Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

2017 Q7 BRAKE ISSUES, NO FIX IN SIGHT

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 04:57 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

I finally had the TSB done this past Sat and so far so good.. As of yesterday morning with 30 degree temps I had no noise...

Last year when I was first told about a TSB coming out I was told they would be replacing the rotors and the pads. So I asked my SA why they only replaced the pads and he told me that they were originally nformed that the rotors and pads were being replaced. However, after the final TSB was issued it only called for the pads to be replaced..

Regardless I'm happy, my rotors are fine and I just rec'd new pads after driving on them for over 13K mile...
Old 02-12-2019, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi I am from Canada and have the same problem with my wifes 2017 Q7...dealership says they are high performance brakes intended for aggressive braking and if you don't drive your audi hard they will squeak...obviously this is just a bunch of horse manure...Audi Canada even brought out a brochure explaining this..our previous generation Q7 never had any issues and our newer q7 has had a bunch of issues ...I think audis new brake pads are just not right and they are avoiding doing a recall on them. I have also had 2008 A5 no issues.my 2018 s5 no issues..why they can't just admit and swap our the pads with Wagners is beyond me ..my buddy owns the dealership and even replaced the pads for free once...they were fine for about 1 month then the queak came back...it is very embarrassing to have a beautiful expensive car and back up with a sound that is ear piercing.. I am waiting until spring and I will take it to my buddies VW dealership and swap out the pads for after market pads.. Audi has really dropped the ball on this one...too bad other then that they are amazing cars..Cheers Todd
Old 02-12-2019, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You know what Jeremey Clarkson commented on Audi brakes....????
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tskr9oi7xm...rkson.mp4?dl=0

Enjoy.

BTW my brakes in SQ7 after 4k kilometers from doing TSB started to squeak ;(

Last edited by rafi.kadafi; 02-12-2019 at 12:36 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:26 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by toddss5
Hi I am from Canada and have the same problem with my wifes 2017 Q7...dealership says they are high performance brakes intended for aggressive braking and if you don't drive your audi hard they will squeak...obviously this is just a bunch of horse manure...Audi Canada even brought out a brochure explaining this..our previous generation Q7 never had any issues and our newer q7 has had a bunch of issues ...I think audis new brake pads are just not right and they are avoiding doing a recall on them. I have also had 2008 A5 no issues.my 2018 s5 no issues..why they can't just admit and swap our the pads with Wagners is beyond me ..my buddy owns the dealership and even replaced the pads for free once...they were fine for about 1 month then the queak came back...it is very embarrassing to have a beautiful expensive car and back up with a sound that is ear piercing.. I am waiting until spring and I will take it to my buddies VW dealership and swap out the pads for after market pads.. Audi has really dropped the ball on this one...too bad other then that they are amazing cars..Cheers Todd
Welcome to AW.. I see you're from Canada and understand that Audi may handle things differently there, but it couldn't hurt to mention to Audi Canada the TSB's (2050735/3 or 2050735/1) that Audi issued here in the U.S. regarding this problem.. From what I was told, the replacement pad compound for the pads used in the TSB differ slightly from the OEM pads the Q's left the factory with.

So if your dealer/friend replaced your original pads with the same OEM pads, and not the TSB pads maybe that is why the noise came back?

I only have the TSB pads on for two weeks now and so far so good, but I will report back if the squeal returns..

Last edited by JT4; 02-13-2019 at 04:29 AM.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by JT4
Welcome to AW.. I see you're from Canada and understand that Audi may handle things differently there, but it couldn't hurt to mention to Audi Canada the TSB's (2050735/3 or 2050735/1) that Audi issued here in the U.S. regarding this problem.. From what I was told, the replacement pad compound for the pads used in the TSB differ slightly from the OEM pads the Q's left the factory with.

So if your dealer/friend replaced your original pads with the same OEM pads, and not the TSB pads maybe that is why the noise came back?

I only have the TSB pads on for two weeks now and so far so good, but I will report back if the squeal returns..
Thanks for the info. That totally makes sense. I hope you are right and the compound has changed. It will be interesting to no if your squeak comes back. It took two months for ours to return and now it is at the ear piercing sound
Old 02-18-2019, 10:17 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by toddss5
Thanks for the info. That totally makes sense. I hope you are right and the compound has changed. It will be interesting to no if your squeak comes back. It took two months for ours to return and now it is at the ear piercing sound
Does your noise go away after several mins of driving? Even when mine were making noise in the cold weather, usually after 5 mins +/- of driving the noise would go away..
Old 02-19-2019, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Went in for 20k service today and they didn't have the brake parts but ordered them for me. No fuss about it. I'm glad my dealership has been excellent between this and the MMI update for the camera (which has been flawless so far), next closet is almost an hour away.
Old 02-19-2019, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Went in for a 10k service and I let them know that my brakes were making noise. They applied the Service bulletin and ordered me new brakes. No fuss also !
Old 02-20-2019, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Good Day Jason... yes the noise does go away after a few minutes of driving..good new for Canada is Audi Canada issued a TSB for the front brake pads and a set of clips October 2018 so my dealer now has me on a wait list until the parts come ...since my buddy owns the dealer ship I am hoping it will be sooner then later...but not holding my breath..I will update once it is done
Old 03-15-2019, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

The fix is in and according to my lack of info advisor been doing it for months after another advisor corrected him. Anyway, just got it done yesterday, a lot better braking

Quick Reply: 2017 Q7 BRAKE ISSUES, NO FIX IN SIGHT