Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

2017 Q7 - Car Wash

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 09:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanpfutz
My q7 is arriving next week, but I own three express automated car washes. Although you might think im biased, I understand the whole industry very well having run both full serve hand washes and self serve coin operated washes as well. We attend every convention and are constantly trying to improve the wash process to decrease damage and innovate with new computer controlled technology. My family has a 2015 Z06 corvette, 2015 BMW X5, 2013 Mercedes c250 and soon to be 2017 Audi Q7. All but the Mercedes has xpel film and each is washed at least 2x-3x per week through our automated express tunnels.

Here are what washes I recommend (in order from best to worst) and some pros and cons about each wash type followed by what to do while washing your baby:
1. Newer Express car wash : this is what I own, these washes are characterized by the $3 or $5 price point and free vacuums. Usually the customer rides thru in the vehicle. They use microfiber soft foam and use the least harsh chemicals to clean the car. The equipment is far superior to any other type of washing, which CANNOT result in swirl marks. The new high end spray waxes if applied regularly (get the highest priced unlimited membership) will keep your car looking amazing on the outside. When the inside needs cleaned take it to a full serve wash(just be careful of the business) or do it yourself at an express for free. Damage can usually only happen when another driver puts their car in the wrong gear and or steers out of the track.
2. Full serve car wash: some full serve washes in expensive areas do an amazing job, others neglect their equipment or use hand washing in the tunnel and reuse dirty brushes or sponges . A good way to tell how a car wash business is going to treat your car is to look at their tunnel. If it's dark and dirty they don't usually don't clean their equipment, use cheap soaps, and will be more Likely to hire inexperienced workers. once again steer clear of the one off dark washes that aren't that busy. Damage can happen with inexperienced detailers flashing paint while hand waxing , drivers not knowing how to place your car into gear, finish line guys dropping towels and reusing them (CREATING SWIRL MARKS - which can only be created by a hand wash or hand dry circular motion)
3. Self serve car washes : if using these washes you will likely be re-using a hog hair brush that has been used on 10,000+ cars without being checked for rocks/ debris. Also most damage to paint at these places happen with the high pressure or foam brush hose while cleaning your own car. Just don't do it. It's not worth it, it takes too much time and will cost more than an express at the end of it.
4. Gas station washes: stay away. the equipment is pretty unreliable and just like at full serve washes operators are known for using crappy soaps or diluted chemicals to cut costs

Pertaining to your question. I would make sure to turn off the rain sensing wipers, the rear wiper(if auto), fold the mirrors in, turn off your parking sensors (because they will beep like crazy), and if getting the new "Lava" style upper wash packages with tons of foam...turn down your hvac or put it into recirculating mode so the soap doesn't get sucked into your hvac system and into your vents(I've seen it happen on a few cars but never a q7)
I recently purchased an unlimited pass at a Bubble Wash that opened nearby within the last year. I probably drive through a couple times a week. I hope this is one of the good ones.