoring me the dealer stepped up agreed to put all new pads and rotors all around and hopefully it will by me some time for them to go to a new pad...

From my experience with the brand thus far, this appears to be a most unwelcome trait of Audi/USA.
I'm glad your dealership stepped up (kudos to them), but they should not have had to.

Force-1 10-05-2017 03:24 PM

Both of my S5's did/do it, same with Q7. Sometimes to correct it I do a series of high speed braking (get up to 50 or so, slam on brakes, repeat). Learned that when my C6 Corvettes had same issue. Usually works.

AndroidRobot 10-06-2017 08:25 AM

Maybe you should RTM and properly bed your brakes. It's a side effect of brembo style brakes and occurs on most if not all cars I've driving with them. Try doing a 40-0mph stop by slamming on the brakes with full force a few times. This will bed the brake pads and help quite a bit. There's a similar discussion in the SQ5 subforum with the above solution.

Nedstand 10-07-2017 05:29 AM

Our brakes squeal also. At 13,000 miles now, not sure when it started. My wife says it's worse when the Q7 is cold, and gets better as it warms up.
My A6s never had this issue.

zelosu 10-08-2017 09:46 AM

My Q7 was less then 10k miles when the rotors warped; Car was NOT driven aggressively at all.
The dealer agreed to replace rotos and pads but not without blaming me for the issue.

My other car is a 2013 A6 that also had warped rotors at about 20k. I went aftermarket and put Zimmerman rotors on it and now it has 50k miles and zero issues.

I may be wrong but I feel Audi uses poor quality parts on their brake systems.

Force-1 10-08-2017 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by zelosu (Post 25048591)
My Q7 was less then 10k miles when the rotors warped; Car was NOT driven aggressively at all.
The dealer agreed to replace rotos and pads but not without blaming me for the issue.

My other car is a 2013 A6 that also had warped rotors at about 20k. I went aftermarket and put Zimmerman rotors on it and now it has 50k miles and zero issues.

I may be wrong but I feel Audi uses poor quality parts on their brake systems.

Myth - brake rotors do not warp.

LexusLSguy 10-08-2017 04:04 PM

Yeah, pad deposits on the surface of the rotors give the same sensation as the rotor itself warping. Very common mistake. I also recommend using a different pad. OEM pads are rather harsh on the rotors. I prefer something a little softer with less brake dust.

RJC 1 10-08-2017 04:30 PM

I'm amazed how little dust there is with ours...of all the euros cars I've owned over the years, the 7's are some of the best.

Brake rotors can be manufactured out of tolerance/round, causing squealing, shudder in the wheel when braking at speed etc.
Brake rotors can warp when extremely hot, then directly exposed to cold water...some drive right into a car wash or take a cold hose to them right after very aggressive driving.

larryV 10-08-2017 05:07 PM

Our '17 with 12k miles that has been mostly driven in plenty of stop & go city traffic with only occasional highway have had squeal-free and dust-free brakes. I'm actually quite amazed at this considering how large the rotors are and how relatively heavy the Q7 is compared to our past Audis. Our SQ5 and RS7 both had extremely noisy and dust-heavy brakes. After each wash, both cars would have nasty brake-dust covered wheels in less than a week. The Q7 on the other hand has not only be silent but can go for well over a month with dust-free wheels that I'd actually have to get the car washed because the body would get dirtier from water spots and bird crap during the that time. This is the first and only car I've ever owned that's like this.

JT4 10-09-2017 10:42 AM

I hope I don't jinx myself, but so far 2,500 miles with no squealing and not much brake dust at all..

Bozman5000 10-09-2017 11:17 AM

12,000 and no squealing or brake dust.

noxqzs 10-09-2017 01:32 PM

I am at 22k and mine squeal like nobody's business for the fist few feet and then all is normal. It drives my wife nuts as I get just the right speed for it to be loudest. To be honest with the exception of the SOS malfunction early on, I have had zero issues , so I am content until I get my first brake job.

lapi 10-11-2017 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by noxqzs (Post 25049216)
I am at 22k and mine squeal like nobody's business for the fist few feet and then all is normal. It drives my wife nuts as I get just the right speed for it to be loudest. To be honest with the exception of the SOS malfunction early on, I have had zero issues , so I am content until I get my first brake job.

Mine started to squeal when on forward gear and break. This is crazy. I am going to check with the dealer, since he put me in some kind of notify list when a solution is available.

Isai1993 10-26-2017 03:27 PM

Same Issue

Have been having the same issue with my 2017 Q7. Every time backing out of the driveway the breaks squeal like I don't have any pads on. Taken to the dealership 4 different times and been told its normal but they will clean off the rotors for me. After an hour long discussion with Audi USA the other day, no solution was offered other than to "wait it out" and "not everything is perfect". After spending over $80K on a car thats just over a year old, I shouldn't have to, nor want to, slam on my brakes from 40mph-0mph to try and avoid the embarrassing squeak. Getting ready to get rid of the Q7 and either go for a GLS or a Range Rover.

RJC 1 10-26-2017 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Isai1993 (Post 25058219)
Have been having the same issue with my 2017 Q7. Every time backing out of the driveway the breaks squeal like I don't have any pads on. Taken to the dealership 4 different times and been told its normal but they will clean off the rotors for me. After an hour long discussion with Audi USA the other day, no solution was offered other than to "wait it out" and "not everything is perfect". After spending over $80K on a car thats just over a year old, I shouldn't have to, nor want to, slam on my brakes from 40mph-0mph to try and avoid the embarrassing squeak. Getting ready to get rid of the Q7 and either go for a GLS or a Range Rover.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, they build great vehicles, but they don't fully back up their product. The VAG global settlement has this company on highly tightened purse strings according to several reports...and guess who indirectly pays for their misdeeds? You guessed it, us!

rsilvers129 10-27-2017 12:24 AM

Basic Bed-In Procedure
1. After installing new disc rotors and/or brake pads, perform eight to 10 slowdowns applying moderate pressure from about 30 to 40 mph (50 to 60 kph) without coming to a stop.
2. Make an additional two or three slowdowns applying heavy pressure from about 40 to 45 mph (60 to 70 kph) without coming to a stop.
3. DO NOT DRAG THE BRAKES.
4. Allow at least 15 minutes for the brake system to cool down.
5. While the car is at rest during cool-down, DO NOT APPLY THE BRAKES. If you do, material will transfer from the pads to the rotor and probably give you braking vibration.

djpeaksd 10-27-2017 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Isai1993 (Post 25058219)

You are going to sell your Q7 because of squeaky brakes? GLS or Range Rover huh?
If it is a major deal for you I would strongly suggest just getting some new brake pads (Not Audi) pads. If you like everything about the Q7 it will save you thousands of dollars in the end to switch to a quieter pad instead of selling your car and getting a Range Rover. Sorry to say, you will have more problems then just brakes if you get a Rover. BTW my buddy has a RR Sport and he complains about his squeaky brakes all the time, just saying.

Eppieguy 10-27-2017 09:55 AM

Seems to me that this brake issue may be some type of German car issue? Our last 2 S550's have done the same thing, drives us nuts!

Lectoid 10-27-2017 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by rsilvers129 (Post 25058380)
Basic Bed-In Procedure
1. After installing new disc rotors and/or brake pads, perform eight to 10 slowdowns applying moderate pressure from about 30 to 40 mph (50 to 60 kph) without coming to a stop.
2. Make an additional two or three slowdowns applying heavy pressure from about 40 to 45 mph (60 to 70 kph) without coming to a stop.
3. DO NOT DRAG THE BRAKES.
4. Allow at least 15 minutes for the brake system to cool down.
5. While the car is at rest during cool-down, DO NOT APPLY THE BRAKES. If you do, material will transfer from the pads to the rotor and probably give you braking vibration.

I wonder how much the brakes are used from the time the car rolls off the assembly line till it's driven off the lot. Don't most cars have at least 7-11 miles on them at purchase?

RJC 1 10-27-2017 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Eppieguy (Post 25058627)
Seems to me that this brake issue may be some type of German car issue? Our last 2 S550's have done the same thing, drives us nuts!

Make sure no tire detail spray gets on the rotors, some of that stuff can be viscos.

rsilvers129 10-27-2017 09:17 PM

How to Fix Squeaky Brakes the Right Way

lapi 11-05-2017 03:02 PM

Mine started squealing when apply breaks on forward motion as well. I am gong to take it to the dealer, my SA said he will "do something" if it becomes more annoying. Will see.

Trevor K 11-06-2017 07:22 AM

I brought this up to my service manager and he gave me a piece of paper on why brakes make noise. Do not insult my intelligence, I know WHY brakes make noise. This is not a Chrysler and I didn't pay top dollar for squealing brakes. This is not a designed feature of the car and I want it fixed under warranty. I want to know what you're going to do to fix the brakes so they don't make noise while backing out of my driveway. The embarrassment backing out of driveways with neighbors nearby is so high that I shift the car into neutral to coast to a stop. That doesn't work on my driveway which is on an incline, but I do that where I can. My neighbors Honda Odyssey doesn't make that noise and cost half as much.

manguyen 11-16-2017 12:25 PM

Posting this here to document the noise we're getting on our 2017 Q7. We do have about 30K miles on it but this has been making noise for quite some time. Never really paid much attention until I was outside and heard the brakes.

BigKutta 11-16-2017 12:32 PM

That is a nasty sound, and completely unacceptable, wtf?!?! I'd park the Q at the dealer and leave it there until they fix it

Kidentist 11-16-2017 12:42 PM

Aftermarket Brake Kit? Helped with my old S5 (I used Stoptech).

RJC 1 11-16-2017 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by BigKutta (Post 25068664)
That is a nasty sound, and completely unacceptable, wtf?!?! I'd park the Q at the dealer and leave it there until they fix it

+1

Hope they make this right for you...how embarrassing (your neighbors must luv hearing this).

djpeaksd 11-16-2017 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by manguyen (Post 25068659)
Posting this here to document the noise we're getting on our 2017 Q7. We do have about 30K miles on it but this has been making noise for quite some time. Never really paid much attention until I was outside and heard the brakes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3K2VU__XDHE

Are most you guys hearing this only in the morning when the car is cold and it is cold outside? Or does this happen all the time backing up, no matter outside weather or car temperature?

noxqzs 11-16-2017 02:16 PM

Mine only does it after sitting for hours, and it does it every morning rain or shine hot or cold. I also have about 24k on mine and with last service they measured the pads at ~7mm.

BigKutta 11-16-2017 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by djpeaksd (Post 25068705)
Are most you guys hearing this only in the morning when the car is cold and it is cold outside? Or does this happen all the time backing up, no matter outside weather or car temperature?

Shouldn't matter. None of my cars have ever done this hot or cold. I'd be asking for new pads and rotors all around (and likely different brand). That sound is embarrassing regardless of car brand

petery129 11-16-2017 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by noxqzs (Post 25068707)
Mine only does it after sitting for hours, and it does it every morning rain or shine hot or cold. I also have about 24k on mine and with last service they measured the pads at ~7mm.

Mine too, it would do that in the morning and after work, some times it does that while braking going forward. I have little over 23K on mine. I am used to the sound, it's like having a backup alarm. :rolleyes: