Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

2017 Q7 CPO purchase... odometer and quality question

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2017 Q7 CPO purchase... odometer and quality question

So we are the proud owners of a 2017 Q7 3.0T P+ and all in all,what an impressive vehicle... that said, as a first time Audi and CPO buyer, I have some concerns. The car arrived yesterday so we've had it about 24 hours. We bought the car from out of state so had not seen it in person (only pictures/video), so here are my questions:

1) the mileage on the offer and all of our paperwork was 24,505. This is also the official last reading on the carfax. However, upon receiving the car, the mileage is 22,800 or so. On the surface, I'd feel great because there's less mileage, but the more I think about it, the more it bothers me. It had us double and triple checking VIN numbers and everything (the VIN number matches though). What should I be doing about this - if anything?

2) it could just be really bad luck, but we've noticed some chips in the windshield. One is fairly noticeable up close in the middle of the passenger seat's view and the others are smaller on the outer areas of the glass (none are noticeable from even just a few feet away though unless you are focusing on it). I say it could be bad luck because we have driven the car - call it 20 miles - since we got it, but I would like to know what the standard for CPO for a windshield should be? Ie, should it be unblemished or can it have a chip or two in there and still "pass?" Basically I need to know if I should be going after the dealer/certifier on this or not. I unfortunately can't tell from the original pics on the car if the windshield was 100% clean so it makes it hard to for sure know.

Any info much appreciated. Aside from these 2 things, we couldn't be happier with the vehicle.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It was probably 22,505 when they wrote up the paperwork, but mistyped 24,505.
Old 07-14-2017, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by rsilvers129
It was probably 22,505 when they wrote up the paperwork, but mistyped 24,505.
Is that a common thing? For Carfax odometer info to be off? As well as every other document listing the odometer reading?

Also, anybody have any color on windshield quality standards to "pass" as CPO?
Old 07-14-2017, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Also fwiw - the CPO paperwork/checklist has the mileage written in as 24,505 as well. Just seems bizarre. Again, any info appreciated.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

UPDATE: spoke with a separate Audi dealer (just for an "outside" opinion) and he confirmed that if the windshield has just a chip and it has been repaired (or attempted to be repaired), it can pass as certified. If it was a full on crack and/or something in the driver's view, then it cannot be considered CPO.

We had a Safelite tech come this morning, and his evaluation was that the chip had been there for a while and already had gel in it... said it was done poorly but nonethless, the chip was contained.

So just a lesson going forward, just because it's CPO, don't assume that means all the glass is tip top... admittedly though, the car looks essentially brand new everywhere else.

It's really nothing in the grand scheme of things, but just like with buying anything that is worth a lot of dough, you notice EVERYTHING once its yours...

Dealer also said definitely check into that mileage thing though... too much paperwork with "official" odometer readings gets filled out for that to be off by nearly 2k miles... looking into that today.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Bugsy21
UPDATE: spoke with a separate Audi dealer (just for an "outside" opinion) and he confirmed that if the windshield has just a chip and it has been repaired (or attempted to be repaired), it can pass as certified. If it was a full on crack and/or something in the driver's view, then it cannot be considered CPO.

We had a Safelite tech come this morning, and his evaluation was that the chip had been there for a while and already had gel in it... said it was done poorly but nonethless, the chip was contained.

So just a lesson going forward, just because it's CPO, don't assume that means all the glass is tip top... admittedly though, the car looks essentially brand new everywhere else.

It's really nothing in the grand scheme of things, but just like with buying anything that is worth a lot of dough, you notice EVERYTHING once its yours...

Dealer also said definitely check into that mileage thing though... too much paperwork with "official" odometer readings gets filled out for that to be off by nearly 2k miles... looking into that today.
Chips happen, more to some than others, and the Safelite guy is right. As long as its repairable and repaired it should be ok to sell. As for the mileage, its almost impossible for someone to roll back the mileage these days, especially on the digital odometers...I may be wrong?

I'm guessing the dealer always adds some miles when entering it into the system because they account for test drives, etc. and dont want to show a lot of mileage to a customer since it was listed. That's the best I can think of
Old 07-14-2017, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by BigKutta
As for the mileage, its almost impossible for someone to roll back the mileage these days, especially on the digital odometers...I may be wrong?
You would be wrong. There are ways to do it. There are at least two places were the mileage is stored. One is in the instrument cluster computer, the second is in the ECU. It's a lot easier to change the one in instrument cluster, not so easy with ECU. Dealer can check if there is a discrepancy. If there isn't, I would assume mileage is correct, or someone knew what they were doing.
Old 07-14-2017, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by gsobol
You would be wrong. There are ways to do it. There are at least two places were the mileage is stored. One is in the instrument cluster computer, the second is in the ECU. It's a lot easier to change the one in instrument cluster, not so easy with ECU. Dealer can check if there is a discrepancy. If there isn't, I would assume mileage is correct, or someone knew what they were doing.
So most likely an insider job?
Old 07-14-2017, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BigKutta
I'm guessing the dealer always adds some miles when entering it into the system because they account for test drives, etc.
This was basically the explanation I got when I called them. So I'm not worrying about it. Guess I can consider it a nice little cherry on top to have less miles than expected. I'd like to think that nothing nefarious would be going on here... especially on a CPO vehicle consequently coming from an Audi dealership.
Old 07-14-2017, 04:12 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 283 Likes on 203 Posts

FWIW when I traded my 2011 Q7 in for my 2014 the dealer said they would have to replace the windshield as part of CPO process. There was one fairly large chip in lower right, which I had repaired the day it happened (2 weeks after delivery). I had written proof of repair, but dealer said they still had to replace glass to pass CPO.