Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

2017 Q7 - dealer asking $35K for rat damage!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to reach Audi corporate and also filed via Farmers insurance. Will have to see what comes out of it. Even if insurance covers it I don't know how it will affect my premiums because this bill seems more damage from hitting a wall!! If insurance has an issue I will have to look into non-dealer repair options.

I am still shocked that Audi can ship a car without simple protection around that harness where there is damage.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I smell a rat here! If that is the only damage then it should only cost 40 cents and 15 minutes of labor.
The following users liked this post:
haikaa (11-21-2019)
Old 01-21-2018, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

There's no way Audi can void your whole warranty based on your harness wires. example: Lets say your check-engine light comes on and your drive select malfunctioned. You take your car into the dealership and they say they will not honor the warranty. Audi will have to prove that the drive select failed due to the wire issue from the harness. There are laws that protect the consumers on these issues.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

OMG...anything dealer that thinks a single wire like that means a $35,000 wiring harness replacement should be sued for fraud!!! I can't believe a service advisor/manager could actually look you in the eye and suggest this.... Audi Corp. should should absolutely reprimand any dealership that would provide such unethical suggestions. That wire can be repaired/spliced with virtually zero effort and cost. Seriously, I can't believe I am even reading a thread like this.... Time for you to find a new dealer. Perhaps you could call your local news station and offer up this gem of a story for consumer fraud...
Old 01-22-2018, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got these sonar or similar devices and glue traps that might help keep them away, as I've read that they like chewing on the sweet tasting wire coating. They will be back, looking to chew some more and in a nice warm engine.

My cars engine faces these.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I think you should give this dealer the same amount of attention you give any emails saying you have $10 million in a Nigerian bank account.

I could probably fix that with wire cutters, solder, soldering iron, a small section of whatever gauge wire that is and some electrical tape and about 15 minutes. (heck you could probably do it with a wire nut. but I'd be concerned about vibrations). Just make sure the electrical tape is heavy duty and heat resistant.

If the rat only damaged the insulation and not the wire you might not even need that (although it makes me wonder how the sensor got tripped I'd assume some irregularity in voltage/current).
Old 01-23-2018, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I would take it to another Audi dealership and get a second opinion.
Old 01-25-2018, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

On my wife's LR4, mice chewed through the tubes that contain windshield washer fluid. They got the tubes that run to the windshield and the headlight washers. Apparently washer fluid is sweet and they like the taste. And I was told that they chew to wear down their teeth that are constantly growing.

Same thing happened...it is one big harness that had to be replaced, including tubes that run inside the headliner to the back window washer. $500 for the plastic tube harness plus $3000 in labor. I just entered an insurance claim to cover it, less my deductible. I now have multiple mouse traps in my garage with peanut butter bait.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Fix it for 500, sell the car and buy a new one. It will save you more than the 35k they intend to charge you. You should also call and inform them your name is no longer "Mr Moneybags"
Old 06-17-2018, 07:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

FYI

Quick Reply: 2017 Q7 - dealer asking $35K for rat damage!!