Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

2017 Q7 BRAKE ISSUES, NO FIX IN SIGHT

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gsobol
Well, Jeremy Clarkson (Grand Tour - Season 2 Episode 4) mentioned that you can't have the new TTRS because of the squealing brakes (last 2 minutes of the show). He drove 3 different ones for the show and all of them had it.
Yes Jeremy was right. When today I went with my SQ7 for warranty squealing brakes and few other thing I mentioned about it to Service Manager. Unfortunately they do not have sense of humor here in Poland.
I pointed also about pending TSB in USA and of course he said can not relay here in Europe on US TSB. I said of course you will do everything to avoid responsibility and explain to be that squealing brakes, noise in back door or lane assist which is so close to right line on the lane + horrible central speaker voice via bluetooth is not a bug but feauture. Anyhow will update you on results during the weekend. X-fingers
Old 01-16-2018, 12:45 PM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by RickObe
I have not. I had it last winter, then didn't notice it over the summer. This winter it's back.
That's what I figured, I took delivery of my Q7 in May and all was quiet until the weather started getting much colder.. So I am hoping the noise goes away in the spring. The thing I find strange is that in my case it only occurs in the morning after it has sat overnight.. For example, Saturday night we went out and parked for 6 hours in the cold. Got back in later at night, it was around 20 degrees and when I drove away there was no noise..

Sunday morning (approx 7 hours later) it was 15 degrees and they were squealing like crazy when I pulled out of the driveway.

Originally Posted by Nedstand
Our Q7 brakes make a similar awful noise, and in LA, it's summer 50 weeks a year, but not so humid.
Ugh, I was really hoping it was happening because of the cold..
Old 01-17-2018, 04:51 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

So I called my service advisor and I barely had to explain the brake squealing noise when she told me that they have had a ton of complaints. She said that it's not just the Q7 but other models are affected also. As we've heard on the forum, she explained that a fix is in the works and added me to a PSS list so that when a fix is available I will be contacted.

Of course she didn't have an answer for me in regards to when I could expect a fix to be available, but she did say that her GM had recently mentioned to them in a meeting that it should be coming soon since Audi has been working on it for a while now.

I told her that I was surprised that I was being added to the "fix" list even though they haven't duplicated my issue.. She said that since they have had so many complaints, and have duplicated the noise on a lot of vehicles they're really not questioning customers they are familiar with who call in..

So if nothing else, I am glad that at least there is now a record of me complaining about this, just in case it ever becomes more of an issue for me than it currently is..

Last edited by JT4; 01-17-2018 at 04:54 AM.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought the q7 in feb 2016 and the brake sound have gotten worse and worse. The Dealership has no solution and fix, as has been noted on this thread. With a low mileage car, I don't want to pay for aftermarket products right now. Audi should fix this for their buyers. My car sounds like the one in the video in this thread and it is crazy. Between this brake noise on the outside the the steering column noise on the inside, it is a bit much lol. (separate to thread, but working on the Audi dealer to replace steering column as anytime they tried to fix it, the noise remained). Having that said, this is my first Audi and there are a lot of things I love about the car. The noise should be taken car of by Audi asap IMO. They have been dragging their feet for too long
Old 01-29-2018, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

1500 miles on my 2018 in Wisconsin with no issues. I may have missed this but do more of the problems seem to be with regular suspension Q7's? Ours is equipped with air suspension. Just curious.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have been dealing with it since we've owned the car. Started about 3 months after we bought it (purchased March 2017). I've done the hard stops, washed the rotors and pads, etc... to no success.

Hey, 95% of the other things work without issue. I know this 5% is annoying, paying $65K+ for a vehicle and cars worth a tenth of that don't have the issue. It is what it is.

I'm sure they've been testing a fix and hopefully it'll work is most cases. I think people just need to relax. Stop whining. You are starting to sound like the brakes on the Audi ..... With a competitive marketplace, I'm sure they're trying to find a solution that works for all before the brand's image takes a hit.
Old 01-29-2018, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by WausauS8
1500 miles on my 2018 in Wisconsin with no issues. I may have missed this but do more of the problems seem to be with regular suspension Q7's? Ours is equipped with air suspension. Just curious.
Air Suspension here in Minnesota and it is just AWFUL!!!
Old 01-30-2018, 04:56 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Just an observation... From the middle of last week the weather here warmed up, was in the mid to high 40's then this past weekend the weather was in the low to mid 50's which felt like summer compared to what we've had. And for the first time in approx 6 weeks the brakes didn't make a single sound after the initial morning drive off.

The Q7 won't be used today but the weather is back to 30 degrees with a light snow and sleet mix, so it will be interesting to see if it sounds like a freight train tomorrow morning.
Old 01-30-2018, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

From Long Island and same observation as JT4. Brakes have been quiet since it warmed up from a recent prolonged period of very cold temps.
Old 01-30-2018, 06:19 PM
Audi Q7 Prestige'18 Owner

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Here is an interesting article/video about brake noise from Audi cousin Porsche. Porsche Is Tired Of People Complaining About Brake Squeal So It Made This Video

Quick Reply: 2017 Q7 BRAKE ISSUES, NO FIX IN SIGHT